Maryland Divers ONLY...Texas Rigging???

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Maryland Divers ONLY...Texas Rigging???

Postby BeardedBeers » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:46 am

If this has been visited in another discussion I do apologize, but I couldnt find anything. So with that being said, anyone use a texas style rigging set up for divers? The reason I ask is because I hunt from the shore. 1. Wader depth in a creek 3.5 to 4 feet and 2. From a Pier 4 to 5 feet deep with wind/changing tides. So I was figuring to make life (or try to at least) a bit easier, I would run about 8 foot of line with 8oz weight per deek. That should accomadate for the wind, tide and small waves with ease of deploying and picking up. I do not anticipate hunting the sea duck zone/gun rig areas anytime soon. Thoughts???
Get'em close enough to feel the wind off their wings and then shoot'em in the lips!
BeardedBeers
Newb

Re: Maryland Divers ONLY...Texas Rigging???

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 pm

I use Texas rig decoys and find that they work best 4 feet or less. I did a few that were longer 6 to 8 feet and they ended up a tangled mess. I use 500 pound.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:00 am

Yes anyhing more than four ft is risky. How many decoys are you running ?
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby BeardedBeers » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:03 am

3 dozen with a dozen on each carbiner.
Get'em close enough to feel the wind off their wings and then shoot'em in the lips!
BeardedBeers
Newb

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 pm

I woud go with regular rigging
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:33 am

The reason texas rigs are convenient is they are easy to deploy and pickup in non moving water like ponds, swamps and impoundments. There isnt wind or current and the small drop weights are just enough to hold them in place in the event of a small breeze. Your downfall on using a texas rig for a diver area would be boat traffic, tide, and wind. If a boat comes up the creek and starts creating a wake, or the wind kicks up, or theres some waves picking up your decoys- those longer lines are going to become a tangled mess. If the creek youre hunting stays pretty mellow with wind and waves though, you could be ok I guess. I prefer long lines myself, theyre pretty simple to pick up and put out even if you are doing it on foot.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:19 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:The reason texas rigs are convenient is they are easy to deploy and pickup in non moving water like ponds, swamps and impoundments. There isnt wind or current and the small drop weights are just enough to hold them in place in the event of a small breeze. Your downfall on using a texas rig for a diver area would be boat traffic, tide, and wind. If a boat comes up the creek and starts creating a wake, or the wind kicks up, or theres some waves picking up your decoys- those longer lines are going to become a tangled mess. If the creek youre hunting stays pretty mellow with wind and waves though, you could be ok I guess. I prefer long lines myself, theyre pretty simple to pick up and put out even if you are doing it on foot.

agree. seems like a good place to put out 2 long lines on foot.
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting