Duck Hunting Forum banner

Local DU chapters

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Montauker 
#1 ·
I am still getting familiar with the Maryland area, I live near the Rockville/Gaithersburg area. Is there a local DH chapter in the area? I'm hoping to volunteer to meet some people in the area and hopefully find some people to hunt with next season.

#5 ·
Bohunt,

Check out the http://www.ducks.org/maryland page for Maryland specific information, including facts about fundraising and projects in Maryland.

You're best bet to get in contact with someone in your area is to reach out to Josh Voelker at jvoelker@ducks.org. He is the MD Regional Director and can put you in touch with the committee that is most local to you.

If for whatever reason you have trouble getting in contact with folks or have questions please feel free to send me a PM.

M

#8 ·
OB-

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get a response last June. DU, as you may know, is a mostly volunteer organization and like many large organizations, both profit and not for profit, it can suffer from its own share of communication failure at times. I've been on on both sides of it, things get nutty at work, you read an email on your phone and 24hrs later its at the bottom of a pile of work, volunteer, honey dos, and the other stuff life throws at you.

Please feel free to reach out to Josh. If you don't get a response in a few days please let me know and I will make sure that someone reaches out to you immediately. I will be away for the next week so my own response may be delayed.

M

#9 ·
Montauker said:
OB-

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get a response last June. DU, as you may know, is a mostly volunteer organization and like many large organizations, both profit and not for profit, it can suffer from its own share of communication failure at times. I've been on on both sides of it, things get nutty at work, you read an email on your phone and 24hrs later its at the bottom of a pile of work, volunteer, honey dos, and the other stuff life throws at you.

Please feel free to reach out to Josh. If you don't get a response in a few days please let me know and I will make sure that someone reaches out to you immediately. I will be away for the next week so my own response may be delayed.

M
I appreciate it, but I made my decision already. I scraped the stickers off my truck and got rid of my DU shirts. If an organization is too big that it can not support its members, it is too big. I have a problem with someone who does not keep my money local or even in the region. Yes, there are some dots on the map of where projects have been done that are near me. The issue I have is that putting up a wood duck box in a wet spot on some farmers land is not a project.

I am stubborn. I also stopped drinking Budweiser products due to http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickal ... n-protest/ . I was a 100% Bud guy. No more.

The 35 bucks I sent to North Dakota each year I can spend on gas money picking up trash on the Potomac-which I do.

I do thank you for the response though.

ohio

#10 ·
You and I have been down this road before regarding DU and I'll leave it at that, especially because I still enjoy Budweiser :tongue: :beer:

So long as people respect the resource and do more than just take I'm happy.

If you haven't already, I would suggest looking at Maryland Waterfowlers Association http://www.mdwfa.org as an organization that does quite a bit of work in MD in terms of projects, lobbying, and regulatory input.

#12 ·
East Side -

I suggest getting involved with DU, Delta, or even some of the orgs like CCA (fishing) or Isaac Walton League to meet people.

There isn't a ton of public land around here so a lot of people are reserved about sharing information, particularly on the web. I've found that most people are more engaging and have a greater willingness to share experiences and advice when it is face-to-face.

Another way of meeting people is through a club, there are downsides, cost being the biggest, but it is a way to meet people.

Send me a pm if you need contact information for a local chapter of DU or other orgs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.