Sunday Hunting

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Sunday Hunting

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri May 23, 2014 4:08 pm

I just wanted to post this and clear this up. With the All Species Sunday hunting bill passing for Washington, Allegheny and Garrett Counties, that does not mean waterfowl is legal.

The DNR website says:
“Waterfowl hunting is closed on Sundays by Maryland law and federal regulation.”

So basically, we only fixed one problem in Maryland Law, but only in three counties and Federal Regulation will not change until all counties are open on Sundays.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/lwfchart.asp

So, you still can't hunt waterfowl in the three counties, on Sunday, but you can hunt everything else, on Sunday. If you want waterfowl legal on Sundays you have to get the rest of the counties to approve the same bill as these three.

Now, just so you know. Many guys on the eastern shore work schedules allow for getting off during the week and they like the compensatory days that lengthen the season a week or so for them. For those that do not know, compensatory days are added on in December for every Sunday during the season. So the late season opens 12/19 - 1-29 which has 6 Sundays and 2 maybe in November during the Middle Season. So maybe 8 Sunday and that might change the start date from 12/19 to 12/27 or something like that as a reference.

This is a post for knowledge and not having to answer this question to everyone that wants to e-mail as I am Western Region director. I am also the Mod for this Maryland forum and if anyone starts the for or against spiting contests it WILL edit or delete your posts, so play nice. :tongue:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Sunday Hunting

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri May 23, 2014 6:27 pm

So, in a nutshell, to clear things up- IF we get all counties to approve sunday hunting for waterfowl, then it could happen? I would think a federal regulation would apply to all states in the country, or at least in that flyway. I know they permit Sunday waterfowl hunting in many other states, so it can't be just a Federal Regulation stopping this, it has to be a state thing I would think? Im confused. But yea, I wish I could have some "compensatory days" during the week I could hunt. Maybe I should quit and file for unemployment and obamacare and you suckers can pay for my gas and food stamps while I hunt all week :hi:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: Sunday Hunting

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat May 24, 2014 7:24 am

Yes, Sunday hunting for fowl will be allowed if Sunday hunting is approved statewide. Until then, asking for waterfowl will not happen. It's the point I wanted to get across. Once all counties are open on Sundays, I think it would automatically change for waterfowl. If one county is closed on Sunday, no waterfowling on Sunday.

That being said, many waterfowlers, and guide, are against it. MDWFA did a survey years back and I think it was 50/50 split so they did not side either way on the issue. So figure half the guys reading this, are not for it.

Now, the Western Maryland Sportsman Coalition is the group that got this pushed through. They encompass Frederick and Carroll also, but started with the counties they know they could get. If you want Sunday hunting they are the group with the most power. Their Coalition works as the "Associated gun clubs of XX County" is a group and that group is part of the "Western Maryland Sportsman Coalition". They have had clubs from around the state join before, but they never really formed county organizations past Carroll County. So, if you're interested in this, I can get you more information.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting