Gunpowder falls state park

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Gunpowder falls state park

Postby Feelinducky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm going to start attending Towson university in the fall and am looking for some places nearby to hunt. It seems like gunpowder is the closest public place and wanted to know if anyone has hunted there? I went to check it out today and the issue I ran into is the boat ramps I visited didn't open until either 7am or sunrise. That doesn't help a duck hunter very much, unless they will make exceptions. If you've hunted there before what boat ramp would be best to use. I was looking mainly at the blinds close to day's cove. Also if you've hunted here, how was the hunting??
Thanks
Feelinducky
Newb

Re: Gunpowder falls state park

Postby Ruination » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Hours of Operation:

​Sunrise to Sunset

Certain activities are permitted outside of the regular park hours (e.g. fishing, boat launch, hunting where permitted). Please check with the park before your visit if you plan to engage in an activity which requires you to be in the park before or after the posted hours.
Ruination
hunter

Postby Feelinducky » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks for the info!
Feelinducky
Newb

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:17 pm

I hunt there every year. Mariner Point is open early during hunting season. I've gone for early teal, and the gate is up.
The hunting there is eh. There is a NW wind all the time, which happens to blow all the water out of there. I take my kayak up there, and I run out of water sometimes.
I've shot birds up there, but not a lot.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby zeeman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Call me or text I have space on my boat and I hunt all time :thumbsup:
zeeman
hunter

Postby Feelinducky » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:24 pm

thanks for the help guys. it seems like mariner point would be the easiest place to put in at, so that's great that its open early. I will be sure to keep an eye on the winds and tide when I'm going out. sounds like there's an opportunity to shoot a few birds here and that's a lot better than none. looks like a great place, I'll have to make it out a few times.
Feelinducky
Newb

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Zee is a great guy, and a good shot. I met him at Days Cove and had the pleasure of sitting in his boat. I had a blast and would hunt with him again in a heart beat.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting