EPA after farm land

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

EPA after farm land

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:06 pm

EPA Proposes Taking 600,000 Acres of Eastern Shore Cropland Out of Production which they say is 20% of the farm land.

http://www.lowereasternshorenews.com/2014/07/epa-proposes-taking-600000-acres-of.html

How many farmer get to go belly up and that is 1/5th of the hunt lands.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Re: EPA after farm land

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:40 pm

and turn it into "grassland or forest." does not sound that bad as far as the hunting goes. not a lot of nesting going on in a corn field.

and before the haters get frothy, i do not like the feds telling anyone what to do. i am all about free market. but seems to me like the hunting would get better. (sorry snow goose shooters)

i looked and cant find anything else on this-anyone have any other links or stuff like that?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 am

^^what he said. maybe the quail population will benefit...
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:25 am

j.digiacomo wrote:^^what he said. maybe the quail population will benefit...

it is sad to see the way the fields are picked completely off with no cover at all. hard to hunt bunnies.

another point-with less fields doesn't that mean if you have access it will be even better? and i am guessing some of those fields are near the bay/rivers and are drained currently, and after a few years would go back to their natural state with wet spots.

wait, what about all the DU land that there is in maryland? you will be able to hunt them. :sarcmark:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Montauker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:49 pm

ohioboy wrote: not a lot of nesting going on in a corn field.

You do know that the vast majority of the ducks that we get down here don't nest here.
Montauker
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Montauker wrote:
ohioboy wrote: not a lot of nesting going on in a corn field.

You do know that the vast majority of the ducks that we get down here don't nest here.

yes, but i am seeing it more and more.

and i can promise it is more likely to happen in natural areas, not in a field.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Montauker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:27 am

Winter wheat however is an excellent nesting cover that we already have, so that would also go away.

The only hunting benefit that would possibly come from loosing 600K acres of farmland would be that hopefully the bay grasses would return and with it the ducks. Goose hunting would be negatively affected both for snows and canadas. NY, PA, and NJ would become the new goose meccas.

Lease prices would probably sky rocket for several years, until the geese stopped coming here (see North Carolina as an example).
Montauker
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:15 am

take away the wintering grounds and food sources in MD, and we will be the next North Carolina. They wont want to migrate as far south and will short stop us up in NY, NJ, PA. I dont like it, and speaking of the EPA...theyre here at ANC currently snooping around this week
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Montauker wrote:Winter wheat however is an excellent nesting cover that we already have, so that would also go away.

The only hunting benefit that would possibly come from loosing 600K acres of farmland would be that hopefully the bay grasses would return and with it the ducks. Goose hunting would be negatively affected both for snows and canadas. NY, PA, and NJ would become the new goose meccas.

Lease prices would probably sky rocket for several years, until the geese stopped coming here (see North Carolina as an example).

you dont think they are going to be effected? ripple effect will get them too. and i am still waiting to see a link with something from the EPA cited.

as for leases.... :fingerhead: this guy does not lease. wish i could shoot the birds over my house.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Montauker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:46 pm

OB- I'm not sure who you mean when you say "will get them too".

I agree with you, the article is worthless without citation to a reliable source.

If lease prices go up and forces people to hunt free ducks and there are less free ducks then it will impact you.
Montauker
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Montauker wrote:OB- I'm not sure who you mean when you say "will get them too".

I agree with you, the article is worthless without citation to a reliable source.

If lease prices go up and forces people to hunt free ducks and there are less free ducks then it will impact you.

it will effect them is what i meant.

it could increase the pressure, but who knows. not like i am not going to go. what else do you do at 4am on saturday morning? :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:33 pm

[quote="Montauker"]Winter wheat however is an excellent nesting cover that we already have, so that would also go away.

You do know that most wheat around here is harvested prior to the summer crop of corn or soybean.. right?
Isn't that during nesting period? This isn't nodak where they leave their wheat up for much longer due to the later winter
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby razorrt5 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Got to tell you guys, I grew up in harford county and moved to MInnesota 2 years ago (wife's family in the area) I always poke in and out to see what you guys are talking about and whats going on back home....(still come home for holidays and do deer and goose/duck hunting with family and friends) after living out here and seeing how the game and fish depts out west (MN,ND, SD) operate, the way DNR and gov't in MD operates toward hunters and hunting opportunities is atrocious. none of the crap they pull in Maryland would stand a chance out here.

Also a lot your ducks are siting out back in the sloughs/ lakes around my house lol... I got to tell ya the numbers for ducks this year will be good, SD,ND and MN had really wet springs so we had the perfect conditions for nesting. Some of the reports I have seen show eastern dakotas and western MN was not great conditions but they conducted those surveys about a 2 week before birds starting settling in and the rain came (due to it being a late spring) so looking good for the fall! just in the two sloughs next to my neighborhood we got blue wing teal, mallards, coots, pintails, wood duck, hooded mergansers, buffleheads, geese and seen a few canvasbacks, gadwall and green wings around too. :beer:
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 pm

razorrt5 wrote:Got to tell you guys, I grew up in harford county and moved to MInnesota 2 years ago (wife's family in the area) I always poke in and out to see what you guys are talking about and whats going on back home....(still come home for holidays and do deer and goose/duck hunting with family and friends) after living out here and seeing how the game and fish depts out west (MN,ND, SD) operate, the way DNR and gov't in MD operates toward hunters and hunting opportunities is atrocious. none of the crap they pull in Maryland would stand a chance out here.

Also a lot your ducks are siting out back in the sloughs/ lakes around my house lol... I got to tell ya the numbers for ducks this year will be good, SD,ND and MN had really wet springs so we had the perfect conditions for nesting. Some of the reports I have seen show eastern dakotas and western MN was not great conditions but they conducted those surveys about a 2 week before birds starting settling in and the rain came (due to it being a late spring) so looking good for the fall! just in the two sloughs next to my neighborhood we got blue wing teal, mallards, coots, pintails, wood duck, hooded mergansers, buffleheads, geese and seen a few canvasbacks, gadwall and green wings around too. :beer:

good to hear about the numbers.

you have sloughs in mn? :sarcmark:
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting