Potomac Grass

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Potomac Grass

Postby ohioboy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:49 pm

I have never seen the grass so sparse this late in the year. Any ideas on impacts this fall? River has changed a lot from the floods as well. Maybe that is connected?

I have been watching a brood of mergansers the past few weeks. Pretty fun to watch them hunt fish.

ohio
ohioboy
hunter

Re: Potomac Grass

Postby rxcrider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 pm

I believe it was two years ago when the grass was pretty light on the Potomac. The rain and high water and poor water clarity all help keep the grass down. I am keeping my fingers crossed it stays like this through the balance of the summer. My jet drive will be much happier come September. ;)
rxcrider
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:07 am

High cloudy water all spring and the grass can't get enough light to grow well. I think river hunting will swing more on how much pressure there is, pushes of birds and cold snaps freezing ponds more than the grass.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 am

The bass fishing was really slow earlier this summer on the upper potomac. I had trouble finding decent grass beds where there normally are. I agree with cupped. Ice is the only thing that makes the potomac good in my opinion. Im not saying you cant kill birds out there when its not icy, but it takes a little bit of arm twisting to get me out there dealing with all that comes with public hunting when there are private ponds, swamps and marshes holding more birds. I think most geese and puddlers are only out on the potomac as a loafing spot, not too many are out there to feed on grass beds. That being said, when other sources of loafing areas do freeze up, and you know where the grass beds are on open water on the potomac, those are primetime spots. The amount of ag fields within "feeding distance" to the potomac just offers so much more to the birds that I think they rarely look to river grass as a habitual feeding spot that you could pattern birds on.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:29 pm

I am thinking about hitting the Potomac out of Pennyfield this weekend. Does anyone have update on how the grass is looking?

Thanks!
rxcrider
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:18 pm

rxcrider wrote:I am thinking about hitting the Potomac out of Pennyfield this weekend. Does anyone have update on how the grass is looking?

Thanks!

almost none. what little there is, is submerged.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:21 pm

ohioboy wrote:
rxcrider wrote:I am thinking about hitting the Potomac out of Pennyfield this weekend. Does anyone have update on how the grass is looking?

Thanks!

almost none. what little there is, is submerged.

Thank you sir!
rxcrider
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:07 pm

went out of penny the other day. It is starting to come up. I think it will be up in a month or so.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:went out of penny the other day. It is starting to come up. I think it will be up in a month or so.

Cajun, did you have to drag the boat in the creek at all or did you float the whole way. Thanks.
rxcrider
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:23 am

rxcrider wrote:
Cajun1085 wrote:went out of penny the other day. It is starting to come up. I think it will be up in a month or so.

Cajun, did you have to drag the boat in the creek at all or did you float the whole way. Thanks.

with that boat? better have jumped that log jam at the end like Beau and Luke Duke.

(there is a large pile at the end near the river that you have to even pull over, even a kayak)
ohioboy
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:47 am

ohioboy wrote:
rxcrider wrote:

with that boat? better have jumped that log jam at the end like Beau and Luke Duke.

(there is a large pile at the end near the river that you have to even pull over, even a kayak)

With a jet drive the log jam is not a problem, just hate having to drag over those couple shallow spots. The last time I was out there was a ton of tree branches on the down river side of the creek about half way out that kept you out of the deep water.aybe today will be an Edwarda Ferry trip.
rxcrider
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting