Diver report on the Bay

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Diver report on the Bay

Postby mplhunter » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:10 am

We went out on 12/11/07 North of Sandy Point in the A.M. and shot the heck out of the Blue Bills and bufflehead ducks all of the blue bills were drakes and one hen. All of the bufflehead ducks were hens saw a few drakes but they did not come in to the decoys. Got one merganser it was a hen. All of the ducks that we shot came right in to the decoys had about 6doz decoys out and we had shooting all day. We limited out on blue bills by 9:45am and then fully limited out by 2:45pm lots of blue bills out on the water.

Went back out on 12/13/07 all we saw where blue bills the wind and waves picked up around 10:00am and we got out of dodge. On the way back in all of the birds where just rafting up. We limited out on blue bills that day. Going out this Saturday at Sandy Point.
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:00 pm

Glad to hear your scoring on some divers. I think we will see even more birds after this next weather system comes through.
Good Luck tomorrow.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby flockbuster » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:56 pm

:thumbsup: Good deal thanks for the heads up on the report :thumbsup: sounds like you got into some good shootin. way to go! we were fishing last sunday outta Point look out and at the mouth of the potomac river in corn field harbor and around the river rack there must have been 200 to 300 old squaws. Just a ton! that's the most I've seen yet this year
flockbuster
hunter

Postby Citori84 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:01 pm

That's wild for me to hear coming from the midwest. If I happened to get just one oldsquaw I think that'd make the entire season. Probably wouldn't be allowed to get a mount though....... how are they for eating?
Citori84
hunter

Postby flockbuster » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:18 pm

not that good, I give mine away to an old timer who doesn't hunt anymore, he loves them, but I'm not sure how he prepares them. we've been managing 6 or 7 everytime out. there are tons of old squaws and blue bills on the bay right now.
We hunted the marsh today, cause the stinking weather man was wrong again, but managed a buffy, 2 - gadwalls and my buddy made a good shot on one but I forgot what he shot??? :huh:
flockbuster
hunter

Postby mplhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:00 am

On Saturday we did not go out on the bay the weatherman was all confused on what the weather was going to be so we decided to go out on the ponds. We got some geese and a few ducks but we should have went out on the bay a buddy of mine went out and shot the heck out of them they were limited out by 9:00AM. We are looking at the weather and it is going to rain according to the weatherman on Friday. Hope you all get out on the bay and do some shooting because the last two times we went out we had a ball.
mplhunter
hunter

Postby trimike76 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:58 pm

Just thought I'd say hi and introduce myself....my name's Mike and I live in Annapolis. Just now getting into sea duck hunting. Have 8 dz. decoys that I've long lined and am looking to head out again real soon. Just thought I'd see if you have any places you would recommend....don't have land or a blind site, so I really only have the boat and the sea duck zone! Anyway....any advice would be appreciated and if anyone wants to go sometime, let me know!
trimike76
hunter

Postby flockbuster » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:11 pm

out from parsons island eastern bay crab alley is one spot just inside love point is another. tons of old squaws. you should limit out w no problem.
flockbuster
hunter

diver report on the Bay

Postby rmh » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:06 am

If you're looking for sea ducks (old squaw and scoter), off Herring Bay south to Chesapeake Beach is pretty good. Just make sure to stay at least the minimum off shore, the newer residents are very quick with the phone calls to DNR to complain about shooting off shore. I haven't hunted those ducks for several years but we prepared them by: use only the breast and get every bit of fat off them. Slow cook a bunch in a crock pot with orange slices, celery, etc. Discard that and thin slice the breast. There is a texture difference between squaws and scoters. Friend of mine had a couple squaws mounted for carving, they turned out real nice. In fact he gave me the carving he won a ribbon for at the big show on the Eastern Shore. I had shot the live mount for him. He died shortly after, that's why he gave me the carving. Good luck if you come down this way.
rmh
hunter

Postby trimike76 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:16 am

Thanks for the good information......I'll have to head down that way and check it out. I've pulled the boat from the water this past weekend so now I'll just be trailering it to various spots. I went up inside of Love Point yesterday and there was A LOT of action......the water got really rough shortly after I set the decoys so I pulled up and headed back to Annapolis. Lots of nice birds up there though.....and you're right....they are some really pretty birds to mount if looking to do that!
trimike76
hunter

Postby commited » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:39 am

how far from sandy point....i live on kent island....which is right there...?
"a green head a day, keeps the gamewarden away"

Guns dont kill people, religions do...
commited
hunter

Postby trimike76 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:01 am

I actually grew up on Kent Island....live in Annapolis now. I keep my boat right at the mouth of the Severn (Bay Ridge) but was hunting right inside of Love Point not far from the old spider marker. Of course I think you have to be 500 yds away from the markers, but lots of birds moving there. Want to go sometime?
trimike76
hunter

Postby mplhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:31 pm

Bird report from last Saturday until tonight…. Still shooting them up out in the bay (Buff’s, blue, old, mergansers, Can,) From my spot I like to hunt in the bay I can see sandy point and the birds are there if any one can get out on one of those blind sites. On Saturday it looked like song birds the sky was blue then black then blue then black from about 8:00am to 10:00am off and on. A few came my way but not like I was seeing at sandy point. How is everyone else doing out there we got 8 last Saturday and I will be going out tomorrow in the rain all day…..
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Seeing a good amount of divers but no where near my spots. :mad:

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby mplhunter » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Today cold windy as all, cold and did I tell you all it was windy.. Saw a few ducks but did not take any. This was my first day not shooting my gun and my 3rd day not getting any birds. I will be out all day tomorrow. I have two people for a full day and one for a half a day. As for today I was glad we did not have any one on the boat that has a week stomach the waves about 3-4 foot and the wind was reading 33 and it was cold. I have been out on Ice wormer then this. The ducks came from north of Gibson going into the Magothy then looked like they were setting up over by dobbins. Saw birds down by Sandy Point, but for some reason all of the birds did not move like I thought they wood. When docking the boat tonight I could have just picked them out of the water. Most of the birds I think went into all of the coves to get out of the wind. Birds that I saw = can’s, buff’s, blue’s, gold’s, and old’s. Some shots at buff’s were fired off of the boat but for some reason they just kept on going… LOL

Hop you all have a good hunt tomorrow and I will give you all one last report tomorrow night.
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:13 pm

Going out in the morning.. Putting out some cans and Bills with a few geese in close to the shore. Birds have been holed up in some coves around here for the past week.

Good Luck
Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby mplhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:16 pm

As for Saturday I do not know what the ducks were doing but they just wanted to stay on the out side of the lines. We tried thee spots and then called it a day out on the boat we only took one bird a blue bill. We shot a few bids and when they hit the water they just dove as we were trying to get them we would look back and see birds landing in the decoys. When we got to the pond for the afternoon hut I had my work cut out for me. I had to brake up ice about 1 ½ inches thick. We saw a few birds and got to shoot at one gadwall. Let’s say it did not go far. It was a mature drake according to the book… All and all I had a good year. I hop all of you had a good year too. We still have RP goose and crows to shoot. I am looking forward to turkeys. I am going to a farm to hut RP goose this weekend were I was able to call in enough geese for 3 of us to limit out by 7:00am I hop all goes well this weekend. Hop all of you have a good rest of the season and I will talk to you all soon.
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Saturday was a short hunt. The ice was to thick at the ramp had to drive to another to launch. Still had to break ice to get out to the spot Had a lot of Blue Bills check us out but they just kept going. One flock os Blacks came in and landed out of range :mad: . We did manage 5 Buffies and 2 Goldeneyes. Got a call for a RP goose hunt for Monday but had to take care of a few things and a doctors appointment :sad: There's still fish to be caught betweenthe 15th and turkey season.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting