Who is getting their gear ready?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Who is getting their gear ready?

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Hard to believe it is only a month away.
Skeet123
hunter

Re: Who is getting their gear ready?

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Skeet123 wrote:Hard to believe it is only a month away.

calls on the counter now. my girls are not allowed to carry them around or we all are going to go crazy.

actually pulled all my decoys out couple of weeks ago and reorganized. i am not checking my shell collection though. i like to go out opening morning with 4 shells that i dug out of my truck. i am gangsta like that. :lol3:

geese are starting in fields near me. more every day. wonder if this cold is going to push birds early? keeping the rivers and lakes much cooler than normal that is for sure.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby jpeels » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:01 am

Was just going through my puddle deeks the other day. This season really snuck up on me, I probably won't have time to patch up my diver rig for a couple more weeks. We peppered alot of decoys last year so I'll be spending a good chunk of time with the hot glue gun.

I'm hearing this winter is supposed to be cold and snowy, shaping up to be a great year :thumbsup:
jpeels
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Lookin goosey for me. 3 year crop and weather rotation has my spots all looking like the year wetook geese to the house. I got a couple dekes out and sold them and already knocked on my doors
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:09 am

Sounds good. I just need to paint a boat and get some of my gear organized.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Qback5 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:55 am

Yep Yep!!! Itchy all over. Been going through dekes that were already too organized from clean-up last year. Signatures from land-owners signed (still eyeing one more property but have failed to cross paths with the owner on multiple attempts. Have a few flocks patterned pretty well...just hoping things don't change too much over the next <30 days! (my hope is that no new crop fields are cut between now and then...fingers crossed!). New gun arrives in the mail this week sometime and a round of clays this weekend! (I know it's kinda late for a new gun...had been saving for a SBE for April 2015, but then decided to go with a more moderately and reasonably priced Franchi, and pulled the trigger last week). So, yes, I'm getting ready!!!
Qback5
hunter

Postby Ruination » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:13 am

Between a wedding and building a house I don't have much time (or money) for much of anything else sadly. This will probably be a long hunting season living vicariously through you guys and facebook.
Ruination
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am

Ugh, I hear you ruin. My dumba$$ decided to agree to getting married in September. I figured I would get it out of the way as early as possible before the migration showed up. I should be hitched and back from my week long honeymoon in Jamaica just in time to see all the corn fields getting cut. Although this wedding seriously inhibited my traditional preseason savings account drain on new gear
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Ruination » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:54 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:Ugh, I hear you ruin. My dumba$$ decided to agree to getting married in September. I figured I would get it out of the way as early as possible before the migration showed up. I should be hitched and back from my week long honeymoon in Jamaica just in time to see all the corn fields getting cut. Although this wedding seriously inhibited my traditional preseason savings account drain on new gear

Yea forgot to add honeymoon on the list. I believe i will be figuring out a new type of hunting this season. Public walk on. :hammer:
Ruination
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:20 pm

Started re-flocking a few floaters, Blind is back on the boat. I need to take a little inventory on shells and other gear.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Marshmallow » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:36 am

We bushhogged the trail down to the blind, decoys are cleaned up, I'm headed to pick up shells this week, calls are ready to go, license and duck stamp are in my bag, canoe and kayak area ready for some work out up here in the timber, and my dog is "ready"

Our sunflower has brought in a ton of doves this year, so that's looking fun too.

I have a flock of geese that comes in to our soybean field, but with no kind of pattern, but I've been seeing more and more so hopefully something works out for sept1
Marshmallow
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:48 am

I wouldnt read too much into goose movement this early. They will change patterns 23 times before opening day. Just keep track of where theyre roosting and loafing... Save your gas boys
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:22 am

PSUbuzz wrote:I wouldnt read too much into goose movement this early. They will change patterns 23 times before opening day. Just keep track of where theyre roosting and loafing... Save your gas boys

i was just out scouting. nice day for it.

edit to ask: has anyone seen golden eagles on the potomac before. i am up in montgomery county. i saw a bunch of bald eagles, but then this one huge one sails over, thought it was a juvenile, but it was massive. golden is all i can think of.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Ruination » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Marshmallow wrote:We bushhogged the trail down to the blind, decoys are cleaned up, I'm headed to pick up shells this week, calls are ready to go, license and duck stamp are in my bag, canoe and kayak area ready for some work out up here in the timber, and my dog is "ready"

Our sunflower has brought in a ton of doves this year, so that's looking fun too.

I have a flock of geese that comes in to our soybean field, but with no kind of pattern, but I've been seeing more and more so hopefully something works out for sept1

Soooo What am I missing that you are getting ready so early?
Ruination
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:13 am

ohioboy wrote:has anyone seen golden eagles on the potomac before. i am up in montgomery county. i saw a bunch of bald eagles, but then this one huge one sails over, thought it was a juvenile, but it was massive. golden is all i can think of.

I live up by Taylors Landing and saw what I thought was an Osprey fly over the house with a fish. I am about 2 miles from the river, so i am not sure why it was so far in land unless he' raiding the neighbors Koi pond. I only got a look at it for a second, but it was big and not a bald eagle.

PSUbuzz wrote:I wouldnt read too much into goose movement this early. They will change patterns 23 times before opening day. Just keep track of where theyre roosting and loafing... Save your gas boys

I hear you! I used to take off the first week for September season and don't do that any more. It just became one frustrating week with usual one large kill. The other days were just use sitting around lamenting "Where the hell are they?" :yes:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 am

ohioboy wrote:

edit to ask: has anyone seen golden eagles on the potomac before. i am up in montgomery county. i saw a bunch of bald eagles, but then this one huge one sails over, thought it was a juvenile, but it was massive. golden is all i can think of.

Seen plenty of bald eagles, even have some scars on a decoy or 2 from some attempts by bald eagles(which is awesome to watch) but I dont ever recall seeing a golden. I wouldnt say its out of the question for one to be around. I have seen some really big bald eagles though. Up by me they have frequently gone after rafted up ducks on the potomac and gotten them to jump up and fly up/down river into my decoy spread for me. I cant complain about that!
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:51 am

PSUbuzz wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

Seen plenty of bald eagles, even have some scars on a decoy or 2 from some attempts by bald eagles(which is awesome to watch) but I dont ever recall seeing a golden. I wouldnt say its out of the question for one to be around. I have seen some really big bald eagles though. Up by me they have frequently gone after rafted up ducks on the potomac and gotten them to jump up and fly up/down river into my decoy spread for me. I cant complain about that!

had them chase birds right in front of us for sure, and you are right Buzz, that is cool as hell to see.

this bird was big, dark and no white at all. we had just seen a ton of mature bald eagles, so this really stuck out. anyone with a birder in their phone, hit them up and see what they know if you would.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Marshmallow » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Ruination wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:We bushhogged the trail down to the blind, decoys are cleaned up, I'm headed to pick up shells this week, calls are ready to go, license and duck stamp are in my bag, canoe and kayak area ready for some work out up here in the timber, and my dog is "ready"

If we don't plan and prep early. It'll be the night before opening day and we'll be scrambling. But doves and res geese are just 3 days away, and teal is right after that.
Marshmallow
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:18 am

Marshmallow wrote:
Ruination wrote:

If we don't plan and prep early. It'll be the night before opening day and we'll be scrambling. But doves and res geese are just 3 days away, and teal is right after that.

You mean 3 weeks... Dont go getting premature on us now
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Marshmallow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 am

PSUbuzz wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:
Ruination wrote:

Lol, yep. Either way, we're ready to go. Only problem is, opening day in October is my best friends wedding. And I'm the best man.
Marshmallow
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:28 am

Marshmallow wrote:
PSUbuzz wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:
Ruination wrote:

Lol, yep. Either way, we're ready to go. Only problem is, opening day in October is my best friends wedding. And I'm the best man.

you WERE the best man. :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Boat is ready, a case of shells should up last week, decoys are in order, license and stamps are in hand, now I just need to start bribing the wife :thumbsup:
rxcrider
hunter

Postby Ruination » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:09 pm

You guys are making me so sad that I am not even bothering with the early season.
Ruination
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:01 am

Boat is ready - have to finish blind. Can't wait for Sept 1. I have a feeling the river is going to stay real low for the opener!
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:45 am

Jfk1700 wrote:Boat is ready - have to finish blind. Can't wait for Sept 1. I have a feeling the river is going to stay real low for the opener!

the floods in the potomac changed it a lot this spring. some of the spots that had 2 feet of water last year are bone dry and vice versa. check it out before you blow up your transom.
ohioboy
hunter

Next

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting