Newby

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Newby

Postby slicendice » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:02 am

I'm brand new to waterfowling and brand new to this site. I'm originally from the Boonsboro area, but moved to Waynesboro, PA a few years ago (the houses were cheaper north of the M/D line.) I still do 90% of my hunting in MD. I've hunted deer, turkey and small game all of my life but last week on a whim, my buddy (MD resident) and I went out to the Mono and tried our hand at ducks and geese. We're greener than green, but we're learning as we go. We plan to do most of our hunting on Mono and the Potomac and will probably give McKees-Beshers a go before the season is out. I was very happy to find this site and I've already learned alot by reading the threads. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:58 pm

I live in Boonsboro, or at least that is what my mailing address says.

All I got to say is best of luck on the geese. This year some one has been educating them pretty handily. I did not even hunt much in the early part of the year and I get out now and they are scared of decoys.

Also when floating the Mono you have to case the gun in that Federal park or they will ticket you.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for the response! I know exactly what you're talking about with the Boonsboro address. I grew up 20 minutes south of Boonsboro, went to Boonsboro High, lived in Washington County but had a Frederick County address. Who am I to question the US Postal Service?? As far as the watefowling goes, we're just gonna go as much as possible, learn as much as possible and hopefully be at least somewhat up to speed when next year rolls around.

P.S. I didn't educate the geese on the dekes. I don't even own a goose deke yet!! :yes: (joking)

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:19 am

Educating is more about shooting 2 out of a flock of 30. Then you have 28 smarter geese.

Geese aren't smart but the learn real fast and some one has taught them a lot this year!

Keep in touch we maybe able to hunt together sometime. I am off of Sharpsburg pike if you ever want to come by and drink some beer and talk folwin'. :thumbsup:

Rob

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:23 am

Good deal. I'm always up for beer and talking about hunting!

My buddy and I have some duck dekes rigged up and ready to roll and we're gonna go back out on Saturday and give it another go. I'll give updates on here on how we do and what we learn as we go out. I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed :huh: , but I figure the more I do it, the quicker I'll learn. :hammer:

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:49 pm

Hey guys. I am Slice's afformentioned buddy. Thanks for the info, this looks like a great site. Hopefully we will be able to get out and apply all this new knowledge and have some success.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:02 pm

hey guys, me and a buddy from middletown right over the mountain are coming home from college this weekend and we intend on doing some waterfowling over the next 2 weeks break. Give me a jingle if you want to join, i have 2 dozen decoys, my buddy has a bunch and a canoe plus a mojo. We are fairly seasoned but he hunts the bay and i hunt lakes and ponds up here in PA. I think my friend has a few spots already lined up as he has been home scouting for the past 4 days. Ill check back on here before i head home on Sunday
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:38 pm

:welcome: to the site. I'm sure you will get some good info. You will probally have a few more hunting buddies this year. If you hunt with Rob make sure you carry a rope you might have to pull him out :biggrin: . Sorry Rob I just had too.

Good Luck Let us know how it works out.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:32 am

Thanks for the replys, guys! I have to admit, I'm blown away by the hospitality you guys have shown toward us! I can definately tell this is a friendly site with a bunch of good guys. I only hope Lefty and I can return the favor one day! I do have one question. How heavy an anchor do you use on your decoys on the rivers (Potomac, Mono)?

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:18 pm

It all depends on the weather and how fast the water is running wherever you are hunting. Youll want big open pools with not too fast running water on the monocacy, and on the potomac youll want to hunt the back ends of islands or coves off the bank. The normal 6 ozers that you can buy at the local hunting store usually do, if you use the bendable ones, try to bend them into an anchor that will catch onto something if it starts to float away
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:03 pm

I got 4 oz on ducks and 8oz on geese.

Now, hopefully the high waters washed a lot of the dead grass down stream. When it comes down and wraps on the decoys they start drifting away. You can ask labs, as I went swimming trying to catch one of mine last wednesday.

Oh, a funkstown boy. I bet your scouting the geese in the creek by the American legion. :yes:

I don't like competition, so I guess we'll have to hunt together from time to time. The way I see it is the larger your group of friends, the more people scouting and the more places you'll have to hunt.

We tried to hunt this morning but all the ramps had ice on them from the water dropping and we backed off. I am going to start carrying rock salt to solve that for next time. I got to get the kids on the bus tomorrow so the late start might mean some knockin' is in order.

Bets of luck to you all on Saturday. I am assuming you all now the laws on where and how to cross the canal with a gun?

I am also the County rep for Maryland Waterfowl Association.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Lefty26 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:17 pm

I could open my upstairs window and shoot geese and ducks all day long flying back and forth to the legion. I have taken my wife and daughter fishing down there before and those suckers will sneak up and eat your corn or bread or whatever your using for bait.

We printed out the C&O Canal compendium that has all of the approved access points so we should be good when we hit the Potomac.

I rigged anchor cord to all of our new dekes last night, next step is to attach the weights tonight and I think we will be ready to roll on our official first "real" duck hunt. I can't wait, whether we are successful or not I have a feeling we are going to learn a bunch on this trip.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Lefty, I will give you a call later tonight about tomorrow morning...

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby slicendice » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:02 pm

Just don't seem right you boys hunting tomorrow morning while I'm stuck at work!!! :no: I'll just have to make up for it Saturday and Monday (and if I'm real lucky, Tuesday evening) :thumbsup:

Best of luck, guys!

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:25 am

Labs (shawn) knows his stuff. He'll be able to teach you pretty good. Just watch the movement when they fly around you. New duck hunters always get that "Swivel head" trying to watch the birds circle and then they bust you and fly away.

Best of luck guys. I still got a cold and I got tickets to Cowboy Christmas tonight. I was informed by the Mrs. if I got sicker from hunting and was coughing all through the show there would be hell to pay.

So I have not been out since I went swimming wiht Labs. :oops: Shwan, did you find you Bino's? I could not find them in the boat or any where yet.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:22 am

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help you've given us. It's unbelievable, really. I just hope one day I can return the favor.

A little whiskey will cure that cold, Rob!!

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:14 am

Rob,

Found the binos....can't figure out how they got back in my coat...don't remember you handing them back to me.

Jon...if you haven't heard yet, Jordan and I hammered a couple of nice blacks this morning....big ones too. I will post some pictures later today. I think that he is going to take you to the same spot we hunted this morning....if the weatherman is right, it should be a good hunt for you. I have to work this weekend, but I will be able to get out next week with you guys in the morning. Can't wait!

Labs (shawn)
Labs
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks again Shawn for letting me tag along. I had a blast and definitly learned a lot. I appreciate you allowing me to pick your brain for some duck knowledge. Look forward to hitting to water with you again, hopefully next time we can old Slice out there with us.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby slicendice » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:51 am

Awesome deal, fellas!! Shawn, we can't thank you enough! Maybe in the spring I can return the favor by showing you some of my favorite places to turkey hunt. As fas as tomorrow, I can't wait. Hopefully we should be able to get into something. As far as next week, I think we're planning to go out Monday. If you can make it, let us know.

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:10 pm

I will definately be there....I will see what time I actually have to be into work in the morning...if it is later than 8, I might join you guys for an hour or so in the AM...I will call you later and let you know. Anytime you guys want to pick my brain, you go right ahead....that way I know all this knowledge isn't going to waste....ps, I am a big fan of beer and Makers Mark bourbon.... :biggrin:

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby slicendice » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:31 pm

You got it! Give me a call Sunday night if you wanna go Monday. Lefty and I are hell for deciding what/where we're doing/going until the last minute. And that's a big 10-4 on the beer and burbon.

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:15 pm

Looks like I am out for the AM...have to be at work at 630.....I will be up for hunting Monday morning, though....I found a canoe for sale...I may have some water transportation by the time the weekend is out...cross your fingers!

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:16 pm

Jon,

You or Jordan should take a stout rope with you tomorrow, especially if you hunt in the area that we were in today. It will help to get back up the bank....also, I heard alot of geese flying around after Jordan left....you will want to go in quiet tomorrow morning for sure....

Shawn
Labs
hunter

Potomac Near Jefferson

Postby grnheadrocker » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:03 pm

Has anyone ever hunted the Potomac near Jefferson? I was thinking about trying a spot down there that I fish at during the summer. Let me know what any of you think? What part of the Potomac did you guys hunt recently?
grnheadrocker
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:43 pm

we got 5 mallards and a buffie drake this morning up here in PA this morning, cant wait to get back down to MD and hit it hard on monday. I think im headed out again tomorrow morning to try and get a few more for our sunday duck feast. I didnt see as many geese as i usually do flying today so they must be getting down around MD this weekend. Good luck tomorrow guys
PSUbuzz
hunter

Next

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting