Newby

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Postby slicendice » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:11 pm

Grnhd, make sure you're alright crossing the Canal, but I'd think Jefferson would be alright as long as you can legally cross the Canal in that area. I believe my friend and I will be a little farther up the river in the evening tomorrow.

Labs,
Thanks for the tip about the stout rope. The last thing I need right now is to wrench my back again less than a month after my surgery! I believe we're going into that spot we were in last week a little farther down the river because there was a guy hunting from a boat less than 100 yards from where you were this morning. We don't want to get pushed out in the dark and have to find another spot in the dark. We may hit your spot on Monday. But definately I'll give you a call sometime and get stuff ironed out for Monday.

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:32 am

I would love to get out. I think the boat and dog are crying.

I just got a call last night. One of our friends is giveing away a palimino and my daughter wants it. I bet it ends up being my/my wifes horse and we become trail buddies. That's partially why I am not heading out today.

But Monday, :hammer: I don't have any partners either.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:41 am

You guys have been pretty good so far. But I need to add if you like where your hunting do not say where it is on here. These are public spots and you will have hunters all over them if you mention where it is.

You would be amazed if you knew how many internet scouters there are. I have persoanlly seen a small army show up at a spot Saturday Morning only to find out later some one mentioned doing well at that spot on the last Saturday on a message board.

You can help people hunt but don't give up your/our spots. Let them scout their own. :thumbsup:

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby grnheadrocker » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:45 am

Where is there a list of where I can cross the canal with a firearm? PSUBuzz and I are going to go out all day Monday. Hope you guys did well this morning.
grnheadrocker
hunter

Postby Labs » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:54 pm

So, I called up Lefty26 about hunting on Friday morning and got to talking with him about where to meet and so forth. Turns out, he and I drive the same pick up truck, a Nissan Frontier. Anyway, I get almost to the spot that we are going to hunt, and there is a big tree that had fallen over during the night. So, I 4x4 it into the ditch and make it around. I waited for Lefty there and he did the same thing. Got to the spot we were going to hunt, and set up the deeks. We got to talking and the next thing you know, I hear birds in the air. Did some light calling and the birds swung around for another look....they made three passes and the last pass was right at shooting time, but I figured they were just out of gun range. Then they were gone...couldn't figure out what the deal was because I know they didn't bust us...next thing you know, I look up and they are swimming through the decoys...two big blacks...Lefty asked me if we should flush them then shoot, or just swat them on the water....since this was going to be his first duck ever, I told him that he could take it any way he wanted too...I don't know if the ducks heard us or what, but they started swimming out into the channel of the river away from us, so I told Lefty to take the one on the left...(pure coincidence :lol: ) Anyway, after the smoke cleared, I sent my 10 month old lab after the first bird....she made a great retrieve while battling some good current. The other duck, however, was floating downstream quickly. Not having all her training done for handling, we had to beat feet to catch up with that bird. About 400 yds later, the water slowed enough so that I could get Tikka on the bird....she made another good retieve on a big bird. Below are the pics and a couple of video's of the last retrieve....sorry about the darkness of the videos...this was shortly after legal shooting time...

Labs

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:16 am

Where you can cross

http://www.nps.gov/archive/choh/Recreation/Hunting.html

Nice job Guys! Did you have black duck decoys out?

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Labs » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:13 am

no...we had four goose decoys, 1/2 doz pintail, and a doz mallard....I think that I am going to get a few black duck decoys though, because there are plenty of them around.... :thumbsup:
Labs
hunter

Postby slicendice » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:42 am

Lefty and I went back to where we were last week and had a couple guys come in on us. We flashed them and I thought they left, but it turns out they set up just upstream from us on the bank. Before shooting light, a couple ducks landed on the water just upstream from us. At shooting light, we called a little to them and thought they responded to us (turns out it was the other hunters calling back at us). I stopped calling, but the hunters kept calling (at this point, we still didn't realize they were hunters or that there was anyone else around). They didn't have dekes and I think the ducks figured out something was up, so they took off past us. We shot and wiffed. We had a couple other ducks make passes on out spread, but when they would circle, they'd pass those guys and they would call and the ducks would take off. We left there around 11 and headed to the another river, but she's too high and swift at the moment to attempt to cross so we turned the afternoon into scouting trip. We found a couple promising looking spots that we'll try when the river drops some. All in all, we are learning and I think we know more than we did last week, so I'm happy. We're not gonna turn into seasoned pros over night, we just have to put our time in and learn our lessons.
We're supposed to head out with labs in the morning but they are calling for high winds. How does wind effect duck hunting?

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Labs » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:07 pm

Makes em want to land...LOL...I will see you guys in the morning....
Labs
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:33 pm

They setup on the bank? The maryland Bank? The Maryland bank is off limits all around due to being federal property.

I have seen guys just walk down the bank in WVA and start calling and wanting to shoot and doing the same thing with no decoys. I am pretty sure they did not have permissions. They did not sound like ducks either.

We had a couple of local boys hunting the farm behind my house. They thought they could shoot across on some one elses farm. Some one reported them to the warden and he watched them. The word going around on of the fines got up around $1300. Tresspassing, hunting without a license, not written permission and all. That's gotta hurt. That was one expensive buck!

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Labs » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Got out this morning with Lefty and slicendice....We saw three early, then another two, but none wanted to come into the decoys. We had a flock of 5 birds come in later, but they landed downstream of our set up. Lefty and slicendice were went to put a sneak on them, when they swam upstream through a riffle and hung out directly across from our set up. I slowly started to walk toward them so that they would swim back downstream to where the guys were. Anyway, they birds somehow got spooked after they got downstream and flew back toward me. I ended up killing one drake...a common merganser. Below is a video of my 10 month old lab making the retrieve and a pic of the bird. Not too bad of a morning seeing that it was sunny and warm.

This pup is well on her way to greatness....

Labs
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:09 pm

grnheadrocker and myself went out this morning and saw a bunch. i killed 1 drake mallard, when i went to grab it before the current took it, another dozen were locked in but i couldnt see it so i ended up spooking them. saw lots of geese and mallards on small ponds around, only got 1 bird today. I think were headed back out again on wednesday. Merry xmas to all
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby slicendice » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:17 am

Rob, Those guys on the bank Saturday morning weren't on the Potomac.

As shown above, we had a good morning with Labs yesterday. He definately knows his stuff. I'm pretty sure he's forgotten more than Lefty and I know combined!! Thanks again, Labs.

In the afternoon, Lefty and I headed to the Potomac and paddled out to an island. We saw 0 birds. No geese, no ducks. Still, it was a learning experience.

Merry Christmas, fellas!
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby grnheadrocker » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:25 am

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that the Potomac in most places is more of a morning spot. If you want to kill ducks down there in the afternoon, you have to know how to do...aka jump shooting...especially on blue bird days like yesterday. PSUBuzz and I saw one duck in the afternoon that even looked at our spread, the only other ducks we saw were flying a mile a high and were a huge group. PSUBuzz and I are going out in the morning... Good luck to everyone and have a Merry Christmas.
grnheadrocker
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:49 am

I actually got up this morning and went out to our spot. Saw twice as many ducks as yesterday flying, had a group of 5 mallards come in on me, i took 2 drakes but they landed in some fast moving current about 20 ft from my spread and i tried my best to run them down but they floated out. I wish my brothers lab here wasnt gun shy because he loves to retrieve but 4th of july he is quivering in the basement. a group of blacks came in and landed right where i shot the mallards so i didnt pull the trigger even though i couldve finished my limit. They would be a wasted kill. Im going to try to set the dekes up tomorrow better so they land in the slower moving water so we at least have a chance at grabbing them
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby trimike76 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:58 pm

Sounds like you guys are doing well on the Potomac.....the sea ducks are thick on the Bay. I went out on the 24th and had a great time.....heading back out tomorrow to give it another go 'round if the weather still looks good. I've talked with a couple of you guys before about doing some sea duck huntin'......should be good to go now that the holiday's are wrapping up. Have a good one...

~Mike
trimike76
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:09 am

Slice, which bank MD or WVA? If they come down the MD bank their risking a $300 or more fine just for carrying cased firearm inthe wrong spot. I don't even want to imagine what the federal fines are for hunting on the MD bank are.

If they are on the WVA shore they either have permission or are just a few rebels you'll be able to do nothing about. That's public hunting. :smile:

Shawn, did ya eat that megie? :wink:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:00 am

Rob, The guys on the bank on saturday morning weren't on the Potomac. We were on another river. We scouted the Potomac on Saturday morning and hunted the Potomac on Monday afternoon, but we were on another river Saturday morning. Sorry about the confusion.

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:17 pm

Naw...haven't ate the mergie yet...prolly throw it in with some chili or something, though....I am a little scared to try it after reading the recipe forum.... :rofl:

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:39 pm

Here is a pic of the goose that we got this morning....shoulda had two, but oh well we'll take it! :thumbsup:

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Labs-
Were you guys using any goose floaters or did they come to the call? What part of the river are you guys usually on as well?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Had four goose floaters out and called.....they were flying down the river...did not decoy...pass shooting at about 40 yds....I will pm you about general location....don't want to give up my spots yet.... :yes:

What is neat about this spot, is that you don't know what you are going to get. We have yet to kill the same species on a different day....two black ducks, a merganser, and a goose. Things are slow now with all the open water, but I think that once it cools off again, the river is going to get better.

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:19 pm

Gotcha...I'm not looking to take anyones spot...haha. We've been having some good luck near heaters island. The morning flight seems like it has the only birds that want to decoy though....We'll be out in the morning, goodluck.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:25 pm

That is what we have been experiencing, as well. The night birds don't come in until after shooting time, so we have been concentrating on the morning birds....we will be out again in the morning, as well....good luck to you and post up how you did.

PS, I wasn't really worried about you...I don't like to post TOO much information, otherwise you will have forum trollers sitting in your spot in the AM....I would edit your post and take out the location.....

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:50 pm

haha I know, believe me, the location i gave is VERY vague/truthful.

Goodluck!
PSUbuzz
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting