If you want a hunting spot, here ya go!

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

If you want a hunting spot, here ya go!

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:27 am

http://frederick.craigslist.org/spo/4601740161.html

I talked to him on the phone, he said he would lease it to you pretty cheap! He even said there was a blind on the bottom of the first island and there was loads of waterfowl flight pattern flying right through there.

I hope the locals get a kick out of this, me being one of them. I had to call just to see how ridiculous this guy was :lol3:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: If you want a hunting spot, here ya go!

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:29 pm

I would not lease anything around here with resident birds. First good shoot and the next month birds will steer around that place.

So why didn't you lease it? :biggrin:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:41 pm

You made my day. Was it being leased for squirrels or ducks? I think I remember seeing ducks there once...
Skeet123
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Theyre trying to lease it for waterfowl. They even told me there was a blind on the end of the first island. Anyone who has ever hunted within 5 miles of that stretch of river knows the condition of that blind for the last 5 years. I can see opening morning, and the new leasee strolling in 20 minutes before shooting time because he has himself a private island out there and didnt have to get up early. I might even sacrifice a good hunt to be there just to see his face at sunrise. Man this is a fantastic trolling by the people that own those islands, and I bet theyll find a buyer too
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Leasing it for waterfowl....that's a huge stretch. I have imagine the turnover for leasing is every year.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:49 pm

The guys number is 240-446-8390 if any cyber scouters are interested, I believe his name is Mike Beard :beer:
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Isn't that right next to Heaters Island which is public hunting land? Why pay when you could hunt the public land? Maybe I am missing something?
rxcrider
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:03 am

its about the equivalent of leasing a little island in the middle of one of the big ponds at Mckees. Yea, you have your own little chunk of land, but everyone on the 200 acres of public land 30 yards from you are going to pepper you and every duck that might even look at your decoys all season long. BUT YOU CAN BUILD A PERMANENT BLIND TO SHELTER YOU FROM THE STEEL RAIN ON YOUR NEW LEASE!
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:38 am

PSUbuzz wrote:its about the equivalent of leasing a little island in the middle of one of the big ponds at Mckees. Yea, you have your own little chunk of land, but everyone on the 200 acres of public land 30 yards from you are going to pepper you and every duck that might even look at your decoys all season long. BUT YOU CAN BUILD A PERMANENT BLIND TO SHELTER YOU FROM THE STEEL RAIN ON YOUR NEW LEASE!

are new blinds allowed?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:44 am

Not on public island you cant put up a blind. But if you were to purchase, lease, or have permission from the owner of one of the very few privately owned islands on the potomac, I think you could. Im currently doing a little research on what islands are private on the Potomac on this nice rainy day. Its interesting the amount of islands below the 15 bridge and headed down to MoCo that are private. Just about any island larger than 1/2 acre is private, with the exception of Heaters Island which is a WMA. Mason and Harrison Island down by Mckees are private and have registered blind stakes meaning you cant hunt within 150 yds of their X on DNR's map, but I think if you can find a place thats far enough away from their stake you would be ok to anchor up and hunt.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby billydee » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 am

that blind was built 2 years ago and probably hunted twice in that time. we have set up just down stream of it on a gravel bar and the club i was in had permission to hunt it i know it does hold some deer as a bedding area but i would just hunt heaters for waterfowl.
hunter wannabe
billydee
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting