Monocacy river??

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Monocacy river??

Postby Max-4GMC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Since I am still new to hunting in md I am Trying to find out if I can float the monocacy river to duck hunt??? Also wondering if I can put in a John boat on the Potomac at point of rocks and float and / set up on the islands that are in the middle ??? And get out where the monocacy river joins the Potomac????

Thanks for any info
Mike
Max-4GMC
hunter

Re: Monocacy river??

Postby Ruination » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm not sure if it would be illegal, but it could piss more than a few people off if you float by their rigs.
Ruination
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:18 am

Max-4GMC wrote:Since I am still new to hunting in md I am Trying to find out if I can float the monocacy river to duck hunt???

Yes, but there are special previsions where you better unload and case your gun when floating through the battle field. Anchor, or touch the shore line anywhere and you are trespassing. I think the WMA stuff on line or the hand book covers the areas.

Max-4GMC wrote:Also wondering if I can put in a John boat on the Potomac at point of rocks and float and / set up on the islands that are in the middle ???

Large islands are privately owned and you would be trespassing without permission. Some small Islands are considered no different than the river bottom, just like rocks. You have to do your homework in your area to figure it out. I do not know of a place to look it all up.

Max-4GMC wrote:And get out where the monocacy river joins the Potomac????

What do you mean, by get out? Leave, or to hunt? When done hunting you can leave anywhere. Get out inside the mouth of the Monocacy or on the C&O canal to hunt and you will be trespassing and Federal Wardens enforce the area.

Yes, as stated, you will not float up on birds in the river, just anger a few fellow hunters.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:16 am

Monocacy you can float hunt certain sections. But the sections you can not hunt, such as past the battlefield or in city limits, you have to unload and case your gun to be legal. You may also not anchor up or set decoys at any time on the monocacy. So basically all you can do is float hunt and hope you are as sneaky as you think you are. That being said, there are certain guys I know that have permission from a landowner or 2 that hunt from the banks of the mono with decoys, which is legal assuming you get written permission from the landowner. If you think you are sneaking up on ducks, and they arent moving... be forewarned, my hunting friends tend to shoot back.

As far as putting in at point of rocks, you are certainly allowed to do that. There is a nice large WMA island that isnt too shabby for waterfowl called Heaters Island just below POR. I have heard rumors of deer even being on the island. In fact, if you really wanted to hunt an island in that area and have it all to yourself, I recently posted a link to a craigslist ad, that someone was leasing out their island that they owned for waterfowl hunting. I posted the link under the topic "if you want a hunting spot, here you go"

Many of the large islands above and below point of rocks are private though, and you need landowner permission to hunt them. Not all of them are posted, but in MD, you dont have to post private property to keep people off of it. That responsibility falls on the hunter to know whether or not you are allowed on a piece of land

As far as the banks of the Potomac river, dont you dare try to hunt or even carry an uncased loaded firearm on the banks of the potomac or even pull your boat out onto a ramp without unloading and casing it first. Federalies will come arrest you, lock you up and confiscate your firearm and hunting privileges for a long time. I believe it was either archeryrob or cupped that had a little run in with the Feds when a jogger said that he was hunting from the banks. A couple feds showed up with ARs and ordered him on the ground. Big scene...

Just trying to keep everyone from being locked up or getting their gun taken. Beyond that, its up to you fellas to research what is private and what is public and where the birds are. :thumbsup:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

PSUbuzz wrote: I believe it was either archeryrob or cupped that had a little run in with the Feds when a jogger said that he was hunting from the banks. A couple feds showed up with ARs and ordered him on the ground. Big scene... :

Yes, that was me, Jon or Jordan must have told you the story :smile: I and Cupped on here and Archeryrob on other forums, so I am both of them.

For evryone else:
I was hunting the river one warm January morning, 60 degrees at 5AM and fog 10' high on the river. I was afraid to navigate too far so we setup, name of the area withheld. It seemed everyone decided to hike the canal this fine January morning. I called the shots, but we never shot when I heard people on the canal, but a couple was walking the canal that I could not hear, as they must not have been talking. So, they hear gun shoots and call 911 and tell them someone is shooting at them. :mad:

We head back to the ramp and I pull up and get out and look up and see a Federal warden walking down the boat ramp with an AR15 in a non-threating position and his trigger finger running parallel to the gun, for safety. I put my arms up and yell to my partner "hands up", he says "What?" I yell back "Federal Warden with an AR15, put your hands up!" and he threw them up. The warden check us, found we were not armed and relaxed with the gun. Apparently a federal Warden had just been killed a few weeks earlier by deer poachers in Tennessee or some where i was told, so they where a bit edgy. :yes:

Before long there is three federal Wardens, two MD DNR Rangers and two local Police cars on the ramp. It was getting tight on there. Everyone backed off except for the MD Warden. He told me the people said they where shot at and they have the shot to prove it. I immediately said "I'm calling BS on that one. I'll cut one of my steel shells open right here and throw the shot up by hand and I bet you can't find 10 shot pellet on this ramp. Plus we were not shooting in their direction!" Then even he eased up.

Now after all that, you would think someone would have walked away with a ticket, or a warning for something, right? Nope, got off free and clear, even laughing with the officers before they all left. :yes:

I try and avoid all heavily hiked area now as that was a day to remember and a day I do not want to repeat! :tongue:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rxcrider » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Ahh nothing like the morning joggers and hikers enjoying the C&O Canal. Last season I missed shooting my limit of geese one morning as the hikers were siting on the bank watching us call in geese, but i was to worried they would think we were shooting towards them and did not pull the trigger on a group of honkers. Lastly watch out for those morning joggers who,like to sneak next to the water and empty out their morning coffee. Lol!

Finally, The Feds love to show up with their guns drawn. I had a run in with those guys about 15 years ago where we were hunting river bottom and they said it was Fedral land. Needless to say we won in court, but it was a pain in the rear end.
rxcrider
hunter

Postby Max-4GMC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

Yea I have hunted lake gaston in va for 20+ years . I will still hunt there but like to do a little waterfowl up here so I don't have to drive 3-1/2 hrs back to the family farm which butts up to lake gaston... I have 5 stationary blinds out there still now.. But I didn't know about the drawings guess I will have to get on that next year. ( don't have that crap in va).
Max-4GMC
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:02 am

joggers will call on anyone if they are idiots. been there. never had a bad run in after it was explained. :beer:

now about those blinds in va.....i might be willing to buy a license if i was invited. :smile:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Max-4GMC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:34 am

Man on the lake duck hunting has gone down hill in the last 5 years... I have not even been out there in 2 years .. Letting other ppl hunt them.. The only real big thing to shoot out there is ring necks now... I have 2 blinds that are good for geese and reds and cans but that is for late season. I mainly hut our family farm ponds and a swamp.. Will see if we can work something out..
Max-4GMC
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting