Relatively New to Forum and MD Hunting

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Relatively New to Forum and MD Hunting

Postby duk_hunter » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm relatively new to the forum (i posted this on the VA side and received some help for Fort Belvoir) and relatively new to ducks, especially up here, as well. I recently picked up a 15' River Hawk in Georgia with an 8HP 4 stroke Honda; however, the engine needs 1 or possibly 2 coils replaced, and I was hoping for some recommendations for a repair shop in the Northern, VA/MD (Ashburn, just south of Leesburg) area. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the engine fixed prior to bringing it up here; however, I do have a trolling motor for it and plan to take it out to a couple of WMA’s in Maryland (had it out twice, but no birds to show for it). Love the forum and thanks in advance.
duk_hunter
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:12 pm

I wish I could help you out on the engine repair. I don't know of any in your area. You could do an Internet search. Keep scouting you bound to find some birds.

Good Luck Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:44 am

You better read the laws in Maryland. Boat hunting in MD ussually requires a maryland resident in the boat. So your going to need to find some Maryland Hunting buddies.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mdbasser » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:50 am

Resident only applies if he is hunting off shore, not one of the WMA's AKA shore blinds.
mdbasser
hunter

re: Relatively New to Forum and MD Hunting

Postby duk_hunter » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:49 pm

thanks for the replies. i'm aware of the restrictions on open water (Potomac) and have talked a co-worker who is a MD resident into hunting with me - he has a grand total of two hunts under his belt.

when out at the WMA we saw about 300 mallards; however, we were in the wrong blind, and didn't really have a shot at any. i'll be back there friday morning (diifernt blind), and will be heading over to the eastern shore for deer/duck firday afternoon and saturday.

we tried calling, but so far i'm using a "Cabelas Shell Saver Call". it works great, but the birds don't seem to like it. :wink:
duk_hunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Well, the law does not say he has to be smart or experienced. Just licensed, alive and there. :yes:

Sounds like you sould do fine. Just remember pictures are required when you do well. If you don't call very well don't use the call at all or only if they are heading away. Some times I have seen pressured ducks land better with no calling at all. The locals don't call to circling or landing ducks either. So I learn by watching them.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duk_hunter » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 pm

thanks Cupped, that's pretty much what i'm doing right now, ittle calling in the blind - mostly quacks - and lots of practice the rest of the time. i'm heading to the WMA tomorrow morning, and off to the Eastern Shore in the afternoon and saturday for (hopefully) deer and ducks. then i'll do the same thing next weekend, to include Sunday at Pintail Point for released birds, and guided hunts on the shore monday and tuesday with my dad who's coming up from Georgia. Hopefully the birds will still be around and i can post some photos.
duk_hunter
hunter

Postby duk_hunter » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:11 am

sorry for the long delay with an update. went out to the WMA, called in two duck (a first), and of course my buddy and i proceeded to miss both.

hit the eastern shore this past Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. 2 Geese and a duck on Saturday (called one goose in - another first). Then limited out on geese Monday and Tuesday plus 4 and 6 ducks respectively with my dad and a buddy who came up from GA. Should have had more ducks, but we all missed some easy shots. On Tuesday morning we were covered up with ducks (15-20 landing in the dekes) 10 minutes before shooting light. however, we did the right thing and waited, and still picked up plenty of birds later in the morning.

still working on the photos.
duk_hunter
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:36 am

Better late than never. Glad to hear you had some good hunts. :thumbsup: Let me know if you need help posting photos would be great to see some pics.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting