Invited to Marlyand, need to make a decision quick.

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Invited to Marlyand, need to make a decision quick.

Postby ninethreeeleven » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:57 pm

My cousin invited me to Maryland (Eastern Shore) for a 3 day hunt next week. I live in NY and would have to fly.

Seeing that it's next week I have to purchase plane tickets ASAP, luckily Southwest flies from here to Baltimore every hour or so.

My question is this: Are the ducks flying?

If the situation was reversed I'd tell him to stay in MD, they are long gone from here (if it cost him $300+ like it's going to cost me). If it was free then come on up and we can squeak out a few.

I can afford it, but I don't feel like spending that kind of money and seeing 4 ducks fly by 5 hunters with my cousins itchy trigger finger.

NOTE: I've always wanted to go, just never had the chance, plans always fell through. I've done well for myself up here this year (best year ever) and can stand to not get more ducks.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:34 pm

Come down...if you are hunting the eastern shore, you should be able to get into the divers, sea ducks, and geese. Is driving out of the question? It would only be like an 8 hour drive, or so? Just wondering....it would save you some $$$

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:01 pm

I might talk to my cousin about that. My uncle (his father) is flying down. But I could leave later and drive through the night (doesn't' bother me) and drive home on Sunday.

Did it before for his wedding, that way I could also bring a bunch of my equipment (decoys, gun, shells, more decoys, clothing) and not have to worry about the wonderful people at the TSA.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:11 pm

LOL...I get to deal with them tomorrow, as I am flying to TX for a hog hunt...can't wait to show up with my rifle....it would be worth the drive....lots of divers out on the bay right now....we have been getting into buffleheads and goldeneyes on the rivers, so they should be out on the bay....

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Save the coin and take the ride. There will be less chance of leaving something at home. You should have a good hunt. Post some pics when you get back.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:13 pm

I would come down if I were you. I live 2 hours away and don't get to hunt private land on the shore.

Depending on what you are driving it may be cheaper to fly, but I agree flying is a hassle especially with a firearm.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby rmh » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Drive. Lots of geese on the Western Shore so I imagine there's even more on the other side. Same with divers and sea ducks.
rmh
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It's a bit over 5 hours for me to drive. Drive a Subaru WRX so if I keep it out of boost (77+ mph in 5th gear) I can get pretty good gas mileage. I've tested this theory quite extensively on the NYS Thruway to and from Buffalo. Drove there with cruise set at 75 and did good in terms of gas. Drove back with it set at 79 and probably burned 4 extra gallons. What a difference a 100 rpms make.

I'll talk to him tomorrow about driving down. It would be weird for me to drive and his father (who will have to drive past my house to get to the airport) to fly. I'll see what he thinks about the potential take and take it from there.

Thanks again for the replies.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Well, it's pretty much decided, I'm going!

Now, how's the weather. I checked Weather.com and it looks to be warm next week there (note: It's 4 degrees here right now). Won't even drop below freezing it seems. That's some nice hunting weather.

Talked to my uncle and we'll drive down, make it easier (and cheaper) on us both.

Guess we'll go after puddler's and divers. Don't know anything about MD hunting except it's pretty good. I'd love a redhead for my wall, but will happily settle for a blue bill. And by settle, I mean you'll hear me screaming with joy from what ever spot we park in.

Any words of advice?
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:29 pm

If your hunting the bay bring plenty of shells. I think you should have no problem getting a Bluebill. The more decoys the better.

Good Luck
Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby ninethreeeleven » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:53 am

I'll see you jackals in the morning!

Leaving in about 10 minutes.

Thanks for the info.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:27 pm

All is said and done and well... the weather was just too damn nice. They kept calling for storms but it never happened.

In total we got 6 ducks and a goose. I got 1 giant hen mallard and the goose, first goose ever (they've never been in season when I see them). The first day we got skunked!

2nd day was complete fog, with probably 75 yards visibility, but 75 feet visibility for something as small as a duck. They would litterely just "pop out" of the cloud in front of us and it was a matter of seconds before they popped in.

Gun jams, sunken mojo, boat leak the works.

But I did see some amazing things, like 5000+ geese take flight in the distance and thousands of what my cousin said were canvasbacks (no idea, they were about a mile away) swarm like a tornado across the bay.

Got to see my first Old Squaw, first Bufflehead (much respect for those who shoot them, they're both tiny and fast as all hell).

It will become a yearly trip, and hopefully next year we will hunt the Potomac.

I leave you with a pretty amazing photo that I took with a simple 5MP Canon point and shoot.

Sorry it's so big (when you click) I set it as my wallpaper within minutes of being back in NY.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Maybe next year the weather will be a little better or should I say worse. That picture turned out great. I bet your glad you drove to save a few bucks. This year has been different for me not as many divers in my area like last year. Then again I hunt close to home to save a little money on fuel.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

location?

Postby woodaddy100200 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:10 pm

well i live in cambridge maryland and well theres so many r.s.a's around there realy isnt much duck...we have killed over 200 honkers thus far thou!!!
woodaddy100200
Newb

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting