Black Ducks

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Black Ducks

Postby Labs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Does anyone know where we can get into the mallards in Maryland? It seems all we can get into are the black ducks....kinda want to shoot something different....wouldn't mind blue bills or cans or sea ducks either....if some one wants some black ducks, we can get you on some, but we would have to blindfold you to get to the spot...LOL

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby slicendice » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:22 am

Easy now, brother!! Don't go giving out our super secret spot!!
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 am

Now, all that complaining. Next year it might get cold and you will not see any blacks and you'll be complaining again. :wink:

If they blacks were not around you might not be seeing any ducks on the river. The river is ussually a goose hunting spot and a rare duck or two in your limit. This year has been better.

Your going to have to travel and hit some public lands down by the bay. Here's the list and some you need a permit for but all the numbers are there to call on.
http://www.madduckoutdoors.com/public_hunting.htm#Maryland
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Lefty26 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:12 pm

I'm just happy to be shooting some ducks and posting as many pictures of them as possible.
Last edited by Lefty26 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:34 pm

Nice post.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Labs
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:29 am

That probably doesnt sound very good does it.

We will head out and shoot some black ducks on the 21st..... :biggrin: :biggrin:
Lefty26
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:29 am

Black duck have seemed to be wintering around here more lately, or near me. The Blacks roost on ponds and use the creeks as flyways to get to the river. Watch them at dark and you'll see where they go.

The mallards seem to like ponds and creeks around here and finding their roosts seem to be key to hunting them around here. Many times they totally avoid the river in favor of creeks and ponds.

drive back by the fish hatchery at Rt 66 and 70 and watch the little slough they play in just in front of the house on beaver creek. There will be 20 in that little hole some times. Duck scouting out here in the mountains is a bit harder than goose and just scouting from the toe path

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34 am

Lefty,
If you want to shoot some mallards I would start scouting that creek over by your house. They like that creek and so do the geese. You can't hunt the creek, but you can hunt the land next to the creek, if you get landowner permission, and put decoys on land and in the creek. :thumbsup:

just always wear waders in there. They post signs from time to time about extra untreated poo getting loose from the treatment plant. Unless you hit up stream of the plant. I have have some of the best shoots in peoples back yards that had goose problems. :yes:

They stock trout down stream from there. I always went fishing with a buddy and he asked me if I wanted the fish. I always said "No, you can have them." :rofl:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:48 am

I have already thought about that, but I havn't had a chance to scout and do some door knocking. I see the ducks and geese flying over my house every night, I need to get permission to hunt the legion that would be the honey hole. :biggrin:

I do a lot of fly fishing in the creek and there is a lot more than pooh floating down that creek, you fish down town h-town and there is so much trash and junk. I would never eat a fish caught out of there. It's ashame because that water has some potential for good trout and small mouth fishing.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby slicendice » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:52 am

Yeah, Alot of "brown trout" there in the creek... :yes:
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:06 pm

Yea, the "flush tax" is supposed to fix all that. That loose poo that slips by is what ruins the bay not farmers as they talk about.

I am a member of the legion and me and wife just ate lunch there yesterday. Sam Admas @ $0.95 on draft. :tongue: I see if I can put the good word in for us, but I doubt it.

I know where they fly over there and where they roost most of the time, but I'll only spill it over a beer in my garage. :yes:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 pm

The words "spill" and "beer" should never be used together in a sentence!!
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Spilt beer is not a big deal around here.

The dog needs to drink too. He likes all Momma warm beer when she does not drink fast enough. :yes:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mdterps » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:12 pm

I wasn't sure about that black duck post until I saw the follow up messages......real classy. I didn't think anyone would purposely put that up here but it didn't take long before some other joker chimed in. I've visited this forum frequently but never felt the urge to post until now.

Do you think it's funny to post up something like that on a public forum? Was that your attempt at a joke? Stuff like that doesn't belong so I hope you don't plan on doing it again.

And another thing, lighten up on the posts. I see you fellas are new to our state and its good you're finding hunting spots but quit talking about the details of every hunt you go on. Where its at and posting up a photo of every single bird you shoot. Not get enough attention otherwise?

All I'm saying is you're stepping on toes and some veteran hunters out here aren't happy. Plenty of guys on this forum could post a lot of pictures of the numerous ducks theyve shot, but they don't. We don't need to see and hear it all. Ease up.
mdterps
Newb

Postby Lefty26 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:07 pm

I wasn't thinking when I typed my first post that is why I corrected my comment. If I offended you I appoligize.

As for the rest of your post the only words that can come to mind are go pound sand buddy. If I want to post a pic of every bird I kill you can bet your britches I'm gonna do it. If our pictures offend you don't read our threads. If reading about people killing ducks is stepping on your toes perhaps a duck hunting forum is not the place for you to lurk.

I'm sure a google search can point you in the direction of some tree hugging hippy forums. Maybe you will be less offended there.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby mdterps » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:41 pm

Did I not make it clear enough before that I'm a hunter? Apparently not or else your "tree hugging hippy" comment wouldn't make any sense. Between that zinger and telling me to go pound sand, I can see that I'm well outmatched. How about not taking it as a personal attack and understand what I was saying. Just be a bit more respectful and try and keep this forum from becoming your personal pissing ground.
mdterps
Newb

Postby slicendice » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 pm

MDTerp,

As you noted, we are new to hunting and new to this forum. I've found the forum very helpful and I've met some really good people here. I won't comment on the thing Lefty said that offended you because that's a problem between him and you.

What I don't understand is the hostility towards the pics we post. As I stated, we're new here and new to duck hunting in general. Although we are new to this particular forum, we have been some deer and general hunting forums for years. When guys kill a deer, they post it on those other forums. If a guy kills a turkey, he posts it. Some guys browse those forums just to see some pics of other guys harvests. i know I do. If this forum or duck hunting in general is different and guys aren't supposed to post pics or share about their hunting experiences, then I apologize and claim ignorance. But i am curious as to why? When I post a pic, it isn't to brag or try to prove I know everything about fowling, because I don't. I've been duckhunting for about a month now. I'm sure I've seen less birds from the blind than most of you guys have killed in a season. I know I have alot to learn, but I'm proud of what I've learned so far and I'm proud of what I've killed. How or why that is offending other guys, I don't know and I'd be grateful if you could let me know why guys don't want pics posted. I didn't come here to fight and I sure didn't come here to ruffle feathers. I simply came here to learn from guys with more experience and to meet some new people. So far, I've accomplished both. Personally, I'd love to see more pics from guys. MD is a unique state when it comes to ducking because of the wide variety of places you can hunt from and the wide variety of ducks that can be hunted there. I'd love to see more pics, not less...

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby mdterps » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:22 pm

I can't argue with what you said, Jon. That's the kind of respectful posts I think belong on the a forum like this. I wasn't overly concerned with the other threads until I read the garbage about black ducks on MLK and saw other guys thinking it was cute. That along with the gay quips just pissed me off a bit. I don't think there's any place for that. Kidding around with your buddies is one thing but I have no respect for stuff like that on here. My apologies for the hostility, just trying to keep it about duck hunting.
mdterps
Newb

Postby Lefty26 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:35 pm

That’s the problem with this state and our country in general. You can't say anything anymore with out someone being offended. It's really ridiculous.

So to clarify, are we OK to post our pictures now? Did my non gay buddy Slice give a good enough argument that we now have your permission to post pics?
Lefty26
hunter

Postby mdterps » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:05 pm

You can't let it go, still gotta add the smartass comment. I don't think its being overly sensitive for someone to get agitated by you saying "we're gonna shoot blacks on MLK day". Is it such a problem that you have to be careful not to say something that dumb?
mdterps
Newb

Postby Labs » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:45 pm

mdterps wrote:You can't let it go, still gotta add the smartass comment. I don't think its being overly sensitive for someone to get agitated by you saying "we're gonna shoot blacks on MLK day". Is it such a problem that you have to be careful not to say something that dumb?

If you would have read that post in and of itself, yes, it would be offensive, however, taken in context of this thread any so called well educated person would easily conclude that Lefty was talking about ducks...it just so happens that we have a hunting trip planned for Monday, we we get the day off because its MLK day. I said "nice post" because I figured some short minded person would read it and not have the sense to figure out that it was ducks that were being discussed.

As far as posting pictures, I am not new to waterfowling, but I am new to the state of MD. 1) I would like to know who all the other people are who are mad about us posting pictures, and 2) who elected you to be their spokesperson? I will continue to post pictures on here, whether you like it or not...it is my first ammendment right to post pictures on here, and you or anyone else (except the site owners/moderators) can tell me not to post pictures. Lefty and Slice are new to waterfowling are damn proud of the few ducks that they have killed this season. The only thing I can figure is that you and your old timers a) aren't killing any ducks or b) mad because the newbies are getting some trigger time in...either way, if you don't like it, don't read the post, or keep your comments to yourself.

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:50 am

Hey look, My first real job as the Maryland Moderator.

Relax fellas, all of you. MDterps, I already spoke with slicendice and the other guys about mindfull of what pictue you put up and what spots you talk about as people will start hunting your spot. They found out on another thread then as I could tell just about exactly where they were on the river and they deleted the picture that I told them I could indentify the river on.

The point is there are a ton of lurker/internet scouters. They do not bother to scout on their own and they wait for people to post where they are hunting so they can hit the birds at the same spot. You can do it other areas of the country but not around here, unless you want to look for a new spot.

Can they post pictures of every hunt? Yes. There is no forum rules preventng them. They host photos on another server and management here will not care. It a site for talking and sharing and that is what they are doing.

Should they post any and all pictures of the sites they vist and talk about where they are? Not if they want to keep hunting them, alone. :smile: If they want to out every spot they hunt they can, and I can not moderate them for doing so. It's not against the forum rules. It's going to seriously anger some local hunters and screw up their own hunting, but I can only advise people to not do it.

I can't say these guys have done anything wrong. There have been other local guys actually spouting the spots they are hunting and using the location map on the map. I think some people don't know how many internet scouters there are. I lost one of my best spots after the Game warden checked me a couple of times. We share hunting info and I think he shared it with some other guys. Now I am looking for another spot with less educated geese. :sad: You might even have to what what you say to the Game warden.

So post pics and just use discresion in doing so. And everyone use discression when typing on the keyboard. If not I will be forced to edit your posts if you get carrie d away.

Relax, and have a beer. :thumbsup:

Better yet, have a beer with me. :yes: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mdterps » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:26 pm

I want you guys to know that the photos comment was just a result of being steamed about the other post. I was really bothered by MLK post, whether you intended it or not, and subsequently went off about the recent influx of what I thought might be better said in private messages. In truth, I'm not trying to control the post of pictures. Like I've said so many times in these messages, just want it to be respectful.
mdterps
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey no problem. I know how duck/goose hunter get touchy about their spots.

Next time I see you I'll give you a hug so you can feel all better. :wink:

Did you get that all over shiver? :rofl: :rofl:

I hope that did not bother you. I ussually difuse tense situations with humor. :yes:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PSUbuzz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:55 pm

damn people got touchy haha, I like forums like this because i got started duck and goose hunting learning from other veterans. Without people giving advice and taking me out, I wouldve had a bad time not shooting ducks and i think most outdoor sports are like that. If you arent successful on your first few times out, youll get bored and quit. Being new to duck hunting and successful warrants a little bragging in my opinion. Everyone lighten up a little bit and go have some fun. Im using the day off to do some rabbit hunting since ducks went out up here. We still got geese though :tongue:
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting