Upper Potomac River

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Upper Potomac River

Postby coldweatherfan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Cold weather is finally here for the last week of duck season!
Lets all have a good 'end of season' and be careful out there.
Water is still up a little and there should be a pretty good number of puddle ducks to be seen - maybe even something other than just black ducks....
Guys, lets keep the line of communications open as to whats being seen out there... and watch out for each other!
Potomac River DU dinner is Sat. Feb. 2 in Gaithersburg.
Anyone wishing details may PM me.

Good hunting and good times!
coldweatherfan
hunter

Postby jumping jasper » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:25 pm

:help: Speaking of Upper Potomac. Can some one please help clarify the hunting regs. I am some what new to the area NOVA and have a jet boat with a pop up blind. After reviewing the regs it looks like a need a Maryland resident in the boat to hunt waterfowl however another section said a non-resident can hunt next to WMA’s.
I would appreciate any help or advice. :hijacked: I apologies for high jacking the thread ,but I was going to post with the same title

Jeff
jumping jasper
hunter

Postby coldweatherfan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:50 pm

I have been told that you need a licensed Maryland resident with you to hunt from a boat blind in the Potomac river. Make sure that you have the Md. non-res. Lic. as well as a Md. state stamp and Fed. stamp - I am not sure that a HIP applies to non-res. seasonal lic...?
Whatever you do, the "MAN" or "WOMAN" will be able to "write" you for something ....
What area are you looking to hunt - upper or lower Potomac?
coldweatherfan
hunter

Postby jumping jasper » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:26 am

I am looking to hunt the upper. I have been hunting field Geese in Maryland and am fully licensed non resident hunter. I have also hunted geese and wood duck on the Shenandoah VA side. I hear you about the Game Warden and game/boat laws.
jumping jasper
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:48 pm

All I know is, that if I catch a certain person on the Potomac again leaving birds lay on the ground, I will be calling the DNR. I know your truck and your rig....if you would have still been there when I found the drake mergie you shot and left lay, I would have called immediately....

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:01 pm

Shawn, PM, e-mail or call me. What county what ramp and all.

If your hunting South Washington County Ray Harner is the local ranger for Southern county. There is also another younger guy in his late 20's to 30's but I forgot his name.

I would warn the guy and report them after that.

How did ya'll do on Monday? They had us figured out.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Labs » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:54 pm

We ended up with three greenheads on Monday...no black ducks or geese...could have shot a couple of mergies, but we passed on those. The wind kicked up and was blowing right in our faces and the ducks were landing out in front of us...I think that I have to get a little blind for the dog...she sits still when the birds are working, but she moves her head to watch them and I think that is flaring birds. I let her move around when nothing is flying, but I think that has gotten us in trouble, as well. I will be concealing her good the rest of this week and see what happens...

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby coldweatherfan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:04 pm

If you are not going to eat it - or mount it - don't shoot it!

Went out this morning and saw a lot of ducks - about 85% blacks.
Birds were trading in and out of the flowing ice - seemed to favor the Virginia shore and the flowing ice where we were. Its impossible to set decoys in the ice flows so look for pockets and back sides of frozen areas.
Geese moved a little later in the morning - mostly large flocks but a couple of groups of 10 or so. They were looking for some friends on the water!
If anyone finds a really nice life preserver out there - thank my dog and use it in good health...!
coldweatherfan
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Got out this morning with Labs. Saw a lot of ducks, had the typical bunch that decoys before shooting light had some more come through while we were out fixing tangled decoys. Finally got some shooting in at some mallards before we left, ended up with 3 drakes.

Took a little swim in the river while recovering a duck which was nice and refreshing. Nothing will wake you up better than some nice cold river water spilling down your waders. :thumbsdown:
Lefty26
hunter

Postby coldweatherfan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:26 pm

I guess you should have had 'labs' dog do the fetching!
Somehow the quote about dogs proving you wrong applies...
A wader belt helps keep the cool water to a minimum!
Did you see my life jacket floating down the river?
I didn't get out today - how was the ice flow?
coldweatherfan
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:47 pm

Ice was at a minimum today...there were pockets of it here and there, but not alot coming downstream...at least not big chunks of it. We had the lab in the truck at this point, but we probably should have gone back and gotten her....

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Stoger » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:24 pm

Labs,
Nothing pisses me off more than seeing someone dump birds they have shot!!! Why kill a duck if you are not going to do something with it? I have a few friends that do that.
I am looking to go out on the river Saturday morning for a few hours. Im hoping there is not to much ice floating.
Stoeger
Boonsboro
Stoger
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Good luck to everyone that will be out tomorrow and be safe....if you smell bacon and eggs in the morning your set up too close to me.... :yes: If you smell steak at lunch time, move farther away... :yes: ....if your hungry, sneak your way over for some good food, because I am brining the portable stove tomorrow for an all day event!!! :thumbsup:

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:07 am

Stoger,

Have I talked with you before? :huh: I live in the Boonsboro mailing address off the Sharpsburg pike.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Cuuped-N-Commited

Postby Stoger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Yes, we have emailed before. You told me a couple of weeks ago George Wooden had mentioned our shop to you. Also, we must have had some discussion before via email. I am up off of Boonsboro Mountain Road.
Stoeger
Boonsboro
Stoger
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:50 pm

hey western MD team. Seein how everyone is still doin down there. I just skipped class for last day of goose up here. Me and 3 buddies knocked down 11 honkers today. Thinkin about maybe a trip home soon to get back on the river if the season is still in... Whats the deal down there?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:18 pm

all closed up.....late resident geese went out today....sorry buddy. Snows are still in season, but you will have to be on the eastern shore for that....

Labs
Labs
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting