New to Forum- Have some Questions on McKee Beshers

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

New to Forum- Have some Questions on McKee Beshers

Postby James D. » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Hey Folks,

I am new to this forum but have reviewed a bunch of posts over the past few days and finally got up the nerve to sign up, get a password, and start asking some questions! Hope you all dont mind the intrusion...

I am a relatively new waterfowler and all of my hunts to date have been with guides on the eastern shore. while they have given me some great opoprtunities for ducks, canadas, snows, divers, etc., I have been wanting to get out and have a go at it myself.

In any case, I called the folks at McKee Beshers the other day to inquire about the flooded timber hunting, only to find out that the "water is low" and therefore, not much flooded timber is available.

Here is my issue- I have a few dozen decoys (mallards, woodies, teal), a good pair of chest waders and a buddy lined up for later this week but I want to know if it is worth hitting the open water ponds at the WMA or trying to get over to Maddux Island if I dont have a boat. THe guy on the phone said I could "probably" get to the island without a boat...

I am not asking for any secret honey holes, etc., but just want to know if I should head down there to check it out and if so, where should I be parking and walking in.

Any info would be great!! Thanks again!!!!

James D.
James D.
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Well, I am not aware of that section of the river, but the river has not been low for 2 months and wading in cold water can be a dangerous game, exspecially if your not familar with where you are going. .

Looking forward I would think of a stable boat and look for places on the river for next year. Maybe even hit the blind lottery and look for other guys in the lottery to team up with as a huntng crew. More people in the crew the better chance for choice spots and more of them.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby coldweatherfan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:53 pm

DO NOT TRY WADING OVER TO THE ISLAND!!!!
The person that advised you to try that should be fired!
As far as the swamps - you never know 'till you try!
Why not give it a try as a scouting trip? Head out early and watch the ducks - not too many people back there this time of year. We have had some good late season hunts in the marshes. If you are going to take decoys - just take a few and head back to the back of the marshes - not the ponds in front.
Take a wading stick with you - lots of stuff in the water to trip you - also helps for bringing in the decoys and picking up birds.
Travel light!
Good luck if you give it a try - you will never get many ducks sitting at home and wondering.
Try Poole's store for lunch - good country ham sandwiches...
coldweatherfan
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:02 pm

James,

The timber flooded real late this year, but it is really low....the problem now is that most or all of the ponds are now frozen, so it would be a wasted hike back there. As far as wading over to the island, it can be done, but the last time I was down there, which was last week, the water was up pretty high...however, it is dropping. If you don't know the river there, I would not suggest trying to wade across, especially in the dark. PM me and I can give you some more info on hunting out there...

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting