End of season

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

End of season

Postby rmh » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:44 pm

End of the season for waterfowl. Not bad, saw more geese this year than last, just didn't hit as many as I should have. How'd y'all do?
rmh
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:41 pm

Not real great this year but still got my share. 2 weeks left for resident geese so it's not over yet.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby rmh » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Yeah I know, I'm east of the cut off and have pushed the edge of the domestic envelope for hunting days. Still looking for an RP place, though.
rmh
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:06 am

This year sucked for me. I have been real busy and some one else has been educating the geese really good up here this year. The geese where scared of the shore line by youth day this year. :rolleyes: and I know it was not me as I hardly hunted until later in the season.

I am going to low profile blinds.

Any one want to buy a Cabelas blind with an added roof? Set up for a 54" beam. It should work good for you bay boys.

Mike if you want to see it yu better get up here as it might be on craiglist after a while. :yes:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:41 am

Rob,

Sorry to hear you had a bad year. Then again a banded bird for your son should have eased some of your pain. Are you going to buy a kayak for a low profile :yes: The Divers here seemed a lot more difficult this year not many would decoy for us. After seeing a 20 year old banded Blue Bill posted I wonder if they are just getting smarter.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:30 am

Ah it was not that bad. The boy banging a few geese helped a lot. My buddy is interested now and he knows a lot of farmers up here, so permissions should go up. :thumbsup:

I just think I need to meet some more guys hunting up here and start educating hunters about educating geese. I know it's hard some times but the geese knew exactly what was up after the early season. It's never been like that before.

So I am going to layouts and changing plans for next year. More options on how and where to hunt. Different boats and maybe even a grey brown layout and hunt the middle of the rapids just like a rock. I am sure that will surprise them. :rofl: :yes:

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Labs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:40 pm

we may be going to body booting for next year....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

end of season

Postby rmh » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:57 pm

I'll keep doing layouts for geese. Have a farm I can hunt next year.
rmh
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:51 pm

We did ok on Saturday....the day started off kinda slow, but we got some good shooting after 11. We ended the season with three mallard, two black ducks, and two geese....all but one decoyed really well, which was kind of surprising this late in the season...here are the pics from Saturdays hunt....

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 am

Shawn,

Are these body boots thermal? I tried that standing in the water with waders one day and got to doing the shiver uncontrolably. :wink: That water cooled me off pretty good.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DaveMD » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:14 am

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good season. I got a nice drake red head in Maryland, a first for me. It did get slow from mid december to mid january, but it has the last few years. I had a couple skunks, but thats hunting, no big deal. I was disapointed I never got a nice drake pintail this year. Last year I was spoiled by several. I did get a few gadwall, and I shot none of those last year. Every year things are different. Didn't shoot many limits, but still had a great time.

I am just happy just getting out there, going to remote places and enjoying the sport with friends.

I ended the season with great hunt with good friends, here is the highlight pic:

DaveMD
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:Shawn,

Are these body boots thermal? I tried that standing in the water with waders one day and got to doing the shiver uncontrolably. :wink: That water cooled me off pretty good.

Rob, you forget that I am from Minnesota....it got cold one day here so far this past season...that was MLK day when it was 19 degrees! I just use 1200 g thinsulate neoprene waders with fleece everything underneath....Stay plenty warm...just have to figure out where I can hide the dawg!

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:21 pm

I think the high was 19 degrees that day, it was only 7 when we met up and launched the boat. The cold usually doesn't bother me much but that day was brutal.
Lefty26
hunter

end of season

Postby rmh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:10 pm

You're right it was cold MLK. Had to stay in and go to Dr., strange rash that looked like Lyme, it wasn't but I missed the day anyway. Sounds like every one had a good season, though.
rmh
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:11 am

Photobucket finally loaded a pic for me. Here's are take on the last day.
Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:13 am

We had a Gadwall Drake 15 yards off the side of the boat the weekend after duck season goes out. :no:

We could have limited out on ducks, but .. It's just the way things work. :rofl:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:37 pm

Rob,

I see more ducks after the season goes out every year. I just take the camera out and shoot some pictures. I just noticed from the picture I posted I will be cleaning a lot of rust off the blind,

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:32 pm

Some nice pictures, especially the Cans. :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting