Turkeys

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Turkeys

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:59 pm

I know this is a duck hunting forum, but with the RP goose season winding down, I thought that I would start a thread in here about the turkey season. It will give us something else to talk about until the duck season rolls around again. How many of you guys out there hunt turkeys during the spring? And how many of you out there don't hunt turkeys....and why not?? Are there any people that are out there would like to get into turkey hunting, but don't know where to begin...let's get the dialog flowing!

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby curtisjr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Turkey seaons is great it will be looking really good at the end of march after two months of nothing to do. it is not duck hunting but it is really nice to get out and watch everything come alive in the spring. There is no bigger challenge than getting a gobbler into gun range.
curtisjr
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:31 pm

I agree...I also like watching the return migration, because you typically see those full plume ducks that you don't normally see during the early seasons...ie the blue wing teal....

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:19 pm

only shot one and it was up here in PA. But i might have to come back down to the parents house and try to pop one this spring. I got a buddy up here at college thats pretty good at calling, he actually loves turkey hunting more than ducks.... pfff amature
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby slicendice » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:31 am

Turkeys get me going! I like cupped up ducks and geese, but nothing gets my motor running like a strutting turkey. My house is covered with turkey calls. I've got no less than 5 or 6 calls on display in the living room and more than I can count in the gun cabinet. I'm hoping to get my 10 year his hunter safety course and take him out this spring, but we'll have to see. I have also made my own calls in the past. Below is a pic of call I made a couple of years ago. It's a Zebra Wood Glass over Slate with a purpleheart / hickory striker.

2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby duk_hunter » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:07 am

never been, but it's somthing i'd love to try. about the only time i've seen wild turkeys is while deer hunting with no fall turkey season.
duk_hunter
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:26 pm

if you like deer hunting, and you like duck hunting, then turkey hunting is the sport for you...it combines the best of both worlds and it's up close and personal....but be warned...if you get into this sport, it will over take you like a sickness....nothing better than sitting in the dark and you have a gobbler sounding off within 60 yds of where you are set up....when they spit and drum and they are close, you can feel it in your chest...it will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up...simply awesome!

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:31 pm

Love the cat and mouse game of turkey hunting. I already have a leave slip in for opening day and the next week. slicendice here's a few calls to look at.

Mike

Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Labs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:53 pm

Mike, sweett calls...do you make them or did you purchase them somewhere? Here is a zebra wood aluminum over glass with a zebra wood striker...custom call by Lights Out Calls in Arkansas....sound spectacular...

Labs
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:30 pm

A few turkey pics to get you guys fired up a little bit...come on, let's get posting and sharing some ideas/hunts/memories...etc...

Labs
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 pm

Labs,
I made those calls over a few years. I only have one bird under my belt last year. Hunting public land is tough. Seems like every time I set up on a bird someone would get in between us or run him off. I used the last call on the left to bring him in. It's Sassafras slate / aluminum / slate with a Redheart striker. It will really scream for a slate.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:00 pm

I can't seem to upload any more pics to photobucket. Here's one of a youth hunt 2 seasons ago. I'm 3rd from the right.

The other is of one of my hunting buddies with his son same season.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:02 am

Nice pics guys! Here are a couple of mine and a couple that I've collected over the years (just the ones that were easy to get to quickly in the cabinet)...

2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:09 pm

Here is an old school Lefty and Slice pic with a bird he killed on my first ever turkey hunt.

Lefty26
hunter

Postby slicendice » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks for posting that pic, Lefty. I don't have a scanner and didn't have it on my computer.

There's a good story that goes with that bird. That bird was taken on the second day of the season. 3 days before the season, my family and I were involved in a head-on collision with a kid who was high on heroin. Long story short, I got a compression fracture in my back, my wife broke her neck and lacerated her spleen and my 3 year old was taken by chopper to Hershey Med Center because of bleeding on the brain. I missed the opener because of the injuries and taking care of the family, but it absolutely killed me to miss that opener. So after squaring away everything at home, I called Lefty that night and asked if he wanted to hunt turkeys the next morning because I needed someone to come with me to help me get around due to my back injury. Being the good friend he is, he said sure. Next morning, after having to stop several times on the walk to the top of the ridge to puke because the pain was intense, we were right in with the birds at first gobble. Birds were flying down all around us. Again, long story short, Lefty couldn't get on the birds with his gun, so I dropped this 18lb jake. If you look closely, you'll see my daughters hospital ID band on the birds back.

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Nice Jake, buddy...how long ago did you hammer that one?

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby slicendice » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:10 pm

2005. I wasn't passing on any legal birds that morning!!
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck