Maryland Bill Establishes Minimum Hunting Age in Jeopardy

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Maryland Bill Establishes Minimum Hunting Age in Jeopardy

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:35 am

Maryland Bill Establishes Minimum Hunting Age Youth Recruitment Efforts in Jeopardy

Legislation has been introduced in Maryland that will establish a minimum hunting age while devastating youth recruitment efforts.

House Bill 655, sponsored by Del. Barbara Frush, D-Beltsville, and Virginia P. Clagett, D-Annapolis, prohibits anyone under the age of 13 from receiving a hunting license. Under current law youth under the age of 15 must pass a hunter education course and be
under the supervision of a licensed hunter. There is no justification for establishing a minimum age requirement.

“If passed, this bill will have a devastating effect on recruiting young hunters and the future of wildlife conservation in Maryland,” said Rob Sexton, USSA vice president for government affairs. “The bill is a deliberate attempt to sabotage the future of hunting.”

Research has shown that people are far less likely to take up hunting after age twelve. Research also has shown that young hunters are the safest hunters in the field when accompanied by an experienced mentor. In other words, this bill does nothing to
ensure safe hunting, but it will accelerate the destruction of hunting.

“Parents, not the government, are far more equipped to know when their sons and daughters are ready to hunt,” said Sexton.

This bill goes against the nationwide trend of lowering barriers and easing restrictions on recruiting the next generation of sportsmen. Twenty-two states, including Virginia, have passed Families Afield-style measures since 2004 aimed at improving youth
participation and recruitment.

House Bill 655 has been referred to the House Environmental Matters Committee.

Take Action! Maryland sportsmen should contact their legislator to reject HB 655. Let them know that you oppose unnecessary restrictions on youth hunting. To find your representative, call (410) 946-5400 or use the Legislative Action Center at
www.ussportsmen.org.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:59 pm

You boys pay attention!!

This Barbara Frush puts in anti-gun and anti-hunter bills every year and this is just the start of it.

Washington County sportsmen Federation has a working relationship with Garrett, Allegany, Frederick and Carrol County sportsmen club federations. They have been taking the lead and going to the legislature about these bills.

They ran an add in last years hunting book about it but where not very specific about it. Several other local clubs joined them as associates. I am trying to get Ray Gibben's which runs it to possibly do a Maryland's Sportsmens Federation, but meeting might be hard.

Maybe some one could sugest a free web meeting or confernce call service?

Maryland Sportmen's Assoc is said to be losing it steam and this seems to be a great alternative to support MD Sportsmen. Even Maryland Waterfowl Association is noticing them as a driving force. They are also planning on pushing for a Sunday hunting bill for all deer seaon and Frederick county possibly is the talk.

If you need a contact get with me and I make sure they get with you or your club. We need your numbers to be strong!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rmh » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:25 am

I have abit of influence with some of the SOMD legislators, I'll talk to them. The problem is that you all know how things work in this state-a delegate brings up a bill enough times the rest get tired of looking at it so it gets passed.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:35 am

Chris,

Thanks for the information. I have passed this on to a lot of others already. Rob and rmh thanks for your effort.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Trailman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 pm

The Maryland Waterfowlers Association is reaching out on this bill. We will also have someone at the Environmental Matters hearing to give testimony.
"It does not take a majority to prevail . . . but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.”
Trailman
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting