Possibly moving to MD... need a little advice

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Possibly moving to MD... need a little advice

Postby addctd2quack » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Ok guys.. I've been hunting ducks and geese a good while now and now I'm dating a girl from the Severna Park area and I'm looking to move there with her sometime in the next year or so. I currently live on the Eastern Shore if Virginia. How hard is it going to be finding new spots to hunt over there? What do I have to look forward to? Field hunting? Blinds? Layout boat? I just want to have a heads up on what I'm getting myself into. Any information would be great. Thanks!
kill ducks
addctd2quack
Newb

Postby mdgooseman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:32 am

you have alot to look forward to down here man. finding land to hunt can be a problem unless you have a boat and want to register some shoreline. i have never seen so many geese down here like i have this year. We also have had alot of ducks and it was a great year to waterfowl. we mostly use pits laydowns or blinds in the edge of a hedgerow when were in fields, but there is nothing better than the goose pit. For a water spot try to find a good freshwater pond or nice spot tucked up in a cove off the miles river(lots of ducks and geese everywhere here). best huntingspots on the easternshore are in st. michaels, tighlman,trappe,and if you get a good snow your in luck. any place along the miles or choptank river and you should be set.

Nick
mdgooseman
hunter

Postby mplhunter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:09 pm

You have a PM.....
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Your best bet........make her move down with you. I made the mistake of chasing a girl to this liberal riden state 8 years ago and I have been trying to get out ever since. :thumbsdown:

On the upside the waterfowl hunting is good here if you can find some spots. :biggrin:
Lefty26
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:00 am

Here is many of the Public land areas.
http://www.madduckoutdoors.com/public_hunting.htm#Maryland

If you got a boat you can apply for the blind lottery for the bay blind sites in August, I think. Try to get in with acrew if you do that. The more guys in the crew the more and better spots to hunt.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting