Is this real or a joke?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Is this real or a joke?

Postby slicendice » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:07 am

My buddy was browsing another site and came across this. It had a link, but the link did not work. I was wondering, is this an April Fools joke, or has anyone heard about this...

MARYLAND: Decrease in Length of Migratory Waterfowl Season a Likely Option

ANNAPOLIS — The Maryland Department of Natural Resources Wildlife and Heritage Service has stated that it will most likely follow any recommendations made by the Atlantic Flyway Advisory panel concerning the decreasing numbers of breeding waterfowl observed in the Canadian provinces due to the extremely poor conditions of the breeding grounds. Given the poor conditions to the breeding grounds to sustained cold weather in the provinces, the breeding grounds will most likely remain frozen for the duration of the early breeding season. This coupled with the loss of over 1.2 million acres in CRP, that have been converted to farmland due to the recent increases in grain prices have the Atlantic Flyway Commission calling for potential changes in the upcoming 2008-2009 waterfowl seasons.
Atlantic Flyway Council spokesman Dr. Neil Mcleod stated “That given the one-two punch of poor nesting conditions coupled with the tremendous loss of nesting habitat that they may have no choice to lower the waterfowl season to either a 45-day/3 bird limit or worse a 30-day/4 bird limit.” This change will most likely effect all the Mid-Atlantic states along with some states in the Central flyway. Mcleod, also cautioned that this is a worse case scenario and that further analysis of nesting success will have to be evaluated before final recommendations can be made.
“We are foremost concerned with this new development and will look to first protect our wonderful resource of migratory waterfowl, despite the economic consequences”, said, Bill Watts Associate Director of Game Management. Watts also warned “That it is still too early to tell what may come into effect next season, but that Maryland would most likely follow the Flyway council recommendations.”
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby slicendice » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:20 am

it turns out this was an April Fools joke on another board. No need to panic.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:38 am

Did you panic and get that sick feeling. :lol:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck-it » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:51 am

I read this and was headed for the Bay Bridge and it wasn't to cross it either............ :fingerhead:
Duck-it
hunter

Postby slicendice » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:34 am

Yeah, I panicked for sure!!! I kinda thought it might be a joke, but it sounded official enough that it scared me!!
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:38 pm

I can see how someone would fall for that. I'm sure a few people were bent when they read it.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:09 am

That's how the best jokes are done, with a lot of thought. I bet they had that ready two months ago and just waiting for April 1st to show up. :rofl:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting