Down Time

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Down Time

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Anybody working on their rigs and decoys yet? As soon as the weather and a few other things stabilize I will be touching the decoys. And some other projects Rob. :thumbsup:

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Duck-it » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:58 am

If I wasn't as dumb as a brick I could post some pics and show you.
I have finished my duck boat and blind.
Just finished last night repainting 3 & 1/2 doz dekes I got from Disco Duck.
My next project will be a dog platform for the boat.
I'll be turkey hunting Friday and Saturday, then we're going down to Chesapeake Beach for some rockfishing.
Been working with the dogs on there retreives and thats going great.
Can't wait !!!!!!!
Duck-it
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:37 am

Yea, you get to work Mike. :hammer: :rofl:

No, I have not been working on stuff. August comes and I go. :eek: I have too much going on. It's horse time now. My daughter has shows and is also starting to learn roping in small parts. I got 15 yards of dirt to try and make head way with this weekend, and fishing and maybe even turkeys if I can find time.

Now, time to work on decoys. :no: The killed them last year. I am going to make a flat type layout cover for my jon boat. I will be working on that maybe in the garage in a month or two. Then I am selling the boat blind with the roof. I had it on craigslist but I am sure that expired by now.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

flat boat blind/cover

Postby coldweatherfan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:51 pm

CnC,
When you start with the low profile boat cover/blind send me a note.
I have a lot of good ideas gone wrong!.... I am starting the same project soon maybe we can keep each other from making some of the same mistakes.
I just had my pods installed on the boat at Rudy's beer and welding and am waiting for the river to go back down - after last night and todays rain- to test it out.
coldweatherfan
hunter

Re: flat boat blind/cover

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:03 am

coldweatherfan wrote:CnC,
When you start with the low profile boat cover/blind send me a note.
I have a lot of good ideas gone wrong!.... I am starting the same project soon maybe we can keep each other from making some of the same mistakes.

I will, I wanted to go light weight, but that dog you see to the left is 95 pounds and will hop right over the side back into the boat if the water is only 12" to 18". I wanted to go with cordura, but his big arse is sure to rip it and I'll never keep him off of it. and he would probably rip it when I released him to fetch. I don't want to go ply wood and 2x3's as that is a lot of weight, but I would not like to take it off in September and October when I want to fish. Send me your contact info again. I remember talking to you last year but I did not record it in my outlook contacts and now I can't find it. :oops:

coldweatherfan wrote: . . . I just had my pods installed on the boat at Rudy's beer and welding and am waiting for the river to go back down - after last night and todays rain- to test it out.

Man, we need a store like that up here!! :thumbsup:

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:29 am

Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been working some long hours.

Duck-it,
if you want you can email me some pictures and I'll post them. Hope you had some luck with the turkeys. I'm itching to get out but have not had the time. None of the guys I hunt with had any luck except one in Eastern shore Virginia.

Rob,
kids will keep you busy even when they get older. You could let your daughter rope some decoys :yes: Work and the shows should keep you plenty busy. Tell some of your buddies you buried beer in that dirt they should move a good amount for you. I would like to change the cover on my blind from fast grass to a 3 dimensional rock pattern or maybe a brush pile. Just don't know what I might need till I get my blind sites. I would also like to build a layout boat but I don't think I'll have the time.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:37 am

Mikeguard01 wrote:.... I would also like to build a layout boat but I don't think I'll have the time.

Mike

I have a 12' jon that I just removed the center seat. The dog can sit between the tansom and the back seat and I might make a flat cover for it. I can use it for short runs or open water hunting after pulling it with my motored Jon boat. I got the boat for free. My buddy had it laying by a creek on the farm and put a .22 through it. I said "I'll try and fix that and put it to use." after he said he would just scrap it.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:58 am

Rob,

Sounds like a good plan. You gotta love a boat for free. Just think how many decoys you could bring out.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:43 am

Duck-it,

Here's your picture. Bluebills look great.

Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:45 am

Duck-it,

I forgot to ask how was the turkey hunting and Rockfishing?

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Duck-it » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 am

I just sent you a mess of pics. Boat, dogs, dekes, turkey and my buddies turkey. We killed them both within 10yrds and 1 hr from each other We only caught one fish, 38" long. It was a little rough on Sunday. 3-4 rollers.
Duck-it
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting