catfishing

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

catfishing

Postby Ichabod » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:48 pm

:help: I'm just looking for some info on catfishing the patuxent and/or potomac rivers. :help:

I told my father in law we would do some fishing this coming weekend and i was think the patuxent river would be easier. (Less pleasure boaters) I would be putting in at benedict on the patuxent and marshall hall or small wood or goose bay or friend ship on the potomac river. I havent done any catfishing in maryland since I moved here. Any helpfull advice would be great.
Ichabod
hunter

Postby duckhntr83 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:31 pm

I haven't made it to the Potomac this year yet but didn't have much luck this year on the Patuxent. I am up by the base though. I went catfishing alot last year on the Potomac and caught a good amount of catfish but not real big ones. I mainly went by the a bit north of the 301 bridge. I have heard shad works pretty good and we used minnows.
U.S. Navy-Aviation Ordnanceman
Delta Waterfowl
Ducks Unlimited
NRA
duckhntr83
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:11 am

Chum, works great if you can get it out early and the nastier the better. I have seen guys tat use corn rotting in 5 gallon bucket fermented with a quart of malt liquor. My God that stuff could make you puke, but it draws the Cats! Don't spill it on anything because the smell will not come out. A dog food can with holes punched in it is about a good a chum as any and they will come your way to investigate if you have the time to wait.

Fishing at night or day? Cat's bite great rights after dark up through midnight and beyond.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ichabod » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks for the info.

I will probably be heading out in the early AM or about mid after noon around 3 ish. it all depends on my father in law. From the sounds of it will probably go to the potom. I will put in at goose bay marina. its just north of the 301 bridge and its close to the house.

thanks again

Ill let yall know how we do.
Ichabod
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Bryan,
Glad to see your back. Hope your trip went well. Good luck on the cats. I have not fished for them in years. We used night crawlers, cheese or cut bait. The cut bait did great for the larger ones. I think the state record for catfish was just broken this year. They have it in Bass Pro tank. A little over 60 lbs. Let us know how you did.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Ichabod » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:46 pm

I've been back for awhile now. Jus t been buisy w/work and taking care of the house. You know the hole "honey do list" along with the things I've been wanting to take care of. As for the trip it was horrible I will not be vollunteering for that again.... :thumbsdown: ...would have rather been back in Iraq.

I didnt get to go fishing this past weekend after all. Had to go to NC to the in laws house to fix there truck. so the trip has been rescheduled. But when I go ill see if I can post some pics of the fish if we catch any at all.
Ichabod
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Sorry about the horrible trip at least it was tax free.The past 2 weeks all I have been doing is working some long hours. I finally had off Monday and took my daughter and niece crabbing in the heat. Got a late start I was so tired the alarm didn't even wake me. We managed close to a bushel :thumbsup: but really had to work for it. Starting work on the money pit this weekend :thumbsdown: that will take up most of my time. Good luck this weekend.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting