Heaters Island WMA

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Heaters Island WMA

Postby peteyg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:37 am

Has anyone gone out there? I'm going to go scout the island this August, and I was wondering if navigating out there is easy enough (i.e., is the path there full of boulders, any pitfalls or problems to watch for - is the water high enough)? I have an aluminum boat and don't want to cave it in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the pooch and I are always looking for someone interested in hunting. Let me know if interested come this season.

Thanks.

Pete
peteyg
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:00 am

Your going to need a MD resident with you, unless your ON the island. If you hunt from the boat you have to have a MD resident but not on the WMA as far as I know.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby peteyg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:24 am

Thank you. I realize that. I was planning on just going there by boat and hunting from the land. Any insight on the route there?
peteyg

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:08 am

I do not hunt or fish down that way. I can't help too much and I don't know who does hunt down there. You might just have to scout it now with the water low. I am not even sure what ramp you would launch from to get there.

Sorry
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:35 pm

ive hunted around it by kayak, it gets some pretty heavy hunting pressure, the path to it isnt bad, normally the water was high enough but i only hunted it in the late season. early season might be a little low, scout it out. if you need a MD resident with you keep me posted, im at PSU for at least this fall but i will be making trips home to middletown which is right outside frederick.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby hopkins11 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 am

I'm not familiar with the area, but I live in Baltimore and would be happy to come along as well. I'm always looking for new hunting buddies!
:smile:
hopkins11
hunter

Postby msmall » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:33 am

There is a boat launch on the Virginia side that is pretty decent, just cross the Rt. 15 bridge and its down to the right. I have put in there and stayed close to the Virginia shoreline with no problems. But when I went the water was up, I'm not sure how it would be when the water drops. I may try it again here in a couple of weeks. I'm still learning the river but from time to time I get out there and hunt.
msmall
hunter

Postby peteyg » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:19 am

Great. Thanks. I'm going to head out to scout it in the beginning of August. I'll keep you posted.
peteyg

Postby jumping jasper » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:02 pm

I am very familiar with that island. It is all mature hardwoods along the banks. I have gone by there many times this summer fishing. I have seen only a few wood ducks there. The VA side of the river which is private has geese along the banks because the cows which have access to the river have kept the vegetation down.

If you are using a prop there are some rocks and ledges to watch for, especially if you are going out in the dark. Pick your chute around the middle of the first ledge south of the bridge.

I have spoken wit some people who have hunted there; none had much luck. If the conditions were right you might get some shooting
jumping jasper
hunter

Postby peteyg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:19 am

Thank you.
peteyg

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting