new hunter md ducks

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

new hunter md ducks

Postby remington581 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:33 pm

hello new to forum lookin for any recommandations on where and who to use for a paid guide hunt set up , I am deer hunter 25 years ' none for waterbirds and have 12 year old son who hunts also . we will need almost every thing,will purchase all gear required ahead of time , but lookin for easy going guide /instructor with a place to hunt safely. groups ,hunt clubs, business etc . for day or more hunts .not lookin for rich man hunt setup. in the maryland chesapeake region.
remington581
Newb

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:15 am

First off :welcome:

I have never used a guide so I can't give you any good information. As far as gear that depends on what type of waterfowl hunting you intend to do (water or field). If your using a guide all you need is clothing, shells and a shotgun capable of shooting steel shot. Someone on this forum should be able to point you in the right direction.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby dekeburt » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:59 pm

I've had a few guides on the eastern shore with mixed results. A couple of them were really good and provided good service, but one in particular was rather disappointing. I stayed at Grayson Chesser's in chincoteage, and that was a good experience, but a little more costly than your average day trip.
I don't recall the names of the others, with the exception of a fella by the name of Mark out of either Chincoteague or Assateague. His "guide" service consisted of a boat ride and a spot to sit. He dropped us off and handed us a bag of about 6 or 8 decoys and pointed in the direction of a "blind" that didn't hide the ground it sat on. Then he came back to pick us up when we were done. His ferry service cost the same as a guide who sets up decoys and calls for you all day. So, just be sure to ask what exactly the guide service covers when you call around.
dekeburt
hunter

Postby hopkins11 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:55 am

I've used Canadian Prarie Outfitters, which is in Easton and owned by Mitch Hughes. We had a good time and got into some ducks. They also guide for geese if that's what you are after.

Good Times!
hopkins11
hunter

Postby duk_hunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:02 am

Each January my Dad and a couple of hunting buddies come up from GA for an Eastern Shore Hunt. For the past 3 years (this will be year 4) we've used Bo Kennedy of Fly By Island with great results for service and birds.
duk_hunter
hunter

Postby drewsmith » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:20 am

Guided duck hunts are tough. The birds are so weather dependent that it is difficult to have consistant hunting. One of the places that seems to have very good duck hunting and get's lot's of good referals is Quaker Neck Gun Club. Look up Tyler Johnson at the Maryland Outfitters and Guides Association website. It is expensive, but the habitat is second to none. It costs a bit more but it is well worth it. There are many good guys for Canada Goose Hunting, I would call Bobby Burris at 302-528-1977. He has a few large Farms in Langford and a top notch Water Blind and he does very well. He is a very hard working guy. For Snow Geese, I would use Jerry Kucharski, Del Bay Guide Service. Hunts MD and DE, does about 100 parties a year. He is another hard working guy and very fun.

If you are interested in a hunting club with good properties and a nice group of guys: www.delmarwaterfowl.com I run this club and it does not cost much more than a few guided hunts. The club furnishes all the decoys, equipment and there is lodging. Kids join for free and it is a safe ethical group that gets along very well.
drewsmith
hunter

Postby Weber » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Drew,
that looks like a really nice hunting club you have there. I think the prices are a little high for the average family man, but I guess that keeps some people out.
Weber
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting