Blind for Tracker Grizzly

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Blind for Tracker Grizzly

Postby peteyg » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:16 pm

I just built a blind for my 14' Tracker Grizzly. I wanted a really cheap, and really easy to build blind for the boat. It has a pretty wide V shape from bow to stern, so most of the prefabs either didn't seem to make sense, or were way to expensive . . . like $500 +.

The entire build took one day. I used carriage bolts to run along the grooves in the rails and used pvc pipe to make a frame. I cut the pipe to size and used some drywall screws on top to hang the material. I bought the camo from BassPro and zip tied together.

I'm going to paint the pipe brown tomorrow. Some mat finish brown spray paint sould do the job.

Here's a pic pre paint.

All supplies (minus paint) cost $120.

Let me know if you'd like some inside shots or more explanation to help you build.

PeteImage
There's something about the outside of a dog that's good for the inside of a man.
peteyg
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby mplhunter » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Looks nice good job :thumbsup:
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:39 am

Get some raffia and tie bundles of grass in various areas to break it up and look like less of a brown blob.

You'll be amazed at the difference. You don't need a lot, just step back and keep looking at it from 20 yards or more. The birds never get that close and if they do they are dead. :thumbsup:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby peteyg » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:56 am

Do you think I should just tie it off to hang from the top?
There's something about the outside of a dog that's good for the inside of a man.
peteyg

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:14 am

I can not tell what fabric you used. It looks like the die cut stuff from Walmart or ****'s, which I do not recommend. The fiirst time that catches on something it's going to rip.

I would tie 1' clumps in various places. Stuff that is too long gets all crimped up when folded and blows too much in the wind. More and shorter is better.

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:15 am

Do you have it tied down at the gunwals?

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby peteyg » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:31 am

It's the Max 4HD Hunters Speciality that I bought from Bass Pro Shops.

It's tied at top on the PVC poles and the same on the bottom.
peteyg

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:23 am

Be easy on the PVC when it's cold.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Looks good I would add the grass like Rob suggested. My first blind was made with PVC pipe last 2 seasons. I had a few pieces break when the weather was below freezing. After have to prop it up with what ever I could find I changed over to electrical conduit.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting