Walk-in Waterfowling

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Walk-in Waterfowling

Postby dekeburt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:19 am

I'm pretty new to the area and this will be my first season hunting w/o a guide. I don't have a boat or canoe or a dog, but I do have some decoys and some waders. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for public land where I can do some decent walk-in hunting and make do with waders. Someone recommended checking out Deal Island WMA, which I might try this Saturday, and I saw that there are some greentree reservoir areas on the DNR website. Any other recommendations?
How about fields for geese? I have seen on some satellite images that some of the state WMAs have fields, but I don't know if those are restricted or by lottery or what. Any rule of thumb?
Thanks
dekeburt
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:38 pm

In your situation I would recommend knocking on a few doors to get permission. Other than that maybe join a hunting club that offers waterfowl hunting.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Public Land

Postby roger5828 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Check out the DNR public sites. There are some off North Point State Park you may be able to wade under the right conditions. See below:

Description of North Point Waterfowl Blind Sites

Site #12 This site is just north of Shallow Creek along the shore of North Point State Park. The water is very shallow and there are some reeds and bushes for cover. Depending upon the weather this site offers little cover from the wind and waves. Hunters should use caution and watch the weather carefully.

Site #13 This site is at the end Ferry Grove Pier at the sunken barges. Hunters using this site will either need to use a camouflaged boat or some hunters prefer to tie up behind the sunken barges and sit or lay down on the barges to hunt. Depending upon the weather this site offers little cover from the wind and waves. Hunters should use caution and watch the weather carefully.

Site #14 This site is north of Ferry Grove Pier along the shore of North Point State Park. There are reeds available for cover at this site. Depending upon the weather this site offers little cover from the wind and waves. Hunters should use caution and watch the weather carefully.
roger5828
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting