Opening Day

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Opening Day

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Ok who's going out this weekend? I should be getting out despite my crappy blind sites this year. Don't forget to post some pics (that means you Rob :biggrin: ). Looks like the weather is going to cool back down this weekend :thumbsup:

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:40 am

Not sure if I can get out in the morning. More school stuff going on, maybe in the afternoon, but most spots i hunt are not good afternoon spots.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MDcanvasback2189 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:32 pm

ill be out, down near still pond area
MDcanvasback2189
hunter

Postby coldweatherfan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Not going out (on the upper Potomac) on Saturday but will be heading down to the Shore on Sunday afternoon to hit some of the islands on the lower Shore Monday and Tuesday.
Upper Potomac offers more of the same this year as last.... too many warm weather "hunters", few ducks and no manners!
Swamps are about as low as the early season duck count, weeds are everywhere and water is way down - should make for some interesting experiences on Saturday morning!
Be safe and have some fun in the process.
See you guys on the upper part of the river when the weather turns....
coldweatherfan
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Good Luck to everyone going out.
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby peteyg » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:53 am

I reserved a blind at Court House Point. Never hunted there before. . . but I have high hopes. :biggrin:
There's something about the outside of a dog that's good for the inside of a man.
peteyg
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby twg67 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:42 pm

I'll be hitting the Potomac with my 10 yr old for his first duck hunt :thumbsup:
twg67
hunter

Upper Potomac

Postby duckbuster08 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:09 pm

The upper Potomac was a mess today, I have been gunning some of the area for two years and this is the worst I have seen the grass and also there seem low numbers of birds.

Maybe it was just me but I arrived to a spot that I tend to hunt at 315am and there was already a boat in the little cubby that is a hidings spot fo a boat blind. I give up unless there are an influx of the number of birds for this season I dont think I will continue to gun on the upper Potomac.
Good luck to every one.
Let em get closer
duckbuster08
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Slice and I hit the upper Potomac, few other boats but everyone kept their distance and there were no issues. Lots of ducks flying lots of shooting. Our setup wasn't the best so we didn't do as well as some of the other boats but we still left with some birds.

Looking forward to getting out again next weekend to see if we can tweek some things and do a little better.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:58 am

Lefty26 wrote:Slice and I hit the upper Potomac, few other boats but everyone kept their distance and there were no issues. Lots of ducks flying lots of shooting. Our setup wasn't the best so we didn't do as well as some of the other boats but we still left with some birds.

Looking forward to getting out again next weekend to see if we can tweek some things and do a little better.

Any pics? I was out on Friday morning, and we got a few birds...one really nice drake golden eye....we then went out and shot 5 grouse....It was a good day in northern MN....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:33 pm

We didn't take any pics. It was a marathon weekend and by the time we got done hunting Sat morning all I wanted to do is go to bed.

We both ML hunted on Thurs for whitetails. Then we got in the truck and drove down to the eastern shore to sika hunt on Friday. Sika hunted most of the day Friday and then drove back home to get a few hours of sleep and then head out to duck hunt.

Fun times but it wore me out. I will post some pictures when we get into them next weekend. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Lefty26
hunter

Patuxent

Postby dekeburt » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:43 pm

I went out on a creek off of the Patuxent on the Charles county/ PG County line. I heard a bunch of shooting just after dawn a little north of us, but we didn't see any ducks. Tons and tons of geese, though. Too bad they aren't in season....
dekeburt
hunter

Postby peteyg » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:22 pm

I literally had geese landing in my spread. Frustrating. I saw 3 ducks the entire time. All landed about 150-200 yards past my decoys. I needed a better choke I think. :biggrin:

I'm having a tough season so far. This time around only duck season, and I'm swarmed with geese. early goose season I had 4 ducks simultaneously land 10 yards in front of my blind opening day.

I expect that in Nov when it's combined I'll see turkey and nothing else. If things don't improve I'm pigeon and sparrow.
There's something about the outside of a dog that's good for the inside of a man.
peteyg
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Went out this evening in the wind. Saw 3 ducks that had somewhere else to go. We had a few flocks of geese do a fly by. Ended the day with zip. I still had a good time.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby lockedup » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:53 am

did anyone go out for the last day? We ended up filling our limit
lockedup
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Slice and I hunted the last day. Spent the entire morning covered in black ducks. It was very frustrating. Slice ended up taking a black mallard X, Basically had a drake mallard head with a black duck body. Had a couple of woodies buzz us.

Did see a few mallards but not many. Can't wait until the late season.
Lefty26
hunter

Skipped early season

Postby roger5828 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:20 am

A couple of us skipped early season here in MD and headed to SD. It was definitely worth the trip. Over 50 ducks and 11 different species. We also shot some pheasant just to round out the week. If anybody is thinking of making that trip I would highly recommend it but don't bother hiring a guide. We freelanced and did just fine!!!
roger5828
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Nice bunch of birds.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting