clear or rainy

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

clear or rainy

Postby KCGoosehunter9 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Are clear or rainy better for duck to fly and want a food source? Are overcast days better than clear?
KCGoosehunter9
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:24 pm

in my experience i hunt flood plains and flooded fields for ducks in the rain, brings out more bugs and worms out of the ground and the ducks like them more, turns the corn on the ground a little soggy for em too. not to mention with rivers the water gets too fast for them to be able to dive under and get food. on clear days they can see into the water better to find food sources, the water isnt as churned up. they also wont fly quite as much in the rain, they will hunker down and just swim around for food unless there isnt any close in which case theyll fly for some. as far as overcast or clear, i think that only helps the hunter, overcast you can look everywhere in the sky and any camo inconsistencies are a little better hidden and they cant bust you as easy. clear days you have the issue of birds coming at you in the sun, but they seem to fly a little more on nice days too. In any case, ill hunt in any weather except for reallllly windy days, but even then, ill go hunt areas that are protected from the wind and current and thats where they like to go
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby lockedup » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:57 am

i found that overcast with a misty type of rain will get them moving like nothing else. I hunted this past sat when we had all that rain come through, that was pretty good movment, overall. But you def have better chances on crappy days
lockedup
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:17 pm

This is just my opinion based on blind sites. Traditionally most guys will say rainy days. I have noticed that when I hunt puddle ducks I seem to do better on sunny days. Divers the nastier the weather the better. Some guys say sunny days are better for concealment with more shadows to hide in. Windy days seem to get the birds moving more unless it's extremely strong winds then they hunker down in calmer waters. Then also location plays into the weather game also.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby DrakesOnly » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:58 am

lockedup Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:57 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i found that overcast with a misty type of rain will get them moving like nothing else. I hunted this past sat when we had all that rain come through, that was pretty good movment, overall. But you def have better chances on crappy days

Couldn't agree more. I hunted Sat the 25th down there too and it was ridiculous. Three of us got our limit and we could've gotten another one.
What a man will do for a duck...
DrakesOnly
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting