Late season is almost hear

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Late season is almost hear

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:18 am

The 2nd split is almost here and duck starts this Sat and Goose next Sat. I should have off on the 11/14 - 11/28 and 12/16 - 12/31.

I have not been able to hunt much before this but hunting season is about to start for me. Darrin, lefty, slice and coldweatherfan are you all ready for the late season? All the deer guys are out of the fields and water and focused on deer.

I'm ready. :banana: Who else is?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby peteyg » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:10 am

Can't wait to get out on Saturday. I'm hoping to sneak out during the week next week as well. :biggrin:
There's something about the outside of a dog that's good for the inside of a man.
peteyg
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Lefty26 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:06 am

Yeah I can't for some colder weather and some serious duck and goose action.

I am off 11/5-11/17 and then 12/22-12/29. We may have to hook up for a weekday hunt.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby slicendice » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 am

We'll be out Saturday. I'm hoping to possibly have my son with me for his first ever hunt.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby ma00021 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:15 am

guys,

I'm new to the area - grew up on the Eastern Shore & hunted all my life. I've been looking into hunting the upper Potomac and it sounds like that's where you guys spend a lot of time. But it also sounds like there can be a lot of guys who don't know what they're doing or have any edicate crowding the water. What time do you typically have to be setting up to get a good spot on Saturdays. Any other advice? I'm going to be hunting mostly around the Seneca/Edwards Ferry area. Thanks.
ma00021
Newb

Postby dsabol » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:14 pm

I'm out of town this weekend-- family stuff. I'm ready to get after some after that.
dsabol
Newb

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:07 pm

I'm off next week and plan to hunt. Then back to work for a week then off the next. I see the weather is warming up again. I have not seen many birds but a day in the blind just shooting the bull is better than staying home or working.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Duck-it » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:49 am

I will be out and about Sat morning, then on Sunday I'm heading to Pike County, Ill. for a week, to do some big buck hunting. Kinda splitting my time between the ducks and deer.
Good luck to everyone.
Duck-it
hunter

middle split

Postby coldweatherfan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:26 am

Not going out on Saturday.... but will be going out during the week.
From what I have seen (or not seen) not much has moved down to us yet.
Just a prelude to the real season... December and January.
So what do you think - if the river stays like this and we get some freezing temps?
coldweatherfan
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:49 am

MA, I don't hunt that area on that far east. I can't help there. :smile:

I know where a bunch of Black ducks are and where they go. Been here all year. DNR says the black duck population is low in MD but I must know where 1/2 of them are in the state. :yes: :rofl: last year I saw so many in one flock i was afraid to shoot. I was sure I'd drop 2 or 3. :rofl:

I got to do some scouting and dig up some ponds.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:21 pm

Cupped,

We must be hunting the same area because we had to pass on a bunch of black ducks in the early season.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 am

Slice, give me a call when you are free.

I don't think the same birds from the roost I know are hitting the area you are going to. Watch those birds at sunset and they will track off the river to a stream and follow that stream to a pond some where. I am not going to sound out here where I think you are hunting. I'll talk to you on the phone.

Good news, water is likely to raise the river levels next week. let's hope for slow consistent rain.
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/21713?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Rain Tuesday thru Saturday next week.

With water at this level the best boat motion is going to be a man is wader pulling a boat over rock ridges. :no:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting