sea duck hunting group!!

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

sea duck hunting group!!

Postby masterbaiter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:51 am

Having been doing this sea duck thing for the past five years, i have noticed that the more hunting activity the more the birds move the more shooting everyone gets. was wondering if anyone was interested in an informal get together ie bar and discuss setting up a hunt where a group of us cover an area. this appeals to me because it will keep the birds moving and if anyone has a problem help would be there. let me know what you think.
dont piss down my back and tell me its raining....
masterbaiter
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:18 pm

That sounds like a good plan. I just wish I had a bigger boat I could sea duck hunt out of.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby msmall » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:30 pm

With that being said .... What would you guys say is the minimum size boat that you would use on the bay to hunt sea ducks? I have a Tracker Grizzly 1648, yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke, with the Cabelas northern flight blind but because it has a short transom I dont think it would be a good boat for the bay...
msmall
hunter

Postby mplhunter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:05 pm

I love sea ducking I have a 20-27 sea ark and last year I shot the crap out of them. I also took a few people out from this site and hooked a few up with others. I have been out 4 times on the bay this year and we (the boat) have killed 32 ducks out on the bay. Late season is getting close and that is when the ducks start coming down. On the last day of the second lag of duck the blue bills and scoters started coming down we got a few. Let me know. I would be up for it and I got two other people with boats would be up for it. The one person has a few lay out boats.

Talk to you all soon.

Matt
:thumbsup:
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:29 am

I personally would not take a flat bottom boat 400 to 800 yards off shore.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mfetter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 am

I would have to agree. You are not going to want to be in the middle of the bay ina flat bottom. I went in a mod-V once and that was not enough.--Scary in hind sight--After that trip I went and bought and Deep-V 19ft.

I would be up for doing a shoot after the 1st of the year.
If you cant find the duck you hit find someone with a DD.
mfetter
hunter

sea ducks

Postby masterbaiter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:58 am

i have a 18' lowe with an 80 hp yamaha 4 stroke, it is a mod v and i have no problems in weather with 2-3 footers. any bigger and i get out. i have noticed the bay and chester river mouth is always calmer than you would think. there are no boat wakes like there is in the summer. i think you will be surprised when you get ou there.
also if we team up to cover an area, we will have help close. i will be off rock hall on saturday saw some scoters last week. call on vhf 16 masterbaiter. craig pm me and i'll give you my cell
masterbaiter
hunter

Postby msmall » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:07 am

Think I'll keep my eyes open for a TDB or some thing similar before I brave the bay. Been swimming in the winter because of a boating accident so I dont wish to repeat it. Thanks.
msmall
hunter

Postby Tracker Grizzley » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:29 pm

I was wondering what you guys opinion is on a 24ft carolina skiff...The DLX edition and it is mostly a flat bottom...Just looking for some feedback...

Thanks Tracker
Tracker Grizzley
hunter

Postby mfetter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:21 pm

by going with the 24' you are adding the length needed to get out of the rough days, but you are leaving out the more important part--This being the V. With even a mod V you are very low to the water and where this is unnoticable during fishing, normal boating when the wind picks up and the ducks start arriving in late jan the last thing you want or can afford to have happen is to take a wave over the bow.

I found a deep V 19' Alum for 350.00 on craigslist. It took me a few months during the summer, but it can hold more decoys than I would want to put out, 3 people, gear, a dog and when the wind begins to blow I dont have to risk life and limb getting back.
mfetter
hunter

get together

Postby masterbaiter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:02 am

i was looking at the calender and was thinking 01/17/09 for a trip
out with a group of us. we can figure where the birds are hanging. i will start a new thread so we know who's in. and discuss pretrip activities.
masterbaiter
hunter

Postby mfetter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:06 am

Sounds good to me!!!
mfetter
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting