canvasbacks

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter

canvasbacks

Postby ray » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:23 pm

Anybody willing to give me info on possible can spots/areas. I'm not looking for your spot but the general area would be of greate help. I'm willing to give up some good areas for puddlers or sea ducks from the berkshires/western/or the coastal areas of mass.
ray
hunter

got cans?

Postby kial » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:01 pm

ray,
not sure that cans fly this way. i can hook tell you exactly where to hunt late season divers on lake erie if you are interested. i may even be able to hook you up with my brother who is out that way.

b
kial
hunter

cans

Postby ray » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:23 pm

Kial,

we do have divers cans/blue bills i've shot both in Rhode Island but I do not hunt out of state anymore. I'm sure they pass through. I'll have to work harder at finding them.
ray
hunter

divers

Postby kial » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:06 pm

Ray,
Let me know if you find them. I have most of my set up for divers from Lake Erie hunting-- big spread. I'll be there. Depending on the weather, I would not expect to see them until the second half of the regular season. On Lake Erie, the Cans come in infront of big snow and decoy like crazy in between the squalls.

Kial
kial
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:56 pm

there is no place here in the Northeast where you can set up and be confident that you will score on divers.

There are no significant populations of scaup, redheads, cans, ringnecks or goldeneyes.....at least I have never found any in my 30 years of hunting all of New England.

I know that is a strong comment, but the only time you could count on scaup was many years ago on Long Island Sound....CT used to have an extended duck season just for Bluebills. Those times are long past.

There could be some pockets that will hold a flock or two for a week or two, but there is nothing consistent.....except bufflehead.

The only cans I shot in New England were at the mouth of the Housatonic in CT. We get some 'Bills up in NH on Great Bay occaisionally, as with along the eastern CT coastline. I only shot one redhead on the CT River in Enfield which was a rarity.

I would love to find an action spot for divers close to home though.....I would get the intended use out of the MLB then!!!! Although it is great for eider, puddlers and geese.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting