Duckman in training/waiting Help the kid

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

Duckman in training/waiting Help the kid

Postby Eschutz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:58 am

Hey Guys-

Just joined your wonderful web world last night. Love the info, comments, and Water Fowling spirit. I think it's a great place for a young guy like my self to hook-up with the Ole' Massas' and step my game up - right now it's lacking!!

I like many of you have the disease! Caught it at the end of last season and I'm terminal!

Was able to, by mostly luck, bag some sea ducks of Duxbury beach in the late season, I live and grew up in Hingham. I'm trying to get all tuned in for this season and be ready to go, yeah I know I’m getting a late start, but I’m thinking of it in 90 degree heat, so I have the making of a young duck man!

I would really like to get an idea of some places to scout out in the South Shore, where I might bag some Mallards or other puddlers. I've hunted upland most of my life, and think that Myles Standish has potential but it's not really a place I can scout after work...

Was thinking about Trip Hammer pond/Wompatuck State park in Hingham. Any other thoughts or advise? Please barrage me with any and all info that you think a Newbie like me might benefit from.

Anybody have any experience at Duxbury beach in the early season? I'd imagine that there's a decent Mallard population held up there during the early migration, but I never was around to check.
I look forward to your responses and hope to catch some of you in the blind! Best and Happy Pre-Season -Erich S.
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Re: Duckman in training/waiting Help the kid

Postby Inkspot » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Keep scouting.
Collector of antique bottles.
Inkspot
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 pm

No doubt, thanks!

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Seriously go scouting. :rolleyes:
Starting August, I will begin scouting 3 hrs a week, increasing my time up to 5-6hrs as the seasons gets closer.
I spend about 1/2 my time at spots I know, becoming more aware of those locations until I know them 100%. The other 1/2 of my time, i spend driving around where I think there might be ducks
Last edited by 20bolt on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support Conservation Efforts
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Postby JDiPerrio » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Welcome aboard, I made a couple blinds so far that I know will produce but once mid august ans sept. roll around scouting is all Ill be doing. Google earth can be your best friend.
2010 totals
Geese- 70
Mallards-24
Pintail-1
Teal-8
Woodies-9
Ringneck-1
JDiPerrio
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 am

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it. Especially the time frames; I'll use that as a my goal during the preseason.

I'm so glad I saved most all my vacation time for the season!

Please keep the feedback/advice coming guys.

On another note, I'm looking at 870's and was leaning towards a supermag, figure I'll have this gun for the rest of my life... Any thoughts? I figure it's a no brainer, but it's a little more $, so I thought I'd ask. I've been a one gun 1100 guy since I was a kid, but she's too pretty (& not a pump) for the blind!

Best,

ES

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:19 am

:welcome:

First of all, be careful of 20Bolt and JDiperrio. They both have an uncurable and rare disease of Waterfowlitis, it causes them to think about waterfowl 24/7. They actually get together over the summer and glue feathers on eachother and blow their duck and goose calls in the lake. :lol3: :lol3:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:15 am

Noted, stay as close to them without actually having them "pin the tail on Erich," got it!

I think I may have a less serious mutated version of said disease. Anytime I see something fly past the water in front of my folks house I start blowing a call. It's awesome to see the reaction of my neighbors and dog walkers.

Apparently they moved to Hingham to avoid Red Necks, but find themselves living next to my father and I, oopps.

Cheers!

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby Tim D » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:37 pm

Welcome aboard Eschutz

There is a welth of knowledge on this web site there are some great hard core guys who love to duck hunt , so don't be shy pm them or just post up these guys spend a couple days out in the feild myself included :welcome: :welcome:

Tim
"Don't Hate the Player,Hate the Game."

Call'em Close ,Kill'em Clean

Ten Bears Tims"Tang"ueray

Ten Bears Tims Times are "Ruff"
Tim D
State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Welcome :beer:

The folks on Crow Point love the sound of shooting at daybreak:biggrin: The yuppies on Martins lane will even kayak out to you and explain all of the no hunting laws they know about and that all of the birds are federally protected etc. :lol:

I grew up in Hull and if you look around there is some good shooting close by :yes:

Trip Hammer might be tricky with the town ordinances,
Wompatuck does have a hunting zone with a few smaller bodies of water.
Myles Standish is okay but once the upland season opens you cannot shoot before sunrise because they stock birds. most of the birds fly out before sunrise. I did get a nice rooster last season who befriended my goose decoys i had setup along the shoreline.

Mike
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Eschutz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:46 am

Definetly need to see if Hingham has a no dischagre ordinace, but if you can shoot in the Harbor then... Also, my old man worked for the Harbor Dept. and was cop in town so we get a little leeway :yes:.

I'm looking forward to the yuppies!! They love it when we hang out our upland birds, every fall, on the little balcony my folks have looking over the water/street. It's alot like when I'm out there drinking a beer and calling birds in from the harbor! They just don't get it.. :beer:

I mean I could put 'em out on the back deck where no one will see but I feel like it's good for my neighbors to know where I stand on the issues, and know where not to forage in the case of world collapse.

LoL on the rooster!

I was actually at Myles about 8 weeks ago, and I came uppon a nesting black duck. It came out of the brush so fast and scarred the crap out of me, while I avoided it like Neo from the Matrix, wicked!!

I thought it was a rabbit or something cuz' it didn't make the rustling sound of an upland bird, and bang it came out. My pups went nuts! Last thing I expected. And we put up 4 hold overs in just a couple hours to boot.

Mike do you still live on the South Shore?

Thanks for the input and hope to meet you out there someday!

Best,

-ES

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Good to discharge in H-Town.

Gona talk to the Sgt. who I got my LTC from for more details though. More to follow...

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby Edbuck » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:41 am

Welcome aboard.

Probably the best advise is always have a plan B on hunting day. If you found the spot someone else probably has too and they might beat you there.

The 870 express has a $50 mail in rebate starting 8/6. I do not believe the super mag has the rebate. Buck Gardner will be at Bass Pro on 8/6 from 5-9pm. I'll be stopping by and guys like Tim D and Jackduckhunter will be there with Buck.

I'm selling most of my duck hunting stuff because I'm more involved in Retriever training now. I have a great setup for the guy getting started in this addiction.
Deep Run Midnight Desperado SH
Eider Rock's Midnight Joker MH (Qualified for 2011 Master National)
Eider Rock's Moon Dance
Edbuck
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:35 am

I ended up going with the Super Mag. Got it new from a local guy for $375 Black syn stock, Rem choke barrel etc. And he too mentioned a $30 rebate on the supers, ya-hoo, icing on the cake! My wallets a little mad at me though!!

I figured it was a great deal for a gun I’ll have forever.

On a seperate note, can anyone recommend a good honker call for a newb like myself?

Thanks guys!

TSA '11-'12
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby NE Cornfed » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Eschutz,

I'm a younger guy and fairly new to the game as well (about 2-3 seasons under my belt). I love the 870, especially in supermag, a good day of gunning and you'll have the bruise to prove it! I used to hang around the South Shore (namely Hull and Hingham) quite a bit when I was in college, but live out in Worcester now. Like these guys said, there a truly a ton of resources on here, I've learned a ton in just about a year or so since being on here. If you ever want to get out, let me know, I will go just about ANYWHERE for a good day of gunning. Good Luck this yr.

On another note, Edbuck, where do you do retriever training out of? My big ole' block head is going out to stud for the first time in December and I would love to get that pick of the litter on the right track right out of the gate.
NE Cornfed
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:05 pm

have you ever wished you could travel back into time and do things a little differently? i sure have.

:bump: :moon: :fingerpt: :nana:
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Brings a tear to my eye. Seems like just yesterday he was pm'ing me on where to find black ducks.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting