Recipes

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Re: Recipes

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Leakey, you just made me hungry, those look great.
Last edited by Baymen Moe on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby spider316 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 pm

What I call Mallard Melody. Take your puddle duck breast and depending on the size, cut them in half or 3rds and marinade for 24 hrs min or more if you would like in an Italian dressing, please feel free to dress it up if you would like, I do. Now butterfly filet the breast pieces almost in half but not all the way through, open it and put some sliced Jalapeno pepper, a wad of creme cheese and close it, wrap it with a couple of slices of bacon both ways so the creme cheese and peppers dont escape, and spear it together with a tooth pick. I only cook over charcoal when I grill, so if you do these over a gas fire, your on your own.I cook them to a medium done and the cheese is just starting to ooze out.

I dress up my marinade with anything like BBQ sauce,Teriyaki sauce,Catalina dressing what ever you think will be good grilled.
I use fresh jalapeno peppers when I can get them from the local market, if not I use the ones in a bottle that are pre-packed by B & G from the local Big Y.
I use flavored creme cheeses' like garden veggie,chive, or even a fruit variety.
The bacons I use are often smoked at/from the local butcher shop in a variety of different woods for different flavors.
With charcoal I can put the cover on to control the temp and any flame, If you use gas make sure you have a spray water bottle ready to be deployed.Enjoy everybuggy, as my children would say.
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 pm

spider316 wrote:What I call Mallard Melody. Take your puddle duck breast and depending on the size, cut them in half or 3rds and marinade for 24 hrs min or more if you would like in an Italian dressing, please feel free to dress it up if you would like, I do. Now butterfly filet the breast pieces almost in half but not all the way through, open it and put some sliced Jalapeno pepper, a wad of creme cheese and close it, wrap it with a couple of slices of bacon both ways so the creme cheese and peppers dont escape, and spear it together with a tooth pick. I only cook over charcoal when I grill, so if you do these over a gas fire, your on your own.I cook them to a medium done and the cheese is just starting to ooze out.

I dress up my marinade with anything like BBQ sauce,Teriyaki sauce,Catalina dressing what ever you think will be good grilled.
I use fresh jalapeno peppers when I can get them from the local market, if not I use the ones in a bottle that are pre-packed by B & G from the local Big Y.
I use flavored creme cheeses' like garden veggie,chive, or even a fruit variety.
The bacons I use are often smoked at/from the local butcher shop in a variety of different woods for different flavors.
With charcoal I can put the cover on to control the temp and any flame, If you use gas make sure you have a spray water bottle ready to be deployed.Enjoy everybuggy, as my children would say.

This with A1 Cajun sauce as the marinate is very good!
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:03 am

I think that Buffleheads get a bad rap as far as their palatability. I shot a few the other day, took them home and they were absolutely delicious. this is how i cooked them:

*lay out your Bufflehead breasts on top of a sheet of plastic wrap.

*season them both sides with a little kosher salt (kosher salt is shavings of salt so it sticks to meat better), black pepper, and garlic powder (lots of it).

*fold the plastic wrap over the seasoned Bufflehead breasts. use a meat tenderizer (or in my case an empty sierra bottle) and pound the breasts on both sides.

*throw the breasts on a hot iron skillet with a little bacon grease and cook for 3 minutes per side. They should be a little pink on the inside and will be tender and delicious.

:drool:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks for sharing Leakey! I dont mind grilling a buffie or 2 every now and then. Fresh ginger & soy in small amounts works wonders too.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JTR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:50 pm

I made a really easy crock pot goose stew the other day. It was good enough that I played it off as beef stew to unsuspecting taste testers and they all bought it. A guy that I was shooting the crap with the other day told me that they used to par-boil and stew their sea ducks. This recipe was good enough that I am seriously considering eider stew. Here it is:

- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Mix those three ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

- Breast and leg meat from one goose (about 2 pounds) - cut into 1/2-1" cubes
- One large onion, diced
- 2-4 potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- one bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons of worcestershire or A-1, depending on your own taste
- two 14.5 ounce cans of College Inn beef broth (I'm brand loyal to College Inn canned stock. I swear it makes a difference :rolleyes: )

Place the goose meat in the crock pot. Pour the flour mixture over the meat, stir and make sure that all of the meat is coated. Then add the rest of the ingredients and pour in the beef broth. Turn the crock pot on low and cook for 8-12 hours. Serve over buttered egg noodles or whatever else you want. This would be great if you want to start before a day of hunting in the cold and come home to a warm meal.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby clevelandpwr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Seaducks of any kind have a very strong taste to them.Came up with a recipe and have had awesome results.All 4 of my kids love this recipe.Soak seaduck cubbed breast meat in sprite,drain out and change sprite every hr for 4hrs.Let sit in sprite over nite covering all meat.Next drain and add MR C's terryaki marinade.take jalepeno peppers and slice into medallions,remove all seeds if you dont want to be to hot.Next take uncooked bacon and cut into about 1inch pieces.Take tooth pic with pepper<duck meat and bacon and hold togtether with toothpick.Place on a tray in oven preheated to 400 for about a half hr.Remove and serve,just made these last nite and had over 50 made,this morning we had 5 left in a baggy.This is a great recipe for seaduck!

Jalepeno duck poppers

cubbed seaduck meat
Jalepeno peppers
MR.C's terrayki maranade
tooth picks
1lb of bacon
2liter of sprite soda
clevelandpwr
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun May 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Wild Turkey Croquettes

ingredients

3 cups of finely chopped cooked wild turkey breast meat
1/2 of a sweet onion, chopped fine
1/2 stick of butter
3/4 cup of flour
2 green onions
1 1/2 cups of milk
teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon salt
1 sleeve of saltine crackers crushed into fine powder
egg wash (2 eggs beaten with a small amount of milk)

directions

on medium heat, sautee 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped in 1/2 stick of butter until soft. drop the heat to low. then add the 3/4 cup of flour, add the salt and pepper,then stir with a fork as you slowly add the 1 1/2 cups of milk. stir continuously until it is well-mixed and has reached the consistency of whipped potatoes. take off of the heat and into a bowl. add the 3 cups of finely chopped cooked turkey breast and 2 coarsley chopped green onions. mix well in a bowl and then cool in the refrigerator for two hours. this will make the mixture set and maleable.

edit** if you want to kick up the awesome meter here, then add a handful of shredded cheddar and crumble up a few pieces of bacon and mix it in as well. insanely good

form the mixture into slightly larger than gof ball sized balls. coat with the egg wash, then roll in the saltine crumbs. then into the fryer until golden brown.

these things are delicious. try it.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

fried frogs legs

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

First off, catch a mess of frogs, skin them, and chop off their legs. Soak the frog legs in buttermilk overnight or at least a couple of hours. In a bowl, add enough flour for the amount of frogs youre frying up. Season the flour with paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. In another bowl, whisk together an egg and some milk. Drain the frogs soaking in buttermilk. Dredge them in the flour, then into the egg wash, then back into the flour. Then into the hot oil. Theyre done after 6 minutes or so. I just go by when they start floating to the top of the oil and get nice and crispy golden brown. I hit them with some salt or some Old Bay as they come out of the fryer. Dipping sauce i use is either Sri racha hot sauce or this Thai chili stuff. I suppose ketchup or BBQ would work just fine, too.
Attachments
7.16.13 frog legs.JPG
fried frog.JPG
Professor_Leakey
hunter

New England Crab and Corn Chowder

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:13 am

ingredients:

1 large onion chopped fine
1 large can of sweet corn
2-3 red potatoes chopped
12 blue crabs, picked. separate claw meat and lump meat
4 slices of smoked bacon (or more)
3/4 lb of bay scallops optional
1/2 gallon milk (substitute 1/2 and 1/2 for an even richer chowder)

directions:

add the chopped potatoes to boiling water and cook until just before done. drain and set aside. in a large skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. remove the bacon from the skillet, chop into bits, and set aside. add the chopped onion to the bacon grease and sautee until the onions get soft (you could add a little sherry at this point). in a blender, blend up real well about half the can of sweet corn until it is a mush. add the corn mush and bacon bits to the skillet with the onions. add a couple drops of liquid smoke and stir it all up. heat this up on low for 10 minutes or so. then transfer this to a large pot. slowly stir in 1/2 gallon of milk, add the chopped potatoes, add the claw meat, and heat up on low until hot. cook on low and stir often to keep the milk from curdling. when it gets up to temp i take it off the burner and put the whole pot into the fridge for at least a few hours. i always find that with chowder it gets better when you cool it down and then heat it back up. it helps all the flavors disperse. when it has cooled down put it back on the burner on a low temp. add in the bay scallops, the rest of the can of corn, and all the lump crab meat. add salt and pepper to taste. heat it on low until the potatoes and scallops are cooked through.

if you like an even thicker chowder, you can slowly stir in some instant mashed potato mix to thicken it up.
Attachments
7.7.13 crab.JPG
crab.corn chowder.JPG
Professor_Leakey
hunter

perfectly cooked goose

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:15 pm

take one goose breast, from a real fat lazy goose...and lay it on a piece of plastic wrap. cover it entirely with plastic wrap and then pound the heck out of it with an empty bottle of beer, be it harpoon, becks, or sierra, no matter, until it is nicely tenderized. then add a whole lot of chopped garlic. dust it with a little salt and pepper and then stick in the fridge in a tupperware for a day or two. fire up the grill and toss that seasoned breast on to the grill for about 5 or 6 minutes per side. serve up with some garlic mashed, love that garlic, and maybe some grilled asparagus. good eats! you gotta love it when that goose gets cooked. :beer:
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: perfectly cooked goose

Postby JTR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:08 am

Professor_Leakey wrote:take one goose breast, from a real fat lazy goose

If you can't find a fat lazy goose, TSA can help. :lol:
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

BBQ Pulled Goose

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:26 am

Take 4 Canada Goose breasts and lay them in the crock pot. Cover them up with apple cider and then run the crockpot on low for about 9 or 10 hours. Thinly chop two sweet vidalia onions and carmalize them in a skillet. Drain the cider from the crockpot and then use two forks to break up all the goose meat. It should fall apart very easily. Put the huge pile of shredded goose meat back into the empty crock pot. Put in two bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce, I used sweet baby rays. Throw in a shot of John Daniels and the carmalized onions and mix it all up. Cook it for about 30 more minutes on low or until it is hot again. Cut up some rolls and you got some easy and great sammiches. I saw this in the main recipe forum and added the onion and John Daniels and it is fantastic and soooo easy.
Attachments
Image-1.jpg
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:41 pm

I went out crabbing today and caught some blue crab. I wanted to try something different than my normal old bay steamed blue crab, so I used them in a scampi recipe. I did not go by a recipe or measure out anything, but I will give an approximate for the recipe. Can be made using any seafood, really.

Ingredients:
6 blue crab, cleaned
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup italian bread crumbs
cup of fresh chopped parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice or the juice of 1 or 2 lemons
parmesan cheese
linguine

Spray the bottom of a pyrex baking dish with pam. Then lay out the cleaned blue crab on the bottom of the pan. Pour the olive oil and lemon juice evenly over all the crab. Throw the parsley and chopped garlic on top of the crab. Cut the half stick of butter into little pieces and lay evenly on top of the crab. Evenly spread the bread crumbs over the crab.

Should look like this:

Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. When it comes out of the oven it will look like this:

Toss everything with linguine, add parmesan cheese to taste.

Professor_Leakey
hunter

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting