New to the area (North Shore)

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

New to the area (North Shore)

Postby woodsman1987 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Hey everyone.

I just moved to the area about a month ago from North Carolina. I am an avid hunter and particularly love duck hunting. I moved up here for graduate school and am living on Nahant. I am hoping to do some inland hunting as well as coastal hunting this season. Does anyone on this board live in this area and have any suggestions as to where to get started. I have read all the rules and regulations as well as scouted some areas, but would love to get input.

Looking forward to raining down on some ducks this season and sharing hunting stories here.

Also, If anyone happens to be looking for a hunting buddy, I have a variety of decoys as well a large amount of ammunition to bring to any hunt.
woodsman1987
hunter

Re: New to the area (North Shore)

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Welcome woods, there are a few of us up your way, shouldn't be long before you hear from them. I'm south of beantown.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:51 am

hey welcome to the forum. :welcome: :beer:

how long have you been in mass and have you done much hunting in tidal areas?
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:29 am

Thanks for the welcome. I have been up here almost two months. I really like the area, it just seems less hunter friendly than North Carolina. I have done a lot of tidal hunting in the salt marshes back home, but have never hunted areas with rocky shorelines and as large tides as up here.
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby jervin1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:27 am

Hey woodsman, I also recently moved to the north shore from North Carolina. I love to hunt period but duck hunting is by far my biggest passion. I left a bunch of my decoys back in NC but I do have my duck hunting boat up here. Still scouting up some places but if your interested we can get on some birds together.
jervin1
Newb

Postby woodsman1987 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Hey Jervin1,

Always nice to meet a fellow North Carolinian. Much the same as you, I love all types of hunting but ducks are my favorite. It would be awesome to get together and get after some birds this season. We should meet up over an upcoming weekend and scout some areas together. I'll send you a message with my number so we can coordinate.
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby Rockport24 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:32 am

Hey guys, I am a total newb to hunting in general, but am looking to get into some duck hunting this season. I have some ideas of where to go in this general area as well (live in Salem) would love to tag along with some experienced guys though...
Rockport24
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:36 am

3 new members, welcome aboard to all you guys :welcome:

it has been a long off season but it wont be much longer now :beer:
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 am

Rockport,

Always happy to have an additional hunting partner. Keep in touch and we should scout at some point for an early season hunt. I also just saw these things: Spectra Color Technicolor Shells. Might be a good way to add some competitiveness to bird hunting. Keep in touch.

Prof,

Thanks for the welcome. Cannot wait for the season. Need to change out my choke tubes. Checked my baby yesterday and still had my turkey choke in there. Used her to take down a bearded hen in NC this season as well as a cowboy.
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Welcome. :welcome:

Rockport is awesome! I do some freediving up there during the summer for lobster and spearing flounder. You wont find better spot for fried clams and steamers!! :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Nice to see some new hunters aboard. :welcome:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby neal537 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Not new to the area but just found the site, south shore novice here. "Lurking" and hoping to learn a few things .
neal537
Newb

Postby Rockport24 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks for the welcomes guys! kjm - nice! the striper fishing ain't bad either!
Rockport24
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:55 am

Cant shoot stripers in Ma, need to go to RI for that. You have a familiar handle, you on some other local sites? NEKF?
kjm1022
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 am

I am also on a deer hunting chat forum. I am trying to make as many connections as possible up here. Always good to meet fellow hunters. I think one of the best things about hunting in the brotherhood and camaraderie it creates. Love to post pictures and I am going to get some video this season with a go pro to share.
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby Rockport24 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:34 am

kjm1022 wrote:Cant shoot stripers in Ma, need to go to RI for that. You have a familiar handle, you on some other local sites? NEKF?

Yup, love NEKF. I recognize your handle from there as well.. You replied to my thread over there about hunting! Thanks man! we should try to get out on the kayaks and post a real "kayak hunting" report!
Rockport24
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Rockport24 wrote:
kjm1022 wrote:Cant shoot stripers in Ma, need to go to RI for that. You have a familiar handle, you on some other local sites? NEKF?

Yup, love NEKF. I recognize your handle from there as well.. You replied to my thread over there about hunting! Thanks man! we should try to get out on the kayaks and post a real "kayak hunting" report!

Absolutely man, you find a spot up there and I'll show you the ropes. :beer:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:52 pm

Sounds like a plan. A kayak hunt would be fun. Just shoot me a message when you get some time and we will coordinate a time to scout out some areas.
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Anyone interested in going scouting on Saturday morning near Plum Island. I am thinking about getting out there to try and see what water levels look like and what species I can jump, so I can get a good idea of the spread needed. Anyone has input on the best decoy spread for marshy areas early in the season?
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:17 pm

woodsman1987 wrote:. Anyone has input on the best decoy spread for marshy areas early in the season?

I would go with a small spread of mallard hens and a few drakes, throw in a pair of black ducks and you should be all set for an early season set up. As the season progresses more black ducks will work well for you.

On a side note, I saw a few flocks this morning around the salt right at sunrise. Nice to see some birds moving.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Jofa » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:15 pm

woodsman1987 wrote:Anyone interested in going scouting on Saturday morning near Plum Island. I am thinking about getting out there to try and see what water levels look like and what species I can jump, so I can get a good idea of the spread needed

Hey Woodsman,

are you going in w a boat or just going to walk in where you can? I scouted and walked in via parking area B a little bit off season - but haent hunted there yet. I've got a couple kayaks that might make my around there some day, but i'm not sure where to start either

It's pretty big country up there, I Would be interested to hear how others are tackling hunting there?
Jofa
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the decoy spread. Sounds like I am good to go with the decoys I have.

Jofa,

Unfortunately, I do not have a boat up here. I was just planning on checking out what I can access by walking. I left by boat in North Carolina, a Sea Pro, but hopefully will have it up here next year. Not much of a hunting boat but will be fun for chasing striper. I think it is supposed to be a rain event tomorrow, but regardless I may go up to Parker River and see if I can scout out some areas. Ill let you know what I see.

Best,
Chris
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Plum island has a lot of birds but i find that they get seem to get pretty skittish once you get out of the first few weeks of the seasons. In early season you should be good. The problem with walking in is the mosquito ditches. To get to area B is a good walk from the parking area and once you get there the majority of the area is surrounded by uncrossable ditches. Good area but a lot easier from a boat
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Hey guys,

Been doing a lot of deer scouting recently, so I have not been out looking for ducks much. When I was scouting up at Crane Pond, I found some nice areas. Anyone ever hunt here for ducks?
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby jfallso » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 pm

New to the site.. Woodsman i was wondering how your season wrapped up? Had a good season but was interested if anyone in the area had more variety to their bag as the unfortunate majority was black duck, they make for a long day for one shot.
Last edited by jfallso on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfallso
hunter

Next

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting