New to the area (North Shore)

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Re: New to the area (North Shore)

Postby woodsman1987 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Jfallso,

Glad to hear you had some luck this season. It was a good first season up here. I got plenty of black ducks, some mallard, a hybrid black-mallard, hoodies, and some geese. I saw some pintail and gadwall, but never got a shot off. It was certainly a challenge however. I had gotten used to hunting from boats with large spreads, so switching to jump shooting and hunting salt pans was a new and bumbling experience. I also realized quickly how spooky black ducks really are. I took a trip home over Christmas break and went out and had groups of birds, mainly bluebills, come on back round after we had taken half the flock out. We also had a rogue snow goose try and mount my buddy who was in the spread fixing the gang rig. Had to give him a minute to get away from him then took him out. You will not find any black ducks doing the same. More than anything it was just nice to get out in the marsh on Saturdays and the occasional weekday whether I shot ducks or not.

For a first season I am pleased with how it went. Also, being from the south, we always hear about how Northerners are unfriendly, but this forum and the people I met while hunting proved that wrong. I had a lot of people give me helpful advice on this forum and actually met up and hunted with a few. Did not encounter many hunters that were anything other than really friendly and did not have anyone set up right on top of me either.

I was able to build up my spread and find a few good places where birds seem to be. I am planning on investing in a sneak boat for next season and am looking at rescue labs to retrieve some of the birds that if I had shot would have been out of my retrieving range this season.

Thanks for everyone help and please post your results as well. I hope everyone has a good goose hunting spot.

Woodsman
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby jfallso » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Last edited by jfallso on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfallso
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Jfallso,

Sounds like you have a good setup for some goose hunting. I have been hoping to scout some fields and ask for permission to hunt them this weekend. I would like to get a few geese to put in the freezer, but I will have to see what the land owners say. I wish I could hunt the softball field in Nahant. There are always about 50-75 geese in that field, so on days when I returned home empty handed from a hunt the temptation to pull over was always huge. We should keep in touch about sneak boats. If you are planning to build one it would be cool to compare ideas. Hopefully next year I will also have a lab like yours.

Woodsman.
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby jfallso » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:02 am

Sent you a PM
jfallso
hunter

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting