New England

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

New England

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:53 pm

I can think of no other place that has meant so much to me. Though I have not experienced to many other places in my life over the years, I always feel settled here. I have been to France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Canada, and most states on the eastern seaboard. While I still desire the chance to see the rest of the USA I can't help but think we live in the best part of the country. So, to my fellow New Englnaders I wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: New England

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Happy Holidays to you as well Bill :beer:
I agree about New England being a great place to live. I have been to 43 countries and all the states and territories. I could have settled down almost anywhere when I retired but couldnt wait to settle back down on the south shore. :thumbsup:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REN12 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Great post, I have flown over, been stationed, and deplyed to places with familiar names. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, over twenty years ago. Mogadishu, Somalia a couple years after, Port au Prince, Haiti several months after that deployment. I am home now in Massachusetts. With a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters. Say a prayer for the men an women over seas this Christmas, and hope they are home some day too.
REN12
hunter

Postby JTR » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:12 am

I agree that New England is a great place to live. While we may not have world renowned bucks or duck filled prairies, it would be tough to argue against the fact that we have some of the richest fishing and hunting history in the country. It is pretty cool to hunt the same birds and catch the same fish that the founding fathers of our country fed to their families.

I've seen a lot of the country, and while my friends may swear that I belong in the south, I'm very content calling Mass my home. That being said, I wouldn't mind spending a year or so in Alaska or under the sun in the Keys. :grooving:
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Amen folks. I love it in New England and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm working like hell to get to the coast right now. I live 35 miles inland and feel like it's too far. I couldn't imagine living hundreds of miles from the coast.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Could not agree more. New England is the best.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby VaTailfeathers » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 am

Yep, sure is pretty. You have waterfowl, big game, stripers, all that other salt water fishing too. Some NE states have gun control up the wazoo, others opposite. Cold winters, but thats good for hunting and if you are retired, you can always hit the road south for a few months after hunting season is thru. Some states are taxed to death, others again , not so much.
Me? Looking ahead at retirement, I'm looking south, at the Carolinas. Maybe further south, but always along the shore. Got to be within 15 minutes of that salt water and all it's fun. I'll be older then and a warmer place seems better, plus the dollar goes further.
Don't get me wrong, New England is a beautiful and a great place too, just warmer is better for me, me thinks.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby nausetduckhunter8 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Very true! Family has been here since the 1600's, grandmothers family straight descendants from the Mayflower! Haven't managed to find our way off the cape since we got here ha! Hell of a place.
nausetduckhunter8
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:37 am

nausetduckhunter8 wrote:Very true! Family has been here since the 1600's, grandmothers family straight descendants from the Mayflower! Haven't managed to find our way off the cape since we got here ha! Hell of a place.

From my birth until the mid eighties I spent many summer days, every summer, in Wellfleet. It was a great place back then, I don't know if it still carries the same charm as it did then.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Jofa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 am

I've been all over Europe and the Middle East with Uncle Sam, and I can say nothing beats the USA in ANYTHING, especially the great outdoors, hunting and fishing we have! Most every other country had either destroyed their environment with over population and development, or just plain hunted everything out.

Not only do we have access to plenty of open forests, New England has had an incredible resurgance of wildlife in our lifetime. Deer are absolutely everywhere, and with them follows ever increasing numbers of coyotes. The turkey story is increadible too, having been re-introduced maybe 30 years ago, they are now all over the state providing great hunting opportunities. Black Bear are now all over the East Coast, and I've talked to local folks who say mountain lions and wolves have been spotted up in Vermont and Maine!

Great success story for New England!
Jofa
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Jofa wrote:I've been all over Europe and the Middle East with Uncle Sam, and I can say nothing beats the USA in ANYTHING, especially the great outdoors, hunting and fishing we have! Most every other country had either destroyed their environment with over population and development, or just plain hunted everything out.

Not only do we have access to plenty of open forests, New England has had an incredible resurgance of wildlife in our lifetime. Deer are absolutely everywhere, and with them follows ever increasing numbers of coyotes. The turkey story is increadible too, having been re-introduced maybe 30 years ago, they are now all over the state providing great hunting opportunities. Black Bear are now all over the East Coast, and I've talked to local folks who say mountain lions and wolves have been spotted up in Vermont and Maine!

Great success story for New England!

And you have the world famous Striper fishing, Blues, Cod, on and on. I imagine the fresh water fishing is good up there too. And you bums are what? a couple of hours ride to the wilds of Canada?
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Go Patriots!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Attachments
belichick-rings.jpg
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 am

Professor_Leakey wrote:Go Patriots!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

and brass knuckles are legal! :yes:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:11 am

headed to the ice shack in maine this afternoon for another New England tradition...smelt. perfect gametime food, fries with eyes.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby redheads&greenheads » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 am

Mass girl born and raised. Somehow got stuck in NYC, what I wouldn't do to be home on the Cape!
--------------------------
"When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
-Aldo Leopold
redheads&greenheads
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 am

redheads&greenheads wrote:Mass girl born and raised. Somehow got stuck in NYC, what I wouldn't do to be home on the Cape!

:welcome: home!! well almost. Your only 4-5 hours away.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting