Decoy weights for coastal marshes

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

Decoy weights for coastal marshes

Postby buowill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:48 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what size weights to use for decoys while hunting in the coastal marshes. Some of those channels have some strong incoming/outgoing tides, so I was curious what the lightest weights were that I could get away with. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Also any tips on how to make your own weights would be welcomed. Thanks!
buowill
hunter

Re: Decoy weights for coastal marshes

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:08 pm

I have used the mushroom style anchors for years in the salt and river situations with slow to moderate current. I don't think my weights are more than 10-12 ounces. I honestly forget the exact weight of them. Bought them from Cabelas. If you have current that is strong enough to worry about, Cabelas and other outlets have sold the grapple style weights in heavier weights. I really don't think you need to go very heavy unless you're running a longline rig of multiple blocks.
:welcome:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby buowill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks, Baymen Moe. I actually have a few of those and I was going to give them a try. I wasn't sure if they would be heavy enough, but coming from someone who has done it, I'll take your word. Thanks again!
buowill
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Here is a tutorial that I did a while ago on making your own weights:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=201083&p=1794813#p1794813

I think it is important to keep a couple of things in mind. First, a spot that has 2 feet of water at low tide, might have 12 feet of water at high tide, so make sure that you not only have enough weight, but that you also have enough line. Also, this time of year, ice can be a major issue. No matter how much weight you have, if there is any ice flowing, it will probably ruin your day.

As far as weight goes, I use 4-6 ounces on my ducks and 8 on my geese, but I'm not hunting any significant current. I would probably double that amount if I were to hunt bigger tidal rivers. The amount of weight that you will need to hold bottom will depend on the style of anchor. You can probably get away with less weight if you use an anchor similar in style to the guys fishing the outer banks. They are a pyramid style sinker, with prongs, so that they can grab the bottom.

I don't hunt big spreads in the marsh.... probably 6-10 decoys. I find that black ducks tend to stick in smaller groups, and since many of the mallards have moved on, blacks are the primary target. So, more weight doesn't really affect me, since I'm not lugging around a couple dozen decoys. I think experimenting is key. Find what works for the areas that you are hunting.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:24 pm

16 oz. loop style weights with 20' of line will suit you well in most marshes. That's what I use. The good thing about the loop style weights is you can wrap the line around the weights and then store them all in a bucket. I leave the bucket with the weights in the boat.

On many of my weights I've also added a 9' section with a 2nd clip. That way you can put 2 decoys on one weight. Makes it easier for putting out and picking up when it's cold out.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby buowill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:31 pm

JTR,
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be putting it all to good use soon. I've hunted with a buddy in the past in a spot that was off of the main channel of a river, so the current got strong at times. And as far as the ice is concerned, unfortunately I've also had to deal with that. I've been duck hunting for the last few years, and I've really taken a liking to it. Of course, my buddy and I can't normally go on the same day, so I've been getting some gear together over the last two years and now I only need to figure out the weights for the decoys. I appreciate the advice, and thanks for the link!
buowill
hunter

Postby buowill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:48 pm

Mike M.,
Thanks for the help. Where do you find the loop style weights, or do you make them yourself?
buowill
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:42 pm

I got them from Cabelas many years ago. My understanding is that they don't make them anymore. Macks prairie wings has 12 oz loop style. I think you need at least 16 oz. though if you are hunting where there is a good current.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 am

I use window weights. Not everyone can get them but you can probably tie your canoe to one.
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:39 am

the begiiners decoy anchor for the coast...

get a good solid piece of OAK, get a router and gouge and capital H in it 4 or 5 places in a row. about 3/4" deep, try and be consistant make the width of the lines in the H at least .5 wide....make the height of the H at least 6" andf make the over all width of the H at least 4"

the H actuualy should have two cross bars one at the top and one at the bottom leaving about 1/2" of ears.

mix in 50% pure lead and 50% tire weights melted in a pot...outdoors!!!

get a ladle and pour your anchors into the oak mold...after 5 or 6 the wood will be charring up and you move onto the next H cut in the wood...

H style anchors set themselves....just unhook the loop off the ear and throw the decoy and acnhor together to the spot you want the decoy....the decoy hits the water and floats and the anchor unravels till it hits bottom underneath the decoy...when the tide comes in...the decoy lifts the acnhor and it unravels another time and more line comes off......self setting

heres a picture of the metal molds of two different style "H" anchors.....the bigger one allows the use of gloves for rewinding....

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby kal9wt » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Spot on Tool. That's what's worked for me. Used a foredom instead of a router but other than that exactly my program for tidal anchors. Then I hit them with a couple coats of plasti-dip to hopefully keep myself from lead poisoning. Guess the jury is still out on that though
cause you can't starve us out, and you can't make us run
cause we're them old boys raised on shotgun
kal9wt
hunter

Postby buowill » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:21 pm

toolmaker and kal9wt,
Thanks for the advice, and Tool, thanks for the visuals...I think I'll try that route. Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, it helps to get a few pointers. I've been hunting for 20 years, but only duck hunting for 3, I can use al the help I can get!
buowill
hunter

Postby kal9wt » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:19 pm

They work.
cause you can't starve us out, and you can't make us run
cause we're them old boys raised on shotgun
kal9wt
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Good point on the plasti dip. I forgot to mention that. I've done that to all my weights and it protects the decoys and gunwall of the boat from getting banged up.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting