What to do after Waterfowl Season? Coyote Hunting Anyone?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

What to do after Waterfowl Season? Coyote Hunting Anyone?

Postby Jofa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Anybody going out to lower the population of these rotten chicken stealers?

My buddy has a hord of em on his farm, and so far they ate his kids' pet ducks, ate several chickens, ran off most of the deer and any turkeys / upland birds that might stray in there.

Went out this evening and bagged one real quick, called him in and nailed him 25 yards away. Coyote had a buddy with him that i tried to lure back after the shot but he wouldnt fall for it. I had to sit there an extra 30 minutes before he left, i didnt want to teach him to associate my call with seeing a person. hopefully he didnt see me? but they are always smarter than anyone gives them credit for,

anyway, heres some bragging pics... :yes:
Attachments
coyote.gif
coyote2.jpg
Jofa
hunter

Re: What to do after Waterfowl Season? Coyote Hunting Anyone

Postby Jofa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:09 pm

PS:

A little Mass Hunting Abstract Rant here:

The coyote hunting rules are absurd, it says you can use a rifle or a handgun, but if you use a shotgun - you have to use BIRDSHOT? That makes no sense at all!

It says I can shoot any caliber rifle or handgun at coyotes during daylight - but watch out! That buckshot is far too volitile!! Oh brother!!

And that birdshot must be less than or equal to .230 inches too! so be sure you have your micrometer handy to check your pellets!! Give me a break!! :no:
Jofa
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 pm

I'll be going out to my pheasant spots once duck season is done and i should be able to run across a couple coyotes out there.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Nice job on the song dog :thumbsup: I will be after them when the coastal season closes.

As far as the regulations the law was ammended recently to allow rifle and hand guns but the proposed legislation didnt address changing the existing shot sizes for coyotes while they were at it. T- shot and F- shot in the Dead Coyote rounds are legal and do a great job with the right choke tube.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kjm1022 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 am

Ive never hunted for them, but do you use some sort of rabbit decoy, is it legal?
And furthermore, what the heck do you do with them?
I do have a new Ruger Mini-14 that's begging to be shot. :beer:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:35 am

We were brushing a new field blind on a farm outside of Richmond two weekends ago and one ran across the field. It was comical as heck to get the rifle out and uncased, loaded and fired from 3 different positions as he tranced across the field. My buddy missed 3 shots. In all that turmoil, I should have taken my chances with my Glock also , but didn't. Oh well. Yote hunting after the goose season is closed would give us something to do, and we can be comfortable from the blinds. We have a deer blind on a trailer, enclosed, sliding windows, heat. Hmmm, tow that to near the gut pile ditch, fire up the e caller. Do they make a rabbit mojo? :beer:

As far as what to do with it. Taxidermy on just the coat isn't that much, and would look great on a wall.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am

congrats on the coyote! ive never shot one. i have heard their pelts are nice but that you have to be wary of mange as it is contagious.

my plans for after the season hopefully involve dusting off the tip-ups and drilling a few holes in the ice, weather permitting. the warm forecast for this week have me wondering if it will even happen down here...though ive got a maine license for 2013. would like to catch a togue through the ice or maybe a cusk (would be a first for me).
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Jofa » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Mass Hunting Abstracts says it is ok to "hunt coyote and fox using bait, decoys, electronic or manual calls, and dogs." i think a little mouth call is all you need. I've put out bait like deer carcasses, but i've never seen anything near the bait during daylight. If you set up like youre turkey hunting and call a little, you'll do fine. They say if nothing responds to calls within 30 minutes, just leave and set somewhere else.

I wouldnt mind using a rifle, but getting a coyote to come out into a field during daylight (so you can use the rifle's capabilities) would probably be a challenge, so setting up in the woods with a shotgun would probably be best.

I just picked up a box of size T shells, it was the biggest birdshot Bass Pro carried. This regular box of 3 inch / 25 shells was $22.00, while the special "Dead Coyote" box of size T shells was $52.00 for 10! :no: This birdshot rule is silly, but the abstracts are specific in saying you cant possess buckshot outside of deer shotgun season, so what are you gonna do? Im gonna guess that this birdshot rule is from ye olden days when they assumed people would autmatically use coyote season as an opportunity to poach deer?
Jofa
hunter

Postby briggsy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Yup, we will be doing as much coyote hunting as possible. We are also trying to locate some late season geese....our buddy and his wife have perfected the jerky production line. We got spoiled with it during deer season...time to re-fill!! My Brother picked up a foxpro caller this year...and with a new primos decoy, and new caller, we might actually get one to come in for a look!!! briggsy
briggsy
hunter

Postby seaneen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:59 pm

For anyone interested, Bass pro have some seminars on Sat coming, also have a demo on skinning a coyote.
Seaneen
seaneen
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:14 am

I was on Carlson's website a week or so ago. They had Coyote chokes on sale for like $20 or so.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 am

You terrible, evil men are killing those cute dogs!!!
SHAME!!!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby briggsy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:19 am

I guess my brother's new foxpro call works, he went out yesterday after work for a yote hunt, and this came running out...
bobcat 2013.JPG
briggsy
hunter

Postby briggsy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 am

a close up of the head.....i didn't have a good camera last night....but this bobcat weighed in at around 15-20lbs...awesome cat...
Attachments
bobcat 2.JPG
bobcat 2.JPG (34.11 KiB) Viewed 691 times
briggsy
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 am

Nice Job on the Bobcat Jeff :thumbsup:

I picked up the primos Turbo Dogg 2 years ago and it works awesome. If you are board play the Blue Jay and see what happens in the back yard :biggrin:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby briggsy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:19 am

MIKE J. wrote:Nice Job on the Bobcat Jeff :thumbsup:

I picked up the primos Turbo Dogg 2 years ago and it works awesome. If you are board play the Blue Jay and see what happens in the back yard :biggrin:

LOL, this was posted by Briggsy...it was my older brother that got this one...hehe....have to give him credit....
briggsy
hunter

Postby ChrisR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Bobcat's absolutely hate coyote. I remember a nice single bobcat vs. yote fight when I lived near western Mass. Probably 6 yotes on one cat. Cat won. Nice bobcat. You won't get many chances at them. Although maybe they are the new fisher cat. :smile:
ChrisR
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting