new to hunting

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

new to hunting

Postby JZ » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:57 pm

Hi all-

I live about 20 minuets outside of boston and am interested in hunting. I was wondering if anyone could reccomend where i begin like people to go with, groups, and things like that. I'm only 17 so i dont know if thats a problem.

Thanks for the feedback
JZ
Newb

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:59 pm

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby duckdoc » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:42 pm

JZ- first off, being a minor, you will need to discuss this with your parents/guardians, as they will need to be involved- in fact, you can't purchase/own a shotgun at your age without parental permission and an FID permit- can't obtain FID card in this state without signed parental consent if less than age 18. Go with parent/guardian to your town/city Police Dept to get info/application for FID card.
In the meantime, would also advise you consider joining Ducks Unlimited (about $25 per year) and attending the nearest DU banquet event- best way to hook up with local hunters. Go to DU website (www.ducks.org) for more info- find "DU in your state" on the left of the DU home page, and select Massachusetts to find out about local DU events. Also keep checking this forum for more local info as the season progresses.
Good luck, and good hunting!
duckdoc
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting