Thanks for your advice this summer

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Thanks for your advice this summer

Postby ps295701 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi all,
I thought I would post and thank everyone for their helpful advice over this summer. I made my move to MA in October from KS and by early December I received my unrestricted LTC A from the State.

Through a kind friend I made at a rod and gun club, I was able to get in on a few good public area hunts for inland puddle ducks and coastal black and sea ducks. Getting involved in a R&G type place I think is a must for transplants to the state in terms of meeting new people and having first-hand experience dealing with the complexities of being a sportsman in MA. One of the greatest things I’m still not used to was how close you actually hunt to residential and beach areas. This is still a total foreign concept to me and probably will be for a while.

This past week, my family from Ohio came to visit and we booked a great sea duck hunt with Capt Jack Golini. He was able to put us on the birds and we had some of the best duck hunts I’ve ever been on. We took a four man limit of scoters and eiders in just a few short hours. I’m totally preaching to the choir here, but holy crap you need to lead those things by 8-10’ to bring them down and then save your third shot to hit them again :hammer: . This seriously ranked up there with spring conservation snow goose season!

IMG-20130128-00022.jpg

After all this fun, I can’t wait for turkey season and striper fishing! Now to find a boat for next season.

Many thanks again everyone for all your helpful advice.
ps295701
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting