The annual "dont hunt in my back yard" legislation

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

The annual "dont hunt in my back yard" legislation

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm

It's back again as usual, She's hoping it will get added support from the anti gun crowd in the wake of recent events. Hopefully It will stall and die like all the previous attempts.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H2188

Section 58. A person shall not discharge any firearm or release any arrow upon or across any state or hard surfaced highway, or within one hundred and fifty feet, of any such highway, or possess a loaded firearm or hunt by any means on the land of another within one thousand feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Re: The annual "dont hunt in my back yard" legislation

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:14 am

Concerning the 1000 foot part, that would lock up a lot of waterfowl hunting with all those waterfront homes. How does her proposed law, if passed interact with your state's Colonial hunting law?
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 am

TF,
Colonial ordinance wouldnt trump MGL. Hunters would have to be 1000 feet from a occupied dwelling to engage in any form of hunting.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tgs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 am

That does not even begin to sound like any fun... Good luck guys, glad I shot my M.A. turkey a few years ago to complete my N.E. quest.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 am

If it were to pass, I would literally have like three spots to hunt here in northeast MA.....
Joser06
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:58 am

If this passes I would have to seriously consider not hunting in Mass anymore. This would put a damper on most of my spots.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby Jofa » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Mass Wildlife did a lengthy article on this subject in recent years, and they were TOTALLY against this proposal. I recall seeing a map that showed current available hunting areas with the 500' of a dwelling rule compared to a map for available hunting areas w the 1000' rule, and w 1000' feet of stand-off, the hunting was pretty much NON-EXISTANT east of Worcester.

I'll see if i can find the article, but this lady would destroy hunting in Mass as we know it. If i recall correctly, she doesnt even represent an area that see much hunting anyway, Lowell or something?

FYI, the following was listed under "Bill History" for it.

1/22/2013 House Referred to the committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security

1/22/2013 Senate Senate concurred
Jofa
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 am

She represents Revere, this started years ago with a few folks that live adjacent to Belle Isle Marsh complaining about the hunting. They didnt like the response the EPO's gave them back then so she does this every year. The other proposals all went he same route, Introduced/ Senate concured and forwarded to Public safety for review. There will be a hearing sometime in the future.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting