turkey season...

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

turkey season...

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 pm

cannot get here fast enough. i know i am not the only one who is getting a little anxious about it. im planning to go over to the woman's farm where i hunt and drop her off some deer meat next week. i think she likes turkey season because she gets an extra hand from me mucking out horse stalls after each hunt.

i got my fan mount from the bird i shot last spring. thanks to andrew for taking care of that for me at cost. im hoping to top it this spring.

anyone else getting anxious for spring turkeys? 2 months to go!
Attachments
fan mount.JPG
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: turkey season...

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm ready to find a new spot, my son wants to go badly, and I'd love to put a hurtin' on one with the new Maxus. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Jofa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:37 pm

i hear ya, i've been aimlessly walking around the snow looking for these phantom coyotes, and have been lookng forward to calling in some gobblers real soon!
We heard some clucking the other evening while walking out into the woods to look for 'yotes, and saw a bunch of birds at the field's edge. Hoping they stick around till turkey season, maybe i can get my son his first bird this year too?
Jofa
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:36 am

Gary, thats so easy to do yourself. If you get one this spring let me know, Ill show you. Ive done a couple already, they came out great. :beer:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:09 am

i had it in the freezer a long time but then andrew offered to do it for the cost of materials. i checked it out online and yeah it looks easy to do. thanks for the offer kevin.

unless i get one bigger than last year's, i plan on using the next fan on a decoy.

speaking of turkey decoys....anyone seen those wounded gobbler decoys? i always love when you shoot a bird and the others come in and spur the heck out of it. not about to spend $120 on one but they do look cool
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby kal9wt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 am

Google primos dirty b... Seeing it back ordered on imarket.com for $72
cause you can't starve us out, and you can't make us run
cause we're them old boys raised on shotgun
kal9wt
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 am

$72 sounds better. thanks kal. oh and anyone that wants to see what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5NcEwx-aM4
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Jofa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

if you want to get the Toms going crazy, you should try that squeeling hen call, my buddy bought one and we gave it a try when we had 3 toms stalled about 100 yards away, and they went crazy when they heard it. it was like they couldnt control their gobble-reflexes whenever they heard it... :lol3:
Jofa
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:27 pm

I am itching to go so bad. I just got stationed here in Maryland but I refuse to chase Toms on the public lands around me. I have heard the horror stories. It is not worth getting shot at.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby JeffW » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Best decoy is no decoy. Get birds going in the woods and call em in, they always come to the sound, usually shoot them real close. There isn't any decoy for them to see 60 yards out and hang up wanting the hen to go to them.
JeffW
hunter

Postby Jofa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 pm

JeffW wrote:Best decoy is no decoy. Get birds going in the woods and call em in, they always come to the sound, usually shoot them real close. There isn't any decoy for them to see 60 yards out and hang up wanting the hen to go to them

Yeh, this can be very true, i've had some very good luck w nothing but a call and a shotgun. If you are in the woods, you can get a frustrated tom gobbling and searching all over for the hen he hears, and will often walk right up to you. Ive also had several hens lead toms away when - i am assuming - they saw my hen decoy as their competition.

on the flip side, Last year a buddy insisted on putting a whole spread of turkey decoys out, toms, jakes, hens and all. I didnt expect any birds to come in, but low and behold, 3 nice toms walked right into the middle of the decoy spread.

So theres lots of ways to trick these birds, but trying to figure out which trick to use is the fun part...
Jofa
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 am

gettin' there...25 days to go

i havent scouted out my spots yet but will be in another week or two. nothing like hearing them gobble from the roost and then seeing/hearing them fly down. it's about time to get over to visit the farmer letting me hunt her fields, bring her a couple hatchery rainbows. maybe shoot the woodchuck that was eating her pumpkins last fall. baymen, if/when i get that rascally rodent i will be sure to post up the recipe. im thinking red wine, root vegetables, onions, pressure cooker. :beer:

love this time of year.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Almost dusted a flock of like 8 with my truck on the on ramp today
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:gettin' there...25 days to go

i havent scouted out my spots yet but will be in another week or two. nothing like hearing them gobble from the roost and then seeing/hearing them fly down. it's about time to get over to visit the farmer letting me hunt her fields, bring her a couple hatchery rainbows. maybe shoot the woodchuck that was eating her pumpkins last fall. baymen, if/when i get that rascally rodent i will be sure to post up the recipe. im thinking red wine, root vegetables, onions, pressure cooker. :beer:

love this time of year.

Yummy, yummy, yummy...
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:10 pm

A friend took me up in maine when I went to college up there. It was my first hunt for them and I bagged a jake out of a mixed flock of hens and jakes. One of the funnest hunts I have ever had but I have no clue how to figure out where to hunt for them. Could anybody here help me out? Not looking for spots. More for a way to find birds and hunt em. I appreciate it
Joser06
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Scout a lot. You need to find areas that offer several things.

1. Roosting area. Turkeys like to roost in tall trees especially pines in the spring since they have foliage.
2. Food. Open fields are good l. Especially if the farmer spreads manure. They love to pick thru it for bugs. Grassy areas and hard wood stands are good. Turkeys scratch the leaves and feed. They scratch plate sizes circles down to Bare ground. They do it often, an entire ridge could be scratched over by a decent flock.
3. Strutting area. Toms will make their way to an area like a field to strut. They want to be somewhere they can see and be seen.
4. Dust bowls. They dust themselves to clean and get rid of bugs. Toms will hit these spots mid-morning to find hens.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm

joser, i am by no means a seasoned turkey hunter but i will throw in my two cents. i like hunting edges of fields with big old pines nearby. they like roosting in them. try to locate some birds late afternoon because they will be roosting close by. if you get out in some areas you think birds are roosting, little after sundown or a little before sunup, you can get them to sound off with a crow or owl call; easy way to locate them. they hate crows and owls. once you find out where they are roosting you can set up nearby, do a little bit of calling at first light, and hopefully get them to come to you before they hen up. if you can put em to bed you know where they will be at sunup...but just because theyre roosted doesnt mean theyre roasted. theres a lot of guys on here who know waaay more and hopefully they will throw in their two cents too. good luck. :beer:
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:I refuse to chase Toms on the public lands around me. I have heard the horror stories. It is not worth getting shot at.

a good idea to sit up against a wide tree, at least wider than your head.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:12 pm

What works for me may help you. I spend a couple weeks before the season scouting for turkeys in areas I have permission to hunt or is public land. If I see turkeys in a certain area (hens or gobblers) I add that spot to my list. If I see tracks, scrapings, or scat I add that spot to my list. I also try a crow or owl call early morning or after dark. They'll also shock gobble to a coyote howl. I even try some hen yelps, but only to get them to gobble. Once they gobble leave that spot immediately so he doesn't see you. I like to locate 8 or 10 gobblers before the season. Keep in mind that if you see turkeys in open fields or near roads other hunters have also seen them. Try to find birds that are off the beaten path. The harder it is to get to a spot the less chance you'll have of having to deal with other hunters. Even though you don't find a gobbler in a spot today doesn't mean he won't be there next week. They move around. Keep checking good looking spots.

Ten years ago when I started being serious about turkey hunting I wasn't even convinced there were any out there. Now I realize there are many places that have turkeys. You just need to recognize a potential spot, approach it quietly, don't over call, and above all don't move when you think one is heading in your direction. They don't always charge in and they can really pin point where you are even though you only gave a couple yelps.
duckstopper333
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting