Northbound Migration

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

Northbound Migration

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Was out checking turkey spots this morning and one wet corn field had in excess of 5000 Canada geese, about 50 snows, Then I noticed a puddle in a rye field and put the bino's on it and it had to have 500+ puddle ducks on it. Mallards, Blacks, Pintails, GWT, Gaddy's and a shoveler. I watched the field for an hour and it was an incredible show. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, saw a few turkeys too :biggrin:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Northbound Migration

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:08 pm

I took a walk today at Crowell Bog, formerly know as Baymens Bog. Tons of mallards, a few blacks and plenty of geese. But the sure sign of migration was a few red winged blackbirds. Spring is springing...I can usually call within a few days when the ringneck ducks show up in the ponds down the street from me. Should be around the 20th this year.

When you turkey guys hit the woods this season, be sure to look above your heads. The blizzard of 2013 has certainly changed the landscape and it pays to pay attention to that. Don't need a large limb or tree falling down on you out of nowhere.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Saw a ton of geese, mallards and blacks in the fields on the northshore today. The Merrimack had some goldeneyes and oldsquaw by the route 1 bridge too and mergansers are everywhere. Lots of birds around
Joser06
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm

Moe, we have ringers over here, they never really left as some of the ponds stayed open this year. Glad to hear the Redwing Blackbirds are back. I concur they are a sure sign of spring. :beer:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 pm

MIKE J. wrote:Moe, we have ringers over here, they never really left as some of the ponds stayed open this year. Glad to hear the Redwing Blackbirds are back. I concur they are a sure sign of spring. :beer:

I have a pair of ponds that bring in the ringers in the early spring. Even if the ponds are open all winter, they don't show until March. Love to see these handsome birds.
ringneck ducks.jpg
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby cut'emalljack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:I took a walk today at Crowell Bog, formerly know as Baymens Bog.

Oh how I miss Baymen's Bog. Waves and waves of mallards interrupted by the occasional flock of geese....
Cut'em
"Spot burning is for novice duck hunters, cyber scouters and pot-stirrers"

Proud member of Team FYG NEWTON
cut'emalljack
hunter

Postby JTR » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:03 pm

troll.jpg
troll.jpg (16.05 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm

That's ok Jeff. That hunt was memorable for me too. It was the only time I had hunters shoot directly towards me over my head during my work day. I guess it was worth it for the alliance though. Been wanting to bring that one up for a while, guess I took the bait.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby JTR » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:20 am

Baymen Moe wrote:That's ok Jeff. That hunt was memorable for me too. It was the only time I had hunters shoot directly towards me over my head during my work day. I guess it was worth it for the alliance though. Been wanting to bring that one up for a while, guess I took the bait.

Funny, I have a very specific memory of a certain alliance letting single shots fly directly over my head too. Nothing like hearing BANG and then hearing shot whistle over your head. I've been holding that one in for a while too. :hammer:

And before one of their members tries to point the finger at me.... It took place on public land. They beat me out there. I set up 150 yards away from them. Birds were most likely coming from the other direction, so they would have first crack at them. I also set up pointing away from them, just because of common courtesy. EVERYTHING I did was legal (since legality is ALL that matters, right guys?).

I shouldn't have been surprised when a few single shots started whizzing by, especially when there wasn't a bird flying within a half mile. Then I started thinking.... Is "the org" harassing me? Is "the org" that is here to protect hunters rights actually trying to make me fear for my safety if I continue to try and legally harvest game? Noooo... that would show an obvious character flaw. These guys are all about protecting the rights for all sportsmen. There is no way that they would try to spoil something for a fellow hunter who is just trying to enjoy some time in the field, being safe and legal.

Thanks Tim, I would never have recalled this unfortunate scenario if it wasn't for you.
JTR
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 am

JTR wrote: Then I started thinking.... Is "the org" harassing me? Is "the org" that is here to protect hunters rights actually trying to make me fear for my safety if I continue to try and legally harvest game? Noooo... that would show an obvious character flaw.

oh do you mean like say for instance hypothetically somebody speaks out against them on a public forum and then suddenly that someone starts receiving countless hypothetical emails for the next 6 months that include hypothetical threats to contact their employer and get them fired? you mean that type of harassment?

yeah, jeff, definite character flaws in that circle...

*correction, the hypothetical emails are countable. 83 minus the few that were hypothetically deleted before i started hypothetically saving them
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby JTR » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 am

Oh ya, I forgot about the dead seagull that I found right next to my blind during the opening week of coastal last season. Coincidence that "the org" had been threatening me about the blind in the weeks prior? I think not.
JTR
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting