Shipping shotguns out and back to MA for repair

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Shipping shotguns out and back to MA for repair

Postby ChrisR » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:55 pm

So I have a gun I want to get dipped. I was wondering if anyone here has shipped their gun out of Mass and back for repair or finish work and if there are any funky laws regarding how it has to be done that you could pass along? I haven't found a thing online so I'm assuming as long as I ship it with adult signature required there an back I'm set. This is Massachusetts though, land of many gun laws, so I figured asking here was best bet to get an answer to this question.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
ChrisR
hunter

Re: Shipping shotguns out and back to MA for repair

Postby duckstopper333 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:07 pm

It's been a few years since I sent a gun out of Mass. I had no trouble sending it out to Beretta and getting it back via UPS. On the way out I shipped it through one of those "mail boxes" outfits . Maybe the owner got confused about the laws, but he said " you've got to send it "next day air", which cost $35. (Which I guess is the law for handguns?) My shotgun was repaired and returned using UPS which cost only $7.

I imagine prices have gone up, but I suggest you go directly to UPS and ask them your questions.. They probably know our laws and you may save some money on shipping.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby wsumner » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:28 pm

I have shipped 3 guns out for dipping over the last 6-8 years and have had no problems. They went out UPS or
FedEx and returned the same way. All were shipped to and from VA.
wsumner
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:13 am

ChrisR wrote:So I have a gun I want to get dipped. I was wondering if anyone here has shipped their gun out of Mass and back for repair or finish work and if there are any funky laws regarding how it has to be done that you could pass along? I haven't found a thing online so I'm assuming as long as I ship it with adult signature required there an back I'm set. This is Massachusetts though, land of many gun laws, so I figured asking here was best bet to get an answer to this question.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I can understand your concern. It looks like the gun haters haven't caught on yet, but I wouldn't put it past the Cuomo"s Feinstein's and Bloombergs of the world to pass a law that requires that your shotgung gets shipped to your local FFL dealer and you have to get a background check to recieve it cause in the few weeks time it was worked on, you might suddenly be a felon. :fingerhead:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby WingBreaker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 am

Interesting.
It was my understanding that you could ship your gun using whatever carrier you desire, but it had to be shipped back to an FFL.
WingBreaker
hunter

Postby ChrisR » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:12 pm

VaTailfeathers wrote:
ChrisR wrote:So I have a gun I want to get dipped. I was wondering if anyone here has shipped their gun out of Mass and back for repair or finish work and if there are any funky laws regarding how it has to be done that you could pass along? I haven't found a thing online so I'm assuming as long as I ship it with adult signature required there an back I'm set. This is Massachusetts though, land of many gun laws, so I figured asking here was best bet to get an answer to this question.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I can understand your concern. It looks like the gun haters haven't caught on yet, but I wouldn't put it past the Cuomo"s Feinstein's and Bloombergs of the world to pass a law that requires that your shotgung gets shipped to your local FFL dealer and you have to get a background check to recieve it cause in the few weeks time it was worked on, you might suddenly be a felon. :fingerhead:

And don't forget at a nominal fee for the state of Massachusetts.

Thanks for the answers all.

WingBreaker I had heard someone say something similar to that myself. But I believe the FFL would consider that a transfer. I think after you do a transfer once you do not have to go through that again since it has already been logged at the dealer. That is kind of what I wanted to check on here. I know a few of the members had sent their guns out to be dipped in the past.
ChrisR
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting