Your Style of Waterfowling

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

Your Style of Waterfowling

Postby Tim D » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:21 pm

I was just curious on your style waterfowling, do you like to hunt from a boat , are you a seaduck hunter, or do you like to jump shoot duck the marsh , Tell us what you like or want to try!!

I myself like to shoot ducks and geese from a layout blind , or stand in flooded timber for mallards , I just love to see birds react to the call wether it's its on a duck call or goose its' awesome!!

Tim D :getdown:
Tim D
State Moderator

typ of hunting

Postby briggsy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:21 pm

I think the most exciting form of duck hunting is over decoys, calling in mallards. I was spoiled when I was stationed in CO, the central Flyway is awesome! Now, if you tell me there is a flooded corn field anywhere in MASS, I will show you how to knock em dead. I am lucky enough to have my own little honey hole out my back yard, (my brothers actually). We like to shoot marshes/flooded fields/timber, for woodies/teal/mallards. Since I have never seaduck hunted, I cant comment on that, but I sure would love to try that some day.
Plus, we get to spots nobody even finds....or is willing to try. We have two Stealth duck boats, no river or pond is safe. All I know, that if you deer hunt in MASS, that is the perfect time to scout for ducks as well, that is how my brother has found most of our spots. That is my five cents!
briggsy from Central MASS, stationed in FL, ADAF
briggsy
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:27 pm

You cant beat a Lay Out blind in the tidal marsh or in the field. :thumbsup: they're portable, low profile and effective.

"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flytackle » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:34 am

That's a great picture Mike.
I hunt mostly marshes and rivers over decoys, also duck hunt from the beaches. Some jump or pass shooting, but not as much as I used to. To me the best is over dekes - nothing like watching those ducks cupped and commited!
flytackle
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting