Dog training spot?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Dog training spot?

Postby kjm1022 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:32 am

So our 7 month old lab "Zoe" is progressing nicely so far. She has her basic obedience down, doing bumper retrieves, and working on "place" for blind and boat and starting force fetching now. She is very comfortable around shotguns as we have her at the club with us skeet shooting most weekends. Once the snow melts, we'd like to get her out in the fields with a decoy set up for some retreives on land and then move to water. Does anyone have a spot or a suggestion that would work where I dont need to worry about people (dog walkers), and using shotshell blanks? :help: Central Zone preffered...
kjm1022
hunter

Re: Dog training spot?

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:04 am

kjm i pm'd you a possible spot
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 am

I would contact Wayne Sumners (wsumner) or Ed Hurley (Edbuck) on here and talk to them. There is alot of places down this way but most have already been tied up with other handlers.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kjm1022 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am

I'm thinking I could go to a public spot easy enough for land training but the blank shooting concerns me. I dont need cops showing up followed up by an EPO and going through question and answer for an hour. I think Ive read you can use a starter pistol on wma's for training purposes?
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 am

kjm1022 wrote: the blank shooting concerns me. I dont need cops showing up followed up by an EPO and going through question and answer for an hour. I think Ive read you can use a starter pistol on wma's for training purposes?

i heard the same thing in the past but then i did a quick search and found this. maybe somebody can give a definitive answer on this. or you could call the epo's and ask them?

(j) Target Shooting. Target shooting or target practice on any WMA without the written permission of the MassWildlife Director or his agent. Permits are issued only for the target range at Martin Burns WMA. Contact Northeast Wildlife District. This restriction does not pertain to the use of firearms with blank cartridges for the purpose of dog training;
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting