stocking trucks

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

stocking trucks

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:07 pm

they're rolling again...got out today for a couple hours with a friend visiting from nh. windy as hell but we managed 4. couldve gotten more but got sick of the wind and left. hatchery fish get old quick but it is something to do until turkey season etc...
Attachments
rainbows.JPG
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: stocking trucks

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Ya, I'm not much on stockies (trout and pheasant), but it beats working in the yard. Nice rainbows too, for stockies. I expect a picture of the prepared dish of course. :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm

no pictures of prepared dishes, baymen. at least not yet. i filleted all the fish, fried two pieces up for my friend and i...and now the rest is cooking up in the stock pot. planning to make fish soup with whatever i have around. never made stock with trout before so im curious to see how it turns out.
Attachments
fish stock.JPG
trout fillets.JPG
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Nice looking fillets...
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Beautiful fish Leakey!!!
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:23 pm

the soup turned out damn good. i set the fillets aside and made a stock out of the rest minus guts/gills etc. i did throw in a trout liver as surprise for whoever shares the soup with me. andrew actually got it tonight so the anticipation is over.

strained the stock through a sieve and then picked out most of the meat and tossed the bones. got the stock on the burner and added a cup or so of white cooking wine, can of diced tomatoes, can of V-8, can of corn, a diced potato, and 5 trout fillets. seasoned the stew with garlic pwder, black pepper, salt, paprika, and some parsley flakes for the photo you asked for baymen.

the dog got to eat a lot of the mush in the strainer after picking out the meat from the stock. used nearly all of the fish. the stock and the soup from it are reallly good. i will be making this one again. i just wish i had a little lemon.
Attachments
fish stew.JPG
Last edited by Professor_Leakey on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Good stuff PL :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby JTR » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:45 am

Looks good Leakey. How do you make your stock? I've tried a few times, but just can't get it right.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:45 am

JTR wrote:How do you make your stock?

i just took the trout racks and made sure to pull out the gills, scrape out the blood from along the spine, and rinsed. threw them into the pot, half-filled it with water, and set it to low for maybe 2 hours, until it all just falls apart, stirring it up every once in a while.

then i dumped it through a sieve, put the liquid back in the pot, picked out any big chunks of meat in the sieve and threw it back into the pot too. i didnt add the whole fillets to the soup or any seasonings until maybe 30 minutes before i ate it. that way you have big chunks of trout and not mushy.

in the past when ive made turkey or crab stock i had to skim off foam that floats to the top...not with the trout. it made a great soup base.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:56 pm

caught a few more trout. i took 2 fillets, skin on, and soaked them in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a little bit of liquid smoke for only a few minutes. cut them lengthwise into strips and laid them on a baking sheet. sprinkled them with sesame seeds and cooked them in the oven at real low temp for maybe 2 hours. served it over white rice...it was real good.
Attachments
trout.JPG
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting