what have you been seeing lately?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

what have you been seeing lately?

Postby Joser06 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:57 pm

I have been dreaming about ducks for the last month and have been scouting for the next season. I have seen a lot of normal ducks for the area, mallard and blacks, but have seen some more different stuff over the last month. I have seen 5 green wing, goldeneye, scaup, all sorts of mergansers. Saw my first ringneck pair today and saw five woodies today also. What are you guys seeing?
Joser06
hunter

Re: what have you been seeing lately?

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 pm

was over at houghton's the other day catching a limit of trout and saw many geese, a couple pairs of mallards, couple pairs of woodies, and a beautiful drake ringneck. i love the sound of wood ducks early morning. :violin:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Lots of bird down this way. The swamps are high and hopefully the birds will stick around and nest locally. :beer:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cape-shot » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Joser, Ive been seeing a good mixed bag of birds around. I saw a couple of wood ducks fly out of a huge maple tree last week with no water within sight.
cape-shot
hunter

Postby JTR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 am

Got up close to a half dozen blue wings today. First time seeing fully plumed bwt in person, so that was pretty cool. Also saw a group of bird watchers the other day who were looking at a gadwall and wigeon through their scope. I couldn't see them though. Besides that, I've seen tons of woodies, mallards, blacks and geese while trout fishing. Also flushed a woodcock while checking the maple taps a couple weeks ago.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby woodsman1987 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Nice. I went to Central Mass today to scout a few areas for turkey hunting. I happened to drive by Delaney WMA and it was loaded with ducks and geese. I am def. want to try and hunt one of the state build blind there next season. I also stopped and walk through some of the wooded areas adjacent to the main reservoirs just for fun and even in the small streams leading into the reservoir were holding ducks. Another WMA nearby was also loaded up with ducks and geese coming into a flooded field. Seeing that today combined with skeet shooting all yesterday really has me wishing for duck season again.

Not a whole lot of luck on the turkey scouting side. Saw a few turkey signs but no actual turkeys. Hopefully next weekends scouting will be a little more fruitful.

Always nice to get outside.

Hope everyone is enjoying the nicer weather. 73 on Tuesday will be nice.
woodsman1987
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:08 pm

A few Gaddy's and lot's of Ringnecks around for the not seen much variety. Killdeer have shown up around the roofs of schools, a sure sign of spring, and lot's of woodies at my neighbors farm pond.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Nothing really out of the ordinary for this time of year. Beeing seeing your normal mallards, and blacks, as well a lot of mergansers. Both inland and on the coast. Rignecks showed up last week. Still seeing some sea ducks around and a few weeks back it looked like there was a big push of oldsquaws heading north.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Saw a bunch more woodies today and a few pairs of mallards and couple geese inland. The woodies are still very skittish and the mallards weren't concerned by me at all. On the Merrimack I saw a ton of mergansers and old squaw. a few large raft of unidentifiable divers there also.
Joser06
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 pm

MIKE J. wrote:Lots of bird down this way. The swamps are high and hopefully the birds will stick around and nest locally. :beer:

Looks like the birds are sticking around. I'm seeing a ton of mallard pairs as we'll as geese. More than I've seen the past two springs.
cape-shot
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting